Testudo and Lacerta

You have a picture of an amphibian or reptile and do not know, what it is! Ask here

Testudo and Lacerta

Postby Bernard Carrette » Fri Jan 13, 2017 10:39 am

I'm quite sloppy when it comes to identification of reptiles, just enjoy the encouter, take a picture if I can, file the picture and then forget to make the proper identification. I will correct this behavior as one of my good intentions for the new year! So meanwhile, when going through some pictures of this year, I found this two ones for which I'm not quite sure. Location : Greece, South Peloponnese (Mani penninsula). Can someone help me?
First I guess Testudo hermanni : although the narrowed shape in the middle looks like a marginata, the scales on the forelimbs makes me think of a hermanni.

Second : I guess a Lacerrta graeca juvenile. The flattened shape, the spots on the flanks and top tends toward graeca, but I still have a doubt as Podarcis peloponnesiaca is quite abundant here and can been seen almost every day with good weather conditions.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
Bernard Carrette

Hometown: Tubize

Re: Testudo and Lacerta

Postby Jeroen Speybroeck » Fri Jan 13, 2017 10:58 am

Marginata and graeca, I think. If you want to switch to the updated names of the species (it's been ten years since that was a Lacerta) and have a tool to help with IDing herps, our book is not that expensive. ;)
Jeroen Speybroeck
Site Admin

Hometown: Merelbeke

Re: Testudo and Lacerta

Postby Ilias Strachinis » Fri Jan 13, 2017 6:34 pm

Jeroen Speybroeck wrote:Marginata and graeca,

I agree :)
Ilias Strachinis

Hometown: Thessaloniki

Return to Herp ID´s