Turtle ID?

You have a picture of an amphibian or reptile and do not know, what it is! Ask here

Turtle ID?

Postby Kristian Munkholm » Wed May 31, 2017 9:21 pm

Alexander River, Israel, a couple of weeks ago:

Alongside Trionyx triunguis, Mauremys rivulata and - sadly but unsurprisingly - Trachemys scripta this odd looking specimen swam about.

It can't be Mauremys and it certainly isn't a typical Trachemys either, so what is it?

Some other species of released pet?

...or an old Trachemys with a darkened head and bleached carapace?
Kristian Munkholm

Hometown: Copenhagen

Re: Turtle ID?

Postby Ilian Velikov » Wed May 31, 2017 9:26 pm

Kristian Munkholm wrote:...or an old Trachemys with a darkened head and bleached carapace?

Yes, that's it.
Ilian Velikov

Hometown: Pravets

Postby Kristian Munkholm » Wed May 31, 2017 9:41 pm

Ilian Velikov wrote:
Kristian Munkholm wrote:...or an old Trachemys with a darkened head and bleached carapace?

Yes, that's it.

Thanks, Ilian

I suspected as much - because old Trachemys tend to end up looking sort of weird and nondescript and they're always the answer to these types of questions

It was the color of the carapace that threw me off, everything else seemed to fit.

I think I've seen thousands of Trachemys - including several old males with black heads and no discernible markings on the carapace, but I can't recall ever seeing one with a carapace quite so pale before.
Kristian Munkholm

Postby Mario Schweiger » Thu Jun 01, 2017 7:48 am

Ilian Velikov wrote:

Yes, that's it.

+1 ;)
Mario (Admin)

Please visit also my personal Herp-site vipersgarden.at
Mario Schweiger
Site Admin

Hometown: Obertrum

Postby Kevin Esser » Thu Jun 01, 2017 7:58 am

There is a lot of dust on your camera sensor!
You should clean that poor thing ;)
Kevin Esser

Hometown: Wiesbaden

Postby Ilian Velikov » Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:34 am

Kristian Munkholm wrote:I think I've seen thousands of Trachemys - including several old males with black heads and no discernible markings on the carapace, but I can't recall ever seeing one with a plastron quite so pale before.

I wouldn't rely too much on carapace colour for ID because it is often affected by too many factors, e.g. water chemistry, algal growth, age, etc. So it doesn't surprise me when I find odd coloured turtles. Some years ago I found an Emys orbicularis with very similar looking pale (but slightly more reddish) plastron.
Ilian Velikov

Postby Alexandre Roux » Thu Jun 01, 2017 10:03 am

Kristian Munkholm wrote:I think I've seen thousands of Trachemys - including several old males with black heads and no discernible markings on the carapace, but I can't recall ever seeing one with a plastron quite so pale before.

Near Lyon we have some with really pale carapace ( :roll: ) so I'm not that surprised
Alexandre Roux
Flickr Gallery
Alexandre Roux

Hometown: Beynost

Postby Kristian Munkholm » Thu Jun 01, 2017 5:13 pm

Ilian Velikov wrote:

I wouldn't rely too much on plastron colour for ID because it is often affected by too many factors, e.g. water chemistry, algal growth, age, etc. So it doesn't surprise me when I find odd coloured turtles. Some years ago I found an Emys orbicularis with very similar looking pale (but slightly more reddish) plastron.

Alexandre Roux wrote:

Near Lyon we have some with really pale plastron so I'm not that surprised

I hear you.

...but don't write plastron when you mean carapace just because I did... ;)
Kristian Munkholm

Postby Ilian Velikov » Thu Jun 01, 2017 5:17 pm

Kristian Munkholm wrote:...but don't write plastron when you mean carapace just because I did...

Damn! :lol: You did trick me there.
Ilian Velikov

Postby Kristian Munkholm » Thu Jun 01, 2017 5:20 pm

Ilian Velikov wrote:
Kristian Munkholm wrote:...but don't write plastron when you mean carapace just because I did...

Damn! :lol: You did trick me there.

Not on purpose, I'm afraid :oops:
Kristian Munkholm

Next

Return to Herp ID´s