Rana ??? Istria

You have a picture of an amphibian or reptile and do not know, what it is! Ask here

Re: Rana ??? Istria

Postby Jeroen Speybroeck » Tue Jul 25, 2017 1:02 am

Berislav Horvatic wrote:Well, let's say, most (very, very much) probably you did.

No, certainly. There's no way that's a dalmatina. Don't know why anyone would feel any need to cast even a shred of doubt.
Jeroen Speybroeck
Site Admin

Hometown: Merelbeke

Postby Mario Schweiger » Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:46 am

in this paper
PROGRAM MONITORINGA ZA LOMBARADIJSKU ŽABU (RANA LATASTEI) by Marija Kuljeric (no year)
(full in Croatian) is this distribution map of R. latastei in Croatia
Zwischenablage01.jpg

link to full paper: http://www.dzzp.hr/dokumenti_upload/20150821/dzzp201508211306020.pdf
Mario (Admin)

Please visit also my personal Herp-site vipersgarden.at
Mario Schweiger
Site Admin

Hometown: Obertrum

Postby Berislav Horvatic » Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:22 pm

Jeroen Speybroeck wrote:
Berislav Horvatic wrote:Well, let's say, most (very, very much) probably you did.

No, certainly. There's no way that's a dalmatina. Don't know why
anyone would feel any need to cast even a shred of doubt.

OK, OK, I just tried to be cautious, but if there's not "even a shred of doubt", I gladly accept the verdict.
After all, regarding frogs, I know next to nothing.

@ Jürgen: Where in Istria, please? (If it's an "old", already known and published locality, no harm done
by saying so. If it's a new one, some of us in the CHS "Hyla" might be interested.)

Mario Schweiger wrote:in this paper
PROGRAM MONITORINGA ZA LOMBARADIJSKU ŽABU (RANA LATASTEI) by Marija Kuljeric (no year)
(full in Croatian) is this distribution map of R. latastei in Croatia
Zwischenablage01.jpg
link to full paper: http://www.dzzp.hr/dokumenti_upload/20150821/dzzp201508211306020.pdf

From the filename I would guess the date of upload to be the 21st of August 2015. And it was uploaded to the
DZZP (State Institute for Nature Protection), as a project proposal. The attached distribution map is misleading
- blue indicates both watercourses and other water bodies (e.g. lakes), as well as the localities – don’t know why.
(E.g., on the island of Cres blue obviously delineates the Vrana lake, certainly not the habitat of Rana latastei.) But in the text everything is said quite clearly... Whether you understand Croatian or not, just read the toponyms and numbers.
I suppose/expect at least Ilian and/or Michal could jump in - the Slavic "brothers".
Berislav Horvatic

Hometown: Zagreb

Postby Jürgen Gebhart » Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:27 pm

Bero, near Motovun, in the Woods near the River Mirna.
Jürgen Gebhart

Hometown: Wiedergeltingen Bavaria

Postby Jeroen Speybroeck » Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:38 pm

Jürgen Gebhart wrote:Bero, near Motovun, in the Woods near the River Mirna.

Nihil nove sub sole.
Jeroen Speybroeck
Site Admin

Hometown: Merelbeke

Postby Ilian Velikov » Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:41 pm

Berislav, yes I understand about 70 % of the Croatian words. It's a shame that we haven't used the same alphabet since the Glagolitic. However at least in Bulgaria Slavs are only a small part of the genetic pool. We are more "hybridised" than the Pelophylax genus :lol: And that's true for the language as well. I believe it's the same for most Balkan nations but if you want to consider yourself purely Slavic that's fine. I don't want to start another Balkan war ;) Anyway, sorry for the off-topic everybody, it's just another subject I'm interested in.
Ilian Velikov

Hometown: Pravets

Postby Berislav Horvatic » Wed Jul 26, 2017 2:47 pm

Ilian Velikov wrote:We are more "hybridised" than the Pelophylax genus :lol: And that's true for the language as well. I believe it's the same for most Balkan nations but if you want to consider yourself purely Slavic that's fine. I don't want to start another Balkan war ;)

No, of course not, anything "purely Slavic" is an illusion, we are a rich genetic cocktail, difficult to disentangle.
But the South Slavic languages are less so. One can trace the development, changes, diversifications, influences from other peoples/languages, with much more certainty. Linguistics is a science...
Our genomes certainly do not and could not define you as a "Bulgarian", and me as a "Croat", but our mother
tongues do. That's the present situation. So, without "starting an another Balkan war", we can quietly discuss these things - maybe not here, but in private, since you said it might be off-topic here, and it really is.
Anyhow, I can read and understand any Bulgarian book on herps, no problem at all. I've tried, and it works.
Berislav Horvatic

Postby Berislav Horvatic » Wed Jul 26, 2017 2:52 pm

Jürgen Gebhart wrote:Bero, near Motovun, in the Woods near the River Mirna.

Thanks. Obviously you knew where to search, because that's the bull's-eye.
Berislav Horvatic

Postby Jürgen Gebhart » Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:26 pm

Berislav Horvatic wrote:Thanks. Obviously you knew where to search, because that's the bull's-eye.

Bero the true story is, we were on a hiking trail around Motovon when the frog crossed my way.
First thought was, I don`t move my lazy vacation ass for a Rana temporaria, but the Rana jumped to far for a Grassfrog, so I thought it was a R. dalmatina and I just have a few pics of this species that`s why I pictured the frog, back at the Hotel when I checked the pics I had some doubts.
Jürgen Gebhart

Hometown: Wiedergeltingen Bavaria

Postby Berislav Horvatic » Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:41 pm

Jürgen Gebhart wrote:Bero the true story is, we were on a hiking trail around Motovon when the frog crossed my way.

Whether you were aware of it or not, it really is "the bull's-eye" when it comes to Rana latastei
in Istria. So, if it was just accidental, then lucky you. If not, then you must have been very well
informed. I guess a man like you just doesn't give a damn about "snakefood" (same here), so...
Berislav Horvatic

PreviousNext

Return to Herp ID´s