Rana ??? Istria

You have a picture of an amphibian or reptile and do not know, what it is! Ask here

Re: Rana ??? Istria

Postby Berislav Horvatic » Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:44 pm

Ilian Velikov wrote: It's a shame that we haven't used the same alphabet since the Glagolitic.

No, it's not a shame, it's just history. As for me, I read & write the Cyrillic script effortlessly, and I learned
the Glagolitic one - just for the fun of it, of course. After all, in some parts of Croatia (notably the island
of Krk) it remained quite alive as late as the 19th century, as an official script, used in public documents.
This one is from 1470:

defran6kapan6_original_RED.jpg

Totally off-topic, yes, I know, I know, but it was Ilian who started it... Not mea culpa...
Berislav Horvatic

Hometown: Zagreb

Postby Michal Szkudlarek » Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:04 pm

Berislav Horvatic wrote:
Ilian Velikov wrote: It's a shame that we haven't used the same alphabet since the Glagolitic.

No, it's not a shame, it's just history. As for me, I read & write the Cyrillic script effortlessly, and I learned
the Glagolitic one - just for the fun of it, of course. After all, in some parts of Croatia (e.g. the island of
Krk) it remained quite alive as late as the 19th century, as an official script, used in public documents.

Totally off-topic, yes, I know, I know, but it was Ilian who started it... Not mea culpa...

Bero you know Kajkavian too dont you? (sorry for offtopic)
Michal Szkudlarek

Hometown: ...

Postby Berislav Horvatic » Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:42 pm

Michal Szkudlarek wrote:Bero you know Kajkavian too dont you? (sorry for offtopic)

I'm surrounded by it in this part of Croatia. But why do you ask?
Berislav Horvatic

Postby Michal Szkudlarek » Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:53 pm

Berislav Horvatic wrote:
Michal Szkudlarek wrote:Bero you know Kajkavian too dont you? (sorry for offtopic)

Im surrounded by it in this part of Croatia. But why do you ask?

I was studying philology for 3 years so i got interested in linguistics.
Michal Szkudlarek

Postby Berislav Horvatic » Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:57 pm

Michal Szkudlarek wrote:I was studying philology for 3 years so i got interested in linguistics.

But why exactly Kajkavian, and not Čakavian...? I know both, in addition to the Štokavian, which is
both my mother tongue and the basis of the standard Croatian, Serbian, Bosnian and Montenegrin...
all of them, of course. That was the idea in the 19th century... by no means a bad one, it made a lot
of sense. Nowadays, the situation for the Croats (in Croatia) is somewhat perverse - the standard
Croatian language (based on Štokavian) is for the majority of citizens of Croatia a foreign language,
to be painfully learned/trained at school...
As a friend of mine used to say: "It's easy for the Serbs (or Bosnians, or Montenegrins) to speak Croatian,
but most of the Croats have to learn it at school..." Fortunately for me, I had no problem with that...

This is for Michal only, so the rest of you just skip it as a totally off-topic contribution, and please don't
blame me or him.
Berislav Horvatic

Postby Michal Szkudlarek » Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:02 pm

Berislav Horvatic wrote:
Michal Szkudlarek wrote:I was studying philology for 3 years so i got interested in linguistics.

But why exactly Kajkavian, and not Čakavian...? I know both, in addition to the Štokavian, which is
both my mother tongue and the basis of the standard Croatian, Serbian, Bosnian and Montenegrin...
all of them, of course. That was the idea in the 19th century... by no means a bad one, it made a lot
of sense. Nowadays, the situation for the Croats (in Croatia) is somewhat perverse - the standard
Croatian language (based on Štokavian) is for the majority of citizens of Croatia a foreign language,
to be painfully learned/trained at school...
As a friend of mine used to say: "It's easy for the Serbs (or Bosnians, or Montenegrins) to speak Croatian,
but most of the Croats have to learn it at school..." Fortunately for me, I had no problem with that...

This is for Michal only, so the rest of you just skip it as a totally off-topic contribution, and please don't
blame me or him.

Which subdialect of Shtokavian is your 1st language? I was brought up speaking new "new mixed dialects". People from Kresy (so patially my ancestos) were moved to Recovered Territories and they relinquished their original dialects in order to be understood by other Poles, not necessarily from Kresy.
The majority of Poles expelled from the Kresy were settled in newly annexed regions in northern and western Poland, adopting so-called new mixed dialects. However, among the older generation is still found a type of Kresy dialect which resembles Ukrainian or Rusyn in some ways, especially in the "longer" pronunciation of vowels.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dialects_of_Polish
Michal Szkudlarek

Postby Berislav Horvatic » Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:39 pm

Michal Szkudlarek wrote:Which subdialect of Shtokavian is your 1st language?

My mother tongue, or 1st language, is more or less the standard Croatian (version of Štokavian) - owing to
my parents, who were both school professors... That's a rare case indeed - normally, any standard language
is noone's mother tongue, as a rule, it's something artificial, coded by the state (the ministry of education,
or whichever...) ), learned/trained at school... I was lucky... or not? My mother tongue is almost nobody's
mother tongue...
Berislav Horvatic

Previous

Return to Herp ID´s