Unknown lizard from Norther Spain

You have a picture of an amphibian or reptile and do not know, what it is! Ask here

Unknown lizard from Norther Spain

Postby Avery Leatherwood » Sat May 09, 2020 10:52 am

Hello everyone!
So... i dont have a picture for this, so it will probably be a bit difficult... but i have been going on bike rides a lot recently (since the spanish quarantine has lightened slightly) and twice i have seen this giant unknown lizard. I would say it is about the size of an ocellated lizard (Timon lepidus) but it is brown. And its head is super broad, making me think of a caiman lizard. Honestly i have only ever seen it run across the path in front of me (and it is SUPER quick), but it is a spitting image of a bearded dragon in those milliseconds i see it. I can only describe it as a tan color (i can't really say much detail as i have only seen it for a second at a time) so any ideas? My thought is that maybe it is some kind of Psammondromus due to the color, but the size is what baffles me. Any ideas are welcome!!! I am going out to the same spot today, with my semitelephoto lens, so i will try to spot it from far off, and get some photos to be able to see.
Avery Leatherwood

Hometown: Pamplona

Re: Unknown lizard from Norther Spain

Postby Mario Schweiger » Sat May 09, 2020 12:59 pm

I am sure, those have been old males of the ocellated lizard. They have a very large, nearly unproportinal and sometimes in a more grey brown colour
Mario (Admin)

Please visit also my personal Herp-site vipersgarden.at
Mario Schweiger
Site Admin

Hometown: Obertrum

Re: Unknown lizard from Norther Spain

Postby Avery Leatherwood » Sat May 09, 2020 1:35 pm

Ok, that makes sense. I didn't know that they can become that sort of color, so it makes sense that it would be an ocellated lizard because of its size. This is very helpful, thanks for the reply!
Avery Leatherwood

Hometown: Pamplona

Return to Herp ID´s