French Frogs...and a lizard.

You have a picture of an amphibian or reptile and do not know, what it is! Ask here

French Frogs...and a lizard.

Postby GertJan Verspui » Sun Aug 15, 2010 2:38 pm

Hello, I was in southern France and saw a lot of frogs, which I could not ID properly.
I hope one of you guys/ladies can help me out.
Of each one I cought I made 2 pics.

The first 6 are from the same river close to Privas in the Ardeche region.

a.jpg
1st frog

aa.jpg
1st frogs leg

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

b.jpg
2nd

bb.jpg
2nd

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

c.jpg
3rd

cc.jpg
3rd

d.jpg
4th

dd.jpg
4th

e.jpg
5th

ee.jpg
5th

20.jpg
6th

20a.jpg
6th

The next frogs are from the Gardon river, west of Pont du Gard.

f.jpg
7th

ff.jpg
7th

g.jpg
8th

gg.jpg
8th

At the Gardon river there were also a lot of lizards who looked like P. Muralis, but they were all more slim and with a more pointed head.
Here 2 pics of them, a drowned one and a living one.

l.jpg
Lizard

ll.jpg
lizard

Good luck with my "problems"...

GertJan.
Amphibian & Reptile Adventures http://www.gertjanverspui.com
Instagram: @gj.verspui_wildlife
Facebook: Gerrit Jan Verspui
GertJan Verspui

Hometown: Giessenburg

Re: French Frogs...and a lizard.

Postby Daniel Kane » Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:16 pm

Hi GertJan,

As far as I know, the water frog possibilities in the area you visited are Pelophylax ridibundus, Pelophylax perezi, Pelophylax kl. grafi and possibly Pelophylax kl. esculenta and Pelophylax lessonae. For the last two species the Collins field guide shows a question mark (over the area you were) on their distribution maps, so I'm not sure if they are found there or not.

Frog 1: Marsh frog - Warty apperance, metatarsal tubercle small, frog itself looks fairly large.
Frog 2: Iberian Water Frog - Metatarsal tubercle small and flat
Frog 3: Iberian Water Frog - Smallish, flat metatarsal tubercle, pointed snout, greenish body with more brown coloured dorselateral folds.
Frog 4: Marsh Frog -
Frog 5: Marsh Frog - ear drum only half it's width from the eye, pretty small tubercle
Frog 6: Graf's Hybrid Frog - Ear drum
Frog 7: Marsh Frog
Frog 8: Marsh Frog

Lizard 1: Catalonian Wall Lizard - Striped, no reticulation on the body, fairly weak vertebral stripe
Lizard 2: Common Wall Lizard - Tail has white bars on the sides, reticulated pattern on the body.

Hope this helps. I am by no means an expert at identifying pelophylax frogs, but that's what I think.
Daniel Kane

Hometown: London

Postby Mario Schweiger » Mon Aug 16, 2010 8:10 am

First I have to admit, I´m not really specialized in Pelophylax determination ;)

According to:
MURATET, J. (2008): Identifier les Amphibiens de France metropolitaine

in the area Privas, only the "central European" species ridibundus, lessonae and esculentus are occuring.
So 1 & 4 should be esculentus, 2, 3, 5 & 6 should be ridibundus (but esculentus may look like everything from lessonae to ridibundus ;) ).
For the Pont du Gard area I would say, both are kl. grafi.

Mario
Mario (Admin)

Please visit also my personal Herp-site vipersgarden.at
Mario Schweiger
Site Admin

Hometown: Obertrum

Postby GertJan Verspui » Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:43 pm

Daniel and Mario,

Thanks for your effort, Mario, are you sure that in the Privas region are no other Green frogs yet, 50km west of Valence, in Fay sur Lignon I found esculentus and their metararsal tubercle is very different from the ones in the Privas area.
Also a photo of an esculentus from the Meuse in the Verdun area.

k.jpg
esculentus from Fay sur Lignon

kk.jpg
esculentus from Fay sur Lignon

6.jpg
Meuse

6a.jpg
Meuse

My own thoughts about the frogs are:

1 & 4: March Frogs, triangular metararsal tubercle
2, 3, 5, 6: Iberian Water Frogs, rather small and flat metararsal tubercle
7 & 8: Maybe Grafs Hybrid Frogs, rather small, but more triangular metararsal tubercle

GertJan.
GertJan Verspui

Postby Mario Schweiger » Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:28 am

GertJan,

please find attached page 252 (PDF) out of Muratet with the distribution map of perezi.
So Privas should be out of the range or at its most outer limits?

privas.gif
map of southern France with "Privas" marked

PeloPerez.pdf
(32.21 KiB) Downloaded 264 times

Mario
Mario (Admin)

Mario Schweiger
Site Admin

Postby Jeroen Speybroeck » Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:42 am

In my opinion, the main thing to remember here, is that it says that its distribution is poorly (if not hardly) known, Mario. Pelophylax ridibundus has taken over a huge portion of the natural range of perezi in France. Personally, I would not bet my life on your identification attempts ;); adding ridibundus to the perezi-grafi mix makes it crazy. Just a few weeks ago, I even wondered about bedriagae in Massif des Maures... My (personal) conclusion: forget about it, without molecular sampling. There's a relevant paper (incl molecular stuff), demonstrating this mix, but I cannot seem to locate it straightaway...
Jeroen Speybroeck
Site Admin

Hometown: Merelbeke

Postby Mario Schweiger » Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:00 pm

Yes, thats what I´m thinking about too ;)
Just call it the "wet green ones" :lol: , if you havn`t molecular data (nucleus, and NOT mtDNA).

Mario
Mario (Admin)

Mario Schweiger
Site Admin

Postby GertJan Verspui » Tue Aug 17, 2010 3:05 pm

Nasty frogs, keep to your own kind and start carrying ID's.

At the Privas area I also saw and cought a white with light grey big frog with a light blue line on its back.

Very very goodlooking frog, but some one stupid (me) let it escape above the water, so it was never seen again, it would have been a good one to become a famous photo model...

(thanks Mario and Jeroen)
GertJan Verspui

Return to Herp ID´s