most wanted?

The place to talk about fieldtechnics, the stuff you use in the field and everything else

Re: most wanted?

Postby Berislav Horvatic » Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:47 pm

Jeroen Speybroeck wrote:You made me curious if anyone's ever seen an in situ shot of 2 European viper species basking together.
The only true syntopic species I've witnessed, was ursinii + bosniensis in Montenegro, ...

In Croatia it's ursinii + ammodytes, but no in situ photos yet with both in the same shot...
Berislav Horvatic

Hometown: Zagreb

Postby Jeroen Speybroeck » Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:44 pm

Berislav Horvatic wrote:
Jeroen Speybroeck wrote:You made me curious if anyone's ever seen an in situ shot of 2 European viper species basking together.
The only true syntopic species I've witnessed, was ursinii + bosniensis in Montenegro, ...

In Croatia it's ursinii + ammodytes, but no in situ photos yet with both in the same shot...

No ammodytes + berus ?
Jeroen Speybroeck
Site Admin

Hometown: Merelbeke

Postby Berislav Horvatic » Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:53 pm

Jeroen Speybroeck wrote:No ammodytes + berus ?

I know of one reliable find only, V. ammodytes and V. berus berus 460 metres from each other.
(There was not any difference in habitat or anything noticeable.)
But V. ammodytes and V. berus bosniensis seem to "avoid" each other extremely successfully.
Berislav Horvatic

Hometown: Zagreb

Postby Gabriel Martínez » Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:20 pm

wow, cold brings interesting plays!

1. Melanistic Vipera latastei/ Vipera ursinii / blue Rana arvalis / tiger designed aspis / macrovipera schweizeri / Vipera ammodytes / Telescopus fallax... I can´t decide just 1 :oops: I need to make more trips in Spain, also to Ventoux, Grecce and Belgium!

2. Best photo possible in Europe: maybe to flip a metalic thing and find a huge male Malpolon monspessulanus eating a Vipera latastei. It´s very difficult and I would feel sad about the viper but it could be very impressive, as indigo snake eating a crotalus but in spanish edition

3. My top 20 are (not count species I´ve already seen):

1. Pseudocerastes urarachnoides
2. Bitis nasicornis (juvenile very coloured)
3. Atheris hispida
4. Echis pyramidum leakeyi
5. Acantophis anctarticus
6. Crotalus cerastes (I know, I know)
7. Bitis gabonica
8. Dentroaspis polylepis
9. Aspidelaps lubricus
10. Eristocophis macmahonii
11. Naja nigricollis
12. Bitis caudalis
13. Echis ocellatus
14. Telescopus semiannulatus
15. Platyceps sinai (caused my the Israel herp fever about this pretty snake)
16. Montivipera wagneri
17.Vipera dinniki (black with orange zigzag)
18. Daboia russelli
19. Naja nivea (uniform yellow)
20. Dasypeltis medici
and more, more, more, more....

Jürgen Gebhart wrote:Most wanted in the world: Daboia palaestinae

+1: Some palaestinae individuals are probably one of the nicest snakes in the world
Gabriel Martínez

Hometown: Madrid

Postby Kristian Munkholm » Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:54 pm

Yeah - I'm bored as well...

1) I don't consider myself particularly list obsessed but nonetheless the list is long and it's hard to decide. Next up, however, must be Ichthyosaura alpestris - simply because it's the final native Danish species I'm missing. After that probably Coronella austriaca - cool little critters whose wide distribution, presence near Denmark and relative abundance makes it feel like a bit of an embarassment not to have seen one.

2) I am even less photo obsessed than list obsessed but as with the list, it's growing on me. I would just like to take a picture I'm satisfied with and I believe I could be satisfied with less than perfection. As is, I have photos where I am rather pleased with everything but the technical execution and others where, though not perfect, I am satisfied with the technique but none where both hold true. I'd be happy to take just one such picture. Oh, and btw, it would have to be in situ.

2a) All observations of animals engaged in interesting activity (feeding / fighting / mating / giving birth / laying eggs) are high on my list. Like Jeroen I have never seen two male snakes fighting. Nor have I seen any snakes feeding, any species giving birth or any reptiles laying eggs. Any of these would be great.

3) Way too many to mention. No single species has any special status for me though. Many of the first that might come to mind have already been mentioned by others though. To add just one more to those already in the thread (and the first in its order): Dermochelys coriacea
Kristian Munkholm

Hometown: Copenhagen

Postby Jeroen Speybroeck » Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:00 pm

Kristian Munkholm wrote:To add just one more to those already in the thread (and the first in its order): Dermochelys coriacea

Is actually in my list (leatherback) ;)

Who cares about esthetics, Kristian, as long you're happy with any picture, right?

Gabri, you're crazier than me :shock:
Jeroen Speybroeck
Site Admin

Hometown: Merelbeke

Postby Rok Grzelj » Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:28 pm

Im very modest abou species;
Malpolon,Telescopus,Z.situla,P.najadum,E.quatrolineata, the real V.b.bosniensis(not the false one from SW Slovenia)...

...also findings which are not "by the book"..at example; V.ursinii macrops at lower altitudes(less than 980m)... :)
Rok Grzelj

Hometown: Postojna

Postby Paul Lambourne » Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:48 pm

Rok Grzelj wrote:the real V.b.bosniensis(not the false one from SW Slovenia)

Rok, what do you mean by this, is there a doubt as to the authenticity of V.B. Bosniensis in Slovenia?.. sounds intriguing :D

Cheers Paul
Paul Lambourne

Hometown: London

Postby Bobby Bok » Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:51 pm

1) Being a filthy twitcher, any species is high on my list :D But I'm especially keen on seeing the Iberian Iberolacerta spec. and visiting Milos some day for it's endemics. Also Chioglossa lusitanica , Lyciasalamandra spec. and Vipera latasteiI hope to see. Luckily within three days a trip to Turkey and in April a trip to NW Iberia so some of these species will be added to the list hopefully.

2) Like many, observing/photographing behaviour is always a pleasure. This year I hope to finally photograph an amplex of Tree Frog and Natterjack and see male Adders in combat in the Netherlands. Outside of the Netherlands especially high on my list is to photograph some behaviour of Chamaeleo africanus this year in autumn, hopefully some egg laying females or hatching youngsters...

3) The world is too big! Would love to see Chamaeleo namaquensis in their natural habitat, such weird creatures. Also other chameleons are high on my list: Rhampholeon acuminatus, Rhampholeon spinosus, Rhampholeon marshalli, Rhampholeon gorongosae, Chamaeleo melleri and Chamaeleo calyptratus. Besides that; Pelamis platura, Dermochelys coriacea, Conraua goliath, Pyxicepgalus adspersus, Andrias davidianus, Daboia palestinae, Cerastes vipera, Tiliqua rugosa, Erpeton tentaculatum, Acrochordus javanicus, Atheris spec., Moloch horridus, Dracaena guianensis, Shinisauris crocodilurus, Bolitoglossa spec. and Telmatobius culeus. A lot to do still ;)
Bobby Bok

Hometown: Heemskerk

Postby Rok Grzelj » Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:55 pm

Paul Lambourne wrote:
Rok Grzelj wrote:the real V.b.bosniensis(not the false one from SW Slovenia)

Rok, what do you mean by this, is there a doubt as to the authenticity of V.B. Bosniensis in Slovenia?.. sounds intriguing :D

Cheers Paul

The eastern lowland populations seems to be bosniensis but not the SW Slovenian.
The SW Slovenian and NW Croatian seems to be from the Alpine clad
Rok Grzelj

Hometown: Postojna

PreviousNext

Return to FIELDHERPERS CAFE´