Morocco 2015

The place to talk about fieldtechnics, the stuff you use in the field and everything else

Re: Morocco 2015

Postby miguel santos » Sun Sep 28, 2014 9:30 pm

I was south of Agadir in July and had mist, clouds sometimes to to Fask (east of Guelmim and wind at night. Saw no snakes only some sheds. There are lots of lizards though, the habitat looks healthy and lots of rodends arround. I was told there is better chance of sun at the coast in all months exept August and sometimes July. This is because of the difference of temperature from the ocean and the interior of Morocco being the greattest. With a bit of sun and no wind (day or night) you must be able to see some nice specimens.
From Marrakech to Agadir you can take the motorway. Do not speed up there are lots of speed control patrols in Morocco, but in 3 hours you have the trip done.
I skiped Agadir and went straight to Massa. Tiznit is a bit further but also a good option, both have good habitats arround.
miguel santos

Hometown: maastricht

Postby Mario Schweiger » Mon Sep 29, 2014 8:01 am

miguel santos wrote:I was south of Agadir in July and had mist

At the end of September too. We had mist at this time of the year, so dense, you couldnt "see the hands in front of your eyes". Nearly the whole day long.
And yes, its the difference between the warm air from the desert, meeting the cold air above the Canary Current. But I'm always woundering, from where the humidity is coming, condensing to fog at the coast :lol:

Mario
Mario (Admin)

Please visit also my personal Herp-site vipersgarden.at
Mario Schweiger
Site Admin

Hometown: Obertrum

Postby miguel santos » Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:21 am

BY THE WAY: Norwegian airlines fly on saturdays (DY1690) from Oslo Gardermoen to Agadir (direct flight, 5h10min). return flight (DY1691). The flying times are good as well, or maybe a touch to late from Oslo.
Their site only shows up to March 2015 but I'm pretty sure that on the next update in Oktober you may already book in April.....

Miguel
miguel santos

Postby Thor Hakonsen » Wed Oct 01, 2014 2:34 pm

Hi Miguel,

I've looked in to that - and it looks like they only fly to Agadir in winter - all other routes for Norwegian is past march 2015.

But will keep a heads up.

I will probably take a family trip to Agadir in january, and try to get some lizard shots - as I understand the lizards is active also in winter
Thor Hakonsen

Hometown: Neskollen

Postby miguel santos » Wed Oct 01, 2014 5:49 pm

That would be a pity. But that would explain why april is not chargable.
If you go in January, maybe that best is to stay along the coast as the nights are less cold. I am already curious what you would see in January.
miguel santos

Postby Thor Hakonsen » Sun Dec 28, 2014 11:59 am

In 14 days, I will take a trip to Agadir for 1 week (10-17.january) - really looking forward to see what the area can give at winter time.

Will try to drive south towards Guelmin and other places along the coast. Any tips at all is off course appreciated

Ps : will also head back 2-9 april :)
Thor Hakonsen

Hometown: Neskollen

Previous

Return to FIELDHERPERS CAFE´