Herptrips 2015

The place to talk about fieldtechnics, the stuff you use in the field and everything else

Re: Herptrips 2015

Postby Bert Vandebosch » Mon Jan 05, 2015 6:34 pm

Jeroen Speybroeck wrote:I forgot another target for 2015. I know, I know, it's as silly as targets get :oops: , but I'm hoping to reach 500 species on my global herping list. Give or take a few, that means I need to see at least 28 new species this year :ugeek:

So, Herr Speybroeck finds it necessary to insault the rest of the team by doubting he will see more than 28 species in Malaysia. :evil:
I think we'll stick to Peter's plan. So don't worry, you can stay in the car, drink your beers and tick of your list while we bring you the herps!

My plans:

April: Malaysia
May: family trip most propably to Kos and Kalymnos (If too expensive, some other Greek island)
Hopefully a short but hardcore herping trip to Northern Italy for amphibians somewhere in autumn.
Bert Vandebosch

Hometown: Assent

Postby Bastien Comment » Mon Jan 05, 2015 7:38 pm

The only trip I'm already sure of is Mexico in the Yucatan area end of January-beginning of February. It's not a real herping trip as it's our honeymoon with my wife but we plan to look for wild life all the same. Btw, does anyone out here know a bit about this country? Especially about the legislation because my wife asked me not to spend even a minute in a Mexican jail for having handled a snake there :lol:

Other plans could include the Caucasus as my wife was born in Azerbaijan and her mother is from Armenia. So maybe a trip through Azerbaijan, Armenia and Georgia with the Vipera kaznakovi as main target (obviously). If it doesn't work this year, we could plan it next year. Morocco is also an option but the question for all those destinations would be when to go. Indeed, as I'll be in Mexico for a bit more than 2 weeks, I'm not sure I'll be able to plan something by the end of April yet and after April, I fear the temperatures will be too high in both Caucasus and North Africa. Eventually in Autumn.
Bastien Comment

Hometown: Lausanne

Postby Jeroen Speybroeck » Mon Jan 05, 2015 11:13 pm

Bert Vandebosch wrote:
Jeroen Speybroeck wrote:I forgot another target for 2015. I know, I know, it's as silly as targets get :oops: , but I'm hoping to reach 500 species on my global herping list. Give or take a few, that means I need to see at least 28 new species this year :ugeek:

So, Herr Speybroeck finds it necessary to insault the rest of the team by doubting he will see more than 28 species in Malaysia. :evil:
I think we'll stick to Peter's plan. So don't worry, you can stay in the car, drink your beers and tick of your list while we bring you the herps!

It's rrreally time for spring now, because I'm getting more unsolicited love from winter-depressed Belgian herpers these days than I can handle. :?
"How can stating an easily crushable target be an insult to anyone other than my lazy self?", he wonders as he books a solo 2 weeks in Iceland for next April.
Peter, Bert, only admin is allowed to write personal filth on this forum. :twisted:
Jeroen Speybroeck
Site Admin

Hometown: Merelbeke

Postby Matthieu Berroneau » Tue Jan 06, 2015 12:06 am

Two weeks in Morocco during spring...

...and three weeks in south-easthern Asia during automn if we find the money... :oops:

Bobby : North-eastern Turkey... :shock: It sould be great!
Matthieu Berroneau

Hometown: Bordeaux

Postby Bert Vandebosch » Tue Jan 06, 2015 12:13 am

personal filth
?

Merely some constructive teasing to keep your motivation high during this crappy time of year.
Just trying to avoid you retiring prematurely again. Because then scenes like this happen:

:) Remember?

with love

Bert
Bert Vandebosch

Hometown: Assent

Postby Peter Engelen » Tue Jan 06, 2015 8:39 am

So, Herr Speybroeck finds it necessary to insault the rest of the team by doubting he will see more than 28 species in Malaysia.

So my protest will be to search only for 32 species of snakes, and only bring 27 to the car. :twisted:
Peter Engelen

Hometown: Dilsen-Stokkem

Postby Jeroen Speybroeck » Tue Jan 06, 2015 12:04 pm

One could argue that wasting herping time by filming a brain-dead dragonfly lover is among the few things more idiotic than brain-dead dragonfly love. You know that quantity herping is for Real Men, Bert, not for me. In an attempt to neutralise your testosterone assault with an alpha male herping contest that may just lie within your limited abilities, I hereby (reluctantly) challenge you to reach 25% of the salamander counts I will do this year.

In all honesty, I'm not worried. Past travel experience tells me you and Peter both spend a lot of time in bed or on the toilet, crying out in despair, as soon as the tiniest mix of tropical medicine, greasy food, jungle conditions and/or prolonged lack of sleep come into play. In Peru there was no car. Only yours truly was present on each night hike. Despite the beer. I am ready to kick both your krentjes.

In the mean time, you both are welcome to annoy me by e-mail, instead of spoiling this thread. I'll be happy to adjust my spam filter.
Jeroen Speybroeck
Site Admin

Postby Jeroen Speybroeck » Tue Jan 06, 2015 12:07 pm

If anyone else suffers from winter illness, contributing to the Pelodytes thread seems more fun. I myself hope to score the first herps of the year next Thursday night, if the weather forecast doesn't change too much :D

Clipboard01.jpg

Try to see if that female that deposited larvae in this exact period on the same single spot for the last 2 years is back...

Bert, you know what to do ;)
Jeroen Speybroeck
Site Admin

Postby Jeroen Speybroeck » Tue Jan 06, 2015 12:24 pm

And because I'm such a nice guy, here's a little eye candy. Not on our Malaysian trajectory, but still quite a nice vid, I thought.

Jeroen Speybroeck
Site Admin

Postby Robin Duborget » Tue Jan 06, 2015 3:27 pm

I love dragonfly :D

Robin
Robin Duborget

Hometown: Corte - Corsica

PreviousNext

Return to FIELDHERPERS CAFE´