Recording tool?

The place to talk about fieldtechnics, the stuff you use in the field and everything else

Recording tool?

Postby Ilian Velikov » Tue Apr 07, 2015 9:44 pm

I know there are plenty of online public projects for recording sightings but does anyone know of any personal/offline tool or software that you can use for personal recording without having to submit the records to any public database? Does such thing exist or is the good old Excel sheet still the best thing for the job?
Ilian Velikov

Hometown: Pravets

Re: Recording tool?

Postby Rémon ter Harmsel » Wed Apr 08, 2015 12:52 pm

I don't know of any purely offline tool, but personaly I use obsmapp (tool for observado.org). You can record sightings offline, based on gps-location and Open Street Maps. When you have an internet connection you then upload the whole lot to the website. You can choose 'obscure site location' standard which prevents localities being shown to all other users except admins and yourself. I usually obscure most observations I record but do upload them so they are in the database and can be used for distribution research if needed. Of course you can also export your own sightings to .csv and then remove all of them again from your account (though not really the use of the free app of course ;))
Rémon ter Harmsel

Hometown: Wageningen

Return to FIELDHERPERS CAFE´