Not found yet

The place to talk about fieldtechnics, the stuff you use in the field and everything else

Re: Not found yet

Postby Rémon ter Harmsel » Thu Jun 04, 2015 8:57 am

Kristian Munkholm wrote:
Jeroen Speybroeck wrote:The question "how hard is it to find arvalis?" could also be an interesting continuation of this thread?

I have also thought that apart from breeding adults and emerging metamorphs (like during our Dutch weekend, not too hard but outnumbered by temporaria youngsters), finding arvalis is a difficult game of chance, especially in daytime and without rain, but I haven't ventured into their Belgian habitat too often. Thoughts, anyone?

I never specifically searched for arvalis outside of the breeding season and I haven't kept records so I don't have any numbers but I've never thought of them as particularly "difficult". I chance upon adults every now and then on land here in Denmark in the daytime, come to think of it probably a little more in late summer / early fall than in late spring / early summer. I haven't noticed rain being a significant factor. From summer vacations in Sweden I remember finding them out at night in July on multiple occasions.

I agree with the above, besides the breeding season and the time when juveniles emerge I encounter them mainly by chance and some distance away from the water. Never tried after dark though; I suppose they will be roaming around in rainy weather in their land habitat.
Rémon ter Harmsel

Hometown: Wageningen

Previous

Return to FIELDHERPERS CAFE´