Not found yet

The place to talk about fieldtechnics, the stuff you use in the field and everything else

Re: Not found yet

Postby Rémon ter Harmsel » Thu May 28, 2015 1:31 pm

Bobby Bok wrote:Not really a species I didn't see yet but I have never seen a living adult of that species. For me my definitive "nemesis" species is Elaphe quatuorlineata. I have been on so many trips to countries where this species occurs (Italy, Croatia, Montenegro, Greece, Macedonia) and all I ever found were DORs and a single subadult caught by myself at Lake Volvi in Greece.

Fun topic! First one that comes to mind for me is also E. quatuorlineata. Only seen a live one once but didnt manage to get a photo. Just spent a week in Montenegro last week looking for one and found none.... Am going for a next chance on Corfu in June.
Rémon ter Harmsel

Hometown: Wageningen

Postby Berislav Horvatic » Fri May 29, 2015 2:14 pm

Rémon ter Harmsel wrote:Fun topic! First one that comes to mind for me is also E. quatuorlineata. Only seen a live one once but didnt manage to get a photo.
Just spent a week in Montenegro last week looking for one and found none.... Am going for a next chance on Corfu in June.

Almost unbelievable - a week in Montenegro, in spring, and having found none... That could have been just bad luck, nothing else.
The same as with my own "inability" to find a Zamenis situla, even when the locals tell me where and when to search...
Berislav Horvatic

Hometown: Zagreb

Postby Thomas Reich » Sat May 30, 2015 4:08 pm

Interesting thread. I am still missing a living Zamenis situla (only found it DOR on Samos). Two weeks ago I luckily managed to finally find my second "tough nut to crack", Coronella girondica. :D I twice searched unavailingly for Rana arvalis, but under suboptimal conditions.
Thomas Reich

Hometown: Switzerland

Postby Berislav Horvatic » Sat May 30, 2015 5:12 pm

Thomas Reich wrote:I twice searched unavailingly for Rana arvalis, but under suboptimal conditions.

We were in their habitat together, only at least a month too late... So, you know the place, you know the people, and
you're welcome... Just keep in touch. BTW, Herbert Billing has the same wish, so maybe you two should keep in touch
as well.
Berislav Horvatic

Hometown: Zagreb

Postby Jeroen Speybroeck » Tue Jun 02, 2015 7:45 am

The question "how hard is it to find arvalis?" could also be an interesting continuation of this thread?

I have also thought that apart from breeding adults and emerging metamorphs (like during our Dutch weekend, not too hard but outnumbered by temporaria youngsters), finding arvalis is a difficult game of chance, especially in daytime and without rain, but I haven't ventured into their Belgian habitat too often. Thoughts, anyone?
Jeroen Speybroeck
Site Admin

Hometown: Merelbeke

Postby Mario Schweiger » Tue Jun 02, 2015 8:10 am

maybe depends on area or locality.
Two examples from Burgenland, Austria. September 9th, 2009; very warm and no cloud visible. out in bright sunlight
seewink_sept09_004.jpg

seewink_sept09_010.jpg

seewink_sept09_014.jpg
habitat and weather conditions
Mario (Admin)

Please visit also my personal Herp-site vipersgarden.at
Mario Schweiger
Site Admin

Hometown: Obertrum

Postby Kristian Munkholm » Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:06 am

Jeroen Speybroeck wrote:The question "how hard is it to find arvalis?" could also be an interesting continuation of this thread?

I have also thought that apart from breeding adults and emerging metamorphs (like during our Dutch weekend, not too hard but outnumbered by temporaria youngsters), finding arvalis is a difficult game of chance, especially in daytime and without rain, but I haven't ventured into their Belgian habitat too often. Thoughts, anyone?

I never specifically searched for arvalis outside of the breeding season and I haven't kept records so I don't have any numbers but I've never thought of them as particularly "difficult". I chance upon adults every now and then on land here in Denmark in the daytime, come to think of it probably a little more in late summer / early fall than in late spring / early summer. I haven't noticed rain being a significant factor. From summer vacations in Sweden I remember finding them out at night in July on multiple occasions.
Kristian Munkholm

Hometown: Copenhagen

Postby miguel santos » Wed Jun 03, 2015 9:15 pm

Mine is as simple as tragic: I'm living for more than 25 years in the Nederlands and I never saw a snake in this country.

Today I broke the spell. I saw my first snake in the Netherlands. :D
A berus of more than 60 cm from a known area in the south of the Netherlands.
They are there after all...
Miguel
Attachments
nl.jpg
nl.jpg (233.92 KiB) Viewed 6387 times
miguel santos

Hometown: maastricht

Postby Kevin Byrnes » Wed Jun 03, 2015 9:37 pm

I also recently broke my spell when I flipped a log in Northern Spain to reveal 5 of these beauties
Kevin Byrnes

Hometown: Maesteg

Postby Mario Schweiger » Thu Jun 04, 2015 6:10 am

Kevin Byrnes wrote:I also recently broke my spell when I flipped a log in Northern Spain to reveal 5 of these beauties

nice variation within one population ;)
Mario (Admin)

Please visit also my personal Herp-site vipersgarden.at
Mario Schweiger
Site Admin

Hometown: Obertrum

PreviousNext

Return to FIELDHERPERS CAFE´