Not found yet

The place to talk about fieldtechnics, the stuff you use in the field and everything else

Re: Not found yet

Postby Jürgen Gebhart » Wed May 20, 2015 4:13 pm

Berislav Horvatic wrote:But you already know all that, I suppose.

Of course, let me say it in other words, the ammodytes from around Bozen are my personal nightmare.
Jürgen Gebhart

Hometown: Wiedergeltingen Bavaria

Postby Bobby Bok » Wed May 20, 2015 5:57 pm

Jeroen Speybroeck wrote:Bobby, did you forget about Hemorrhois algirus? :twisted:

No, I haven't. I just concluded this species no longers occurs in Europe or simply doesn't exist.

:D Of course this species would also be one for my NFY list.

Jeroen Speybroeck wrote: I checked and if I only count "find-it-yourself", I would still have to go and find 1 newt species, 3 species of frogs, a sea turtle, 1 or 2 lizard species and a smashing 10 species of snakes to complete the Euro list. Luckily, I allow myself a lazier way of twitching :oops: - as you can see, my snake list would be a lot shorter if it wasn't for the help of many, many others.

Ha! One way to beat the God! Only 10 herp species on my twitchlist are not found by myself. Maybe another fun thread for the avid twitchers amongst us?
Bobby Bok

Hometown: Heemskerk

Postby Jeroen Speybroeck » Wed May 20, 2015 7:06 pm

Bobby Bok wrote:Ha! One way to beat the God! Only 10 herp species on my twitchlist are not found by myself.

I have always been known to exploit young and able men & I have to be lazy to fit the definition GJ gives to scientists in his Oman report. :mrgreen:
Other than that, there are too many ways you and many can and are beating me. In other words, the qualities of a herper are not related to the length of his lifelist ;)
Jeroen Speybroeck
Site Admin

Hometown: Merelbeke

Postby Berislav Horvatic » Wed May 20, 2015 7:32 pm

Jürgen Gebhart wrote:
Berislav Horvatic wrote:But you already know all that, I suppose.

Of course, let me say it in other words, the ammodytes from around Bozen are my personal nightmare.

Sorry, Jürgen, I have really never doubted you know, I just wanted to raise the question of what actually counts
(here, in this "thread") as "not yet found" - a species, a subspecies, a "race" (morph), a specific local population,
... or just "anything of the above that frustrates me". I strongly vote for the last, which covers your case as well.

Regarding the question "found by me personally and caught with my own hands" vs. "the next guy a few meters
from me got it first", I do not see big difference and simply ignore it. E.g., I've seen quite a few H. (viridiflavus)
carbonarius
, but have never grabbed any of them with my own hand. Nonetheless I count them as "consumated".

The issue of "someone had sent me to a precise location" vs. "I've found it myself, without anyone's help" is actually
an another cup of tea, which I also don't find terribly important. Frends help each other, that's only natural. Of course
I can understand someone's pride at having found something without anyone's help at all, but what's the point? If
someone really wants to do it "the hard(est) way", so be it. I lavishly give hints and advices to others, and most
gratefully accept them as well. Life is short, too short. Ars longa, vita brevis...
Berislav Horvatic

Hometown: Zagreb

Postby Carl Corbidge » Wed May 20, 2015 7:38 pm

Bastard Ladder Snake a made up species that apparently doesn't occur in Spain when I go.
Carl Corbidge

Hometown: Sheffield

Postby Jeroen Speybroeck » Wed May 20, 2015 7:42 pm

I obviously agree, Bero.

Berislav Horvatic wrote:Of course I can understand someone's pride at having found something without anyone's help at all, but what's the point?

And in the end, everybody gets help, because otherwise you would not know in which country a species lives, or even be ignorant about its existence :mrgreen:

On the other hand, I have preyed on people who see things differently, haha :oops:
Jeroen Speybroeck
Site Admin

Hometown: Merelbeke

Postby Berislav Horvatic » Wed May 20, 2015 8:02 pm

Jeroen Speybroeck wrote:And in the end, everybody gets help, because otherwise you would not know
in which country a species lives, or even be ignorant about its existence :mrgreen:

Of course I meant a much more specific and direct, first-hand help, as you obviously understand...

On the other hand, I have preyed on people who see things differently, haha :oops:

Willing to expand/explain that, for the poor creatures who might not follow?
Berislav Horvatic

Hometown: Zagreb

Postby Ronald Zimmerman » Wed May 20, 2015 10:08 pm

I have a very long list with European species I still have to see, but an adult Ladder Snake always seem to commit suicide on the road just before I arrive. :roll:
Feel free to follow/Like my Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/ronaldzimmerman.nl/
Ronald Zimmerman

Hometown: Haarlem

Postby Peter Oefinger » Thu May 21, 2015 6:55 am

The Pyrenean Iberolacertas have been my personal Waterloo.
Fuck herping - let's die!
Peter Oefinger

Hometown: Duesseldorf

Postby Bert Vandebosch » Thu May 21, 2015 8:50 am

Malopolon monspessulanus!!! I've seen them plenty of times (so they are actually already on the list) but they always escape me before a picture. Not a single even crappy shot ever.
About the ladder snake: Be careful what you wish for. Once you find it, you will get so frustrated trying to photograph them, you almost would like to squeeze it to death. They behave like wormsnakes on speed who on top of it bite like crazy. Or is that just me? :roll:
Bert Vandebosch

Hometown: Assent

PreviousNext

Return to FIELDHERPERS CAFE´