Not found yet

The place to talk about fieldtechnics, the stuff you use in the field and everything else

Re: Not found yet

Postby Mario Schweiger » Thu May 21, 2015 10:28 am

Peter Oefinger wrote:The Pyrenean Iberolacertas have been my personal Waterloo.
Fuck herping - let's die!

schön sprechen (schreiben) :lol:
Mario (Admin)

Please visit also my personal Herp-site vipersgarden.at
Mario Schweiger
Site Admin

Hometown: Obertrum

Postby Jeroen Speybroeck » Thu May 21, 2015 10:33 am

Peter Oefinger wrote:Fuck herping - let's die!

Drunk already/still? :P

Bert Vandebosch wrote:About the ladder snake: Be careful what you wish for. Once you find it, you will get so frustrated trying to photograph them, you almost would like to squeeze it to death. They behave like wormsnakes on speed who on top of it bite like crazy. Or is that just me? :roll:

Yes, Bert it's just you who behaves that way :lol:
Seriously, though, in my (fairly limited) experience ladder snakes fit the general behavioural pattern of the other Elaphe s.l. (= the old rat snakes genus): some are placid, many will try to bite + they can be very cooperative under certain conditions such as in cold weather or (especially ladder snake) at night. This pattern of being calm at night and fierce in the day has been noted for other species outside Europe too, I believe. Would love to hear what others think.

Maybe we could do a new thread on behaviour-when-handled of the different species...?
Jeroen Speybroeck
Site Admin

Hometown: Merelbeke

Postby Kristian Munkholm » Thu May 21, 2015 11:53 am

Bert Vandebosch wrote:Malopolon monspessulanus!!! I've seen them plenty of times (so they are actually already on the list) but they always escape me before a picture. Not a single even crappy shot ever.

I've never seen monspessulanus but my (very limited) experience with insignitus is exactly the same - not a single shot. I found one particular, suitably large and impressive individual out basking and came back to find it out again a further two times the same day without ever getting a shot off before it was gone.
Kristian Munkholm

Hometown: Copenhagen

Postby Frédéric Seyffarth » Thu May 21, 2015 1:26 pm

The only live ladder snake i met in Spain was so nervous that i couldn't do any pics during the quarter i get it. Let her goes, finally the most important for me was the pleasure to find it and look after her when she goes back in her stone wall...
About exotics, i spent around 15months in French Guyana without a single Corallus hortulanus, the most "easy-to-find" snake there... :oops:
Frédéric Seyffarth

Hometown: Husseren-Wesserling

Postby Jeroen Speybroeck » Thu May 21, 2015 1:46 pm

Frédéric Seyffarth wrote:Corallus hortulanus

Now there's a species that does NOT behave calm(er) at night!
Jeroen Speybroeck
Site Admin

Postby Berislav Horvatic » Thu May 21, 2015 1:56 pm

Maybe we could do a new thread on behaviour-when-handled of the different species...?

An excellent idea, and I'm only happy that it didn't have to be me to suggest it, but I'm sure it would be an
immensely fruitful and terribly "overcrowded" thread. Just do it!

In my (and almost everyone's) experience, an Elaphe 4lineata never bites, it just hisses for a few moments,
and then gives up even that. So, no gloves needed. But I remember a comment by Hannes Hill, regarding a
colleague of his (name known to both of us), who got bitten by a juvenile V. ammodytes in an extremely
"stupid" way: "Ah, F.... , he gets bitten even by a quatuorlineata..." So, shit does/could happen, even with
a 4lineata, but not to everyone...
Berislav Horvatic

Hometown: Zagreb

Postby Berislav Horvatic » Thu May 21, 2015 5:35 pm

Bert Vandebosch wrote:Malopolon monspessulanus!!! I've seen them plenty of times (so they are actually already on the list) but they
always escape me before a picture. Not a single even crappy shot ever.

Once I already had one by the tail, but it somehow slipped, sped off and disappeared in a bush. I went there
and, much to my horror, found the tail dangling from a branch, so my only thought was: "Oh, no, I've torn its
tail off, may g/God forgive me..." I gently touched the tail, still in deep remorse, and it disappeared in a
split-second... In this respect, my soul has been cleared/relieved, but... I was a bloody fool, at least at the
moment...
Much to my frustration, I've received in situ photos of Malpolon taken by people who have nothing to do with
herpetology, just someone passing by... and seeing a snake nicely stretched, not moving, doing nothing at all...
To hell with that! (In a more guarded wording: I envy them immensely. Why them, not me (us)?!)
Berislav Horvatic

Postby miguel santos » Fri May 22, 2015 8:27 am

What a great thread, with many personal drama's......
Mine is as simple as tragic: I'm living for more than 25 years in the Nederlands and I never saw a snake in this country.
I've pretty much seen everithing I wanted in other places and if I missed something ( It is a nice excuse to come back :D )
But I've tryied so many times to go out in the field here and they just don't appear.
Even my son says : "this year we must see a snake in NL"
Just maybe.......

Miguel
miguel santos

Hometown: maastricht

Postby Jeroen Speybroeck » Fri May 22, 2015 8:31 am

Berislav Horvatic wrote:
On the other hand, I have preyed on people who see things differently, haha :oops:

Willing to expand/explain that, for the poor creatures who might not follow?

The best snake hunters often seem to be more into hunting than into twitching. Their ratio of value for n° of specimens vs. n° of species is also a little different.
Jeroen Speybroeck
Site Admin

Postby Berislav Horvatic » Sat May 23, 2015 5:28 pm

Jeroen Speybroeck wrote:
Berislav Horvatic wrote:
On the other hand, I have preyed on people who see things differently, haha :oops:

Willing to expand/explain that, for the poor creatures who might not follow?

The best snake hunters often seem to be more into hunting than into twitching. Their ratio of value
for n° of specimens vs. n° of species is also a little different.

How about an even clearer ("more clear"?!) statement/explanation for the really stupid & lazy ones like me...? No, please,
don't tell me to use my brain, I'm sick and tired of using it... Could it just be a "pappa in boca", from you, just for once...?
Berislav Horvatic

PreviousNext

Return to FIELDHERPERS CAFE´