Poachers/Smugglers

The place to talk about fieldtechnics, the stuff you use in the field and everything else

Re: Poachers/Smugglers

Postby Berislav Horvatic » Sat Sep 19, 2015 11:21 am

He also noted Galoyan had a PhD and had published extensive works in zoology and ecology.

So, you see, being a scientist doesn't make one a decent person. But we know that already.
Just remember Johannes Stark, a German physicist and Physics Nobel Prize laureate, who
was also a real, convinced, devoted Nazi...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johannes_Stark
Well, nothing new under the sun...
(And, OF COURSE, nothing against the Germans as such, needless to say, but nowadays one
has to take care about any word... unfortunately...)
Berislav Horvatic

Hometown: Zagreb

Postby Aleksandar Simovic » Sat Sep 19, 2015 8:43 pm

I hate people like that, there is hundreds oh them across Europe, and also "field herpers" that destroy popular sites and habitats across Balkans, fliping stones and other things and can not return them to the same place :evil: I cant wait to see them in the field doing shi* like that...
Aleksandar Simovic

Hometown: Belgrade

Postby Daniel Bohle » Sat Sep 19, 2015 9:17 pm

I prefer people who flipp stones and and can not return them over people who are violent.
Daniel Bohle

Hometown: Berlin

Postby Aleksandar Simovic » Sat Sep 19, 2015 9:27 pm

LOL Daniel... I am not violent, just pissed off what i saw on few places, nobody cant do things like that!
Aleksandar Simovic

Hometown: Belgrade

Postby Berislav Horvatic » Sun Sep 20, 2015 2:39 pm

Daniel Bohle wrote:I prefer people who flipp stones and and can not return them over people who are violent.

Really, what/whom did you mean by "violent"? My only argument was just that "... being a scientist doesn't make
one a decent person. But we know that already.
" Johannes Stark was just a DRASTIC example to illustrate that
sad fact, nothing else. Unfortunately, my professional colleague, a physicist, by the way... having received the
Nobel Prize for his achievements in physics - and quite deservedly. On the other hand, he was quite willing to send
Albert Einstein and many others like him to death... Beats me. Or rather, more sadly and realistically, it doesn't...

Now back to our own immediate problematics - poaching and/or destroying the habitat by turning stones and not
replacing them consequently...
Well, not just destroying the HABITAT, but maybe even something (arguably) of more worth than that... I've seen
that some fieldherp enthusiasts are prone to dismantling ANYTHING made of stone, if it's just(?!) drystone walling,
no matter what it's worth to the humankind in some other respects... And sometimes/someplace it really is.
What I want to say most clearly: if you dismantle something you don't understand and/or appreciate, just to catch
an another gemonensis or viridiflafus, maybe you have destroyed a cultural monument of some kind... So, please,
keep in mind that possibility as well.
Berislav Horvatic

Postby Gabriel Martínez » Tue Sep 22, 2015 12:43 pm

Nazarov is this:

IMG-20150922-WA0010_resized.jpeg
IMG-20150922-WA0010_resized.jpeg (199.11 KiB) Viewed 4709 times

It´s incredible that this guy will go to jail...

Anyway it would be a dream that Spanish Judges would think that our herps deserve that respect (1 year in jail). Here even some forest rangers kill vipers or salamanders. Incredible...
Gabriel Martínez

Hometown: Madrid

Postby Berislav Horvatic » Tue Sep 22, 2015 8:38 pm

Gabriel Martínez wrote:Nazarov is this: ... It´s incredible that this guy will go to jail...

Nazarov is what he is - including, however, what he has done recently... Not at all happy about that, but someone
has to be the first, as an example (granted, a rather drastic one) for the others to "take care and beware" - after
so many "warnings from above" that noone has ever taken as really serious...

Anyway it would be a dream that Spanish Judges would think that our herps deserve that respect (1 year in jail).
Here even some forest rangers kill vipers or salamanders. Incredible...

As far as I know, Spain has been a member state of the European Union for quite a while, so maybe the EU laws
(or call them "prescriptions" or "suggestions", or whatever...) should apply to Spain as well... or shouldn't they?
Of course they should. And if the judges just chose to disregard the law(s), they wouldn't be any judges at all,
agreed? (Naive? Maybe, but... let's hope for some changes for the better.)
Please don't ask me whether in my own country, Croatia - also a member state of the EU - anyone at all has at least
payed a fine for anything like that, let alone be sentenced to a year in prison... Of course not. So, maybe te Aussies
just should have given a (rather painful, indeed) lesson to all of us - so very civilised(?) - Europeans.
Berislav Horvatic

Return to FIELDHERPERS CAFE´