Best found Herp Ever?? Your Top 3

The place to talk about fieldtechnics, the stuff you use in the field and everything else

Re: Best found Herp Ever?? Your Top 3

Postby Guillaume Gomard » Sun Dec 20, 2015 5:35 pm

My top 1 is Acanthophis antarcticus spotted on the very first day of 2015 (best way to start the year :!: ). There are basically 3 ways to find death adders: To herp at night and hope that snakes will be on the move (roads, walking trails, etc.); to investigate with rakes or others piles of leaves, which is time-consuming, not really elegant and quite boring; and finally to be lucky ;) . After trying the second method for 1 day without any success, I thought I will not manage to observe this special snake in South Australia. However, in the morning of January 1st, as I was walking few meters away from the beach, I had the great chance to observe and photograph this nice specimen in situ:

1.JPG

Number 2 on my top list is Crotalus adamenteus because it was the main target during my Everglades/South Florida trip. Again, this snake was found on the very last day and last sunny hours of the holidays (reminds me of Andre's cetti). If the specimen found was not a large and impressive snake, it nevertheless had magnificent pattern and colours, as you can see on the (in situ) pic below:

2.JPG

Finally, herping in Milos and finding some vipers there was something special to me for unknown reasons, I guess there is something particular about herping on an island. I would have been happy with a single viper but could finally observe tens of them. Interestingly, it was still possible to photograph them waiting for birds close to the "rivers" (cf in situ pic below). Besides, I had the opportunity to meet some nice guys during my stay, a pretty cool experience! I hope that in the future, the island will not be invaded by hundreds of unscrupulous herpers :?

3.JPG

Guillaume
Guillaume Gomard

Hometown: Strasbourg

Postby Michal Szkudlarek » Sun Dec 20, 2015 10:45 pm

1. Varanus salvadorii
2. Varanus bengalensis
3. Ceratophora stoddarti
Michal Szkudlarek

Hometown: ...

Postby Bobby Bok » Mon Dec 21, 2015 10:48 am

Fun topic this is! Very very hard to choose though...

Top 4 of what I found myself. Not necessarily in the right order.

#1 is Nadzikambia mlanjensis. This range restricted, endemic chameleon proved to be difficult to find at first. On the last evening in the Ruo Gorge rainforest I still did not see any, while Pygmy Chameleons where everywhere. Suddenly I saw a tiny, bright green "leaf" on top of a vine leaf around 5 meters above the ground. I decided to climb up to see what it was. Obviously this species sleeps on big leaves and high above ground making them hard to detect because in that vine I found a couple sleeping together. Pure bliss!
SANY0711.JPG

SANY0749.JPG

#2 is Vipera ursinii found under the most surprising circumstances. When we arrived on the mountain where ursinii had recently been discovered in Croatia, sun was already setting. We hiked up quickly, to explore the habitat when we would do a proper search at the "right" altitude the next day. But then I spotted the tiniest of vipers. Half hidden under a rock in thick bushes but there it was! At the “wrong altitude”. A new species for me and a new discovery made at the same time!
Vipera ursinii (24).JPG

#3 is Bufotes boulengeri. Maybe not the most spectacular of European amphibians but with a local range on our continent special, all the same. We only had one possible night and possible search site during our 2014 trip and the site proved to be shite. Polluted and everything but ideal. I was talking to Laura on the phone and told her the odds of finding this species would be close to zero. I turned around, soon to give up, when on the same path I walked before this little creature set there just.
Bufo boulengeri (23).JPG

#4 is Hypsiboas boans. While looking for this enigmatic Amazonian amphibian we didn't have much luck. We could hear them every evening but never saw one. On the last evening at that specific camp a tropical storm made the night a bit wet for those sleeping on the outside of the platform (=me) so I woke up and moved my luggage to drier places. This is what I found:
SANY1232.JPG

As for species found in a group, there are three iconic species that rank very high!

#1: The biggest mainland Africa chameleon species, Meller's Chameleon (Trioceros melleri).
Trioceros.JPG

#2: The longest viper species, Bushmaster (Lachesis muta).
Lachesis.JPG

#3: The biggest amphibian in the world together with its Chinese congener, the Japanese Giant Salamander (Andrias japonicus).
Andrias.JPG
Bobby Bok

Hometown: Heemskerk

Postby Jeroen Speybroeck » Mon Dec 21, 2015 3:50 pm

A fun 'cream of the crop' topic, GJ! Undoubtedly, this will change over the years, at least for me, but here we go...

GLOBAL

n° 3 - Wallace's Flying Frog Rhacophorus nigropalmatus
With many of my favourite species, I am often seduced by the stories and iconic status which surround them. This is definitely not the prettiest frog in the world, but it is just sooo cool, big and fun to see it glide.

n° 2 - Gila Monster Heloderma suspectum
A childhood dream! Not too hard to find in Arizona, but it still took us a week. Has the gait of a fire salamander, together with a clearly more nasty temper.

n° 1 - Bushmaster Lachesis muta
In terms of beauty, I immediately prefer any of the green tree vipers, not to mention Wagler's beast. Yet, again, this is just such an iconic species... And also a rather unlikely find. Respected herpers do tens of trips to find one. We were blessed after a couple of our first nights ever in the Amazon. Such luck...

EUROPEAN

n° 3 - Algerian Whip Snake Hemorrhois algirus
Just because all others failed ;) . More seriously, I had no idea what to expect, but finding 3 was great. Peter did all the catching, though, while I did a good part of the bleeding.

n° 2 - Loggerhead Sea Turtle Caretta caretta
Because it's such an un-European herping experience to sneak up to a digging turtle on the beach at night.

n° 1 - Northern Spectacled Salamander Salamandrina terdigitata
Because it's a small, yet fantastic little dinosaur and one of my earlier herping memories. And simply because this list deserves a salamander.
Jeroen Speybroeck
Site Admin

Hometown: Merelbeke

Postby Thomas Reich » Mon Dec 21, 2015 10:05 pm

I like this interesting topic! As has been said, it's difficult to choose.

No. 1
Eunectes murinus. Because size does matter and because the Anaconda is definitely one of the most emblematic herps in the world.

No. 2
Vipera ursinii. Because we had to do a long hike uphill and wait for 2-3 hours in a hunters hut until the dense fog finally cleared up. And because we found almost 10 Balkan adders in the same habitat.

No. 3
Podarcis raffonei. Because it took quite some effort to get to the tiny islet and because it was a unique spot for herping.
Thomas Reich

Hometown: Switzerland

Postby Ronald Zimmerman » Tue Dec 22, 2015 4:50 pm

#1 Kinabalu Crested Dragon (Hypsicalotes kinabaluensis). A lucky find, but I think this is the most beautiful lizard I have ever seen. He was signaling with his dew flap (like an anolis or flying dragon). :)

#2 A very small baby Nchisi Pygmy Chameleon (Rhampholeon nchisiensis). Still amazing how I found something this small. :)

#3 Very common in Spain and Portugal, but the moment was great. The ritual lasted minutes. I think it was very cute to see. :)
Large Psammodromus (Psammodromus algirus)

A very close #4
Dark-eared Tree Frog (Polypedates macrotis).

Best in a group
Bornean Horned Frog / Bornean Horned Toad (Megophrys nasuta) in 2014. I really wanted to see this beauty. :D

#2 Wallace's Flying Frog (Rhacophorus nigropalmatus)
Very iconic!

#3 The same Mulanje Chameleon (Nadzikambia mlanjensis) as Bobby mentioned. It is because of the hard work, finding it on the very last moment (and the beautiful location). I did not find it myself, but it felt like an assist (in football).
Oh and afterwards we got lost. I love GPS on smartphones! :D
In the morning I found another one crossing right in front of me. Not so special, but still.. :)
Feel free to follow/Like my Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/ronaldzimmerman.nl/
Ronald Zimmerman

Hometown: Haarlem

Postby Kristian Munkholm » Tue Dec 22, 2015 11:54 pm

I find ranking experiences beyond diffcult - not to say patently absurd. It's too complex, there are too many variables, besides which the quantification and ranking itself seems to devalue the experience, particularly, of course, in the case of those not making the cut.

After all, what are the best finds? The childhood finds that sparked the interest or fueled the fire? The rarest species? The ones you worked the hardest for? The surprises? The prettiest specimens? The most unusual looking? A range extension, regardless how minute? The species you have a special affinity for just because they were the ones that happened to be featured in that book you borrowed from the library over and over again when you were six? The ones where you were fortunate enough to be privy to some particularly interesting behaviour? The ones where the spatial and temporal setting made them part of some greater story of some perceived personal significance?

Perusing this thread, I enjoy reading a great diversity of reasons behind people's choices and seeing a similarly great diversity of species, the obvious show off ones as well as the seemingly more humble. I'm happy to contribute a couple of short stories and crappy pics myself as well, even if I have a hard time limiting myself to three.

I considered listing childhood memories...

my first large snapping turtle in the lake behind our apartment that, along with other turtles and frogs, got me hooked on herps when I was 5...

my first snake, by then already mythical, evasive creatures to me, a beautiful smooth green snake found moving about in the grass while hiking in Shenandoah NP...

my first Danish (& European(& viperine)) snake, a cute little adder basking in the heather at my feet on a school outing to an open air museum,...

I also considered not listing individual finds but herping days / stops / trips...

my final stop in the last hour of daylight on my first dedicated full time herping trip abroad to Krk when everything suddenly came out as the sun broke through after a shower and I ended up seeing 20 snakes, a single tortoise and innumerable frogs, toads and lizards including E. quatuorlineata, T. hermanni and P. apodus, though common and widespread all highly desired new species at the time...

the first day of my next trip – to Israel – when exhausted from not sleeping all night after flying via Riga I followed a succesful morning searching at semi random stops in unfamiliar habitat with an equally succesful similar short late afternoon search and topped it off with my first – and still best – night of road cruising, the latter in the good company of Guy and Aviad. Guy played Simon and Garfunkel in the car and they still bring back memories every time. Totals for the day were 7 snake species & 7 lizard species supplemented by a very impressive array of invertebrate, avian and mammalian species as well. Among the 11 new herp species were Eryx jaculus, Atractaspis engaddensis, Echis coloratus and Daboia palaestinae, each of which would have made my day by themselves...

two succesive days of casual short morning trips to one of my local spots in the spring of 2010. I didn't see impressive numbers of specimens nor species, didn't see any new species either but what I did see in terms of action and variability more than made up for it – fighting anguis, mating anguis, an impressive palet of berus coloration – solid black, solid brown with faint straight stripe, regular brown females, freshly shed silver and black male and finally the most beautiful berus I have ever seen, turquoise with caramel stripe, dotted with black at the edge of every zig and every zag, basking in fornt of a natrix mating ball. The icing on the cake was the strangest looking aberration I have seen in the wild in the form of a ghostly plae anguis...

I could have chosen any of the above... and more... instead I chose...

my first and to date only Cerastes gasperetti – because Cerastes are always cool, this specimen was spectacularly beautiful, pink with yellow spots and exquisite facial scalation, and finding it came as a reward for hard work. On my first visit to Israel I spent a long, tired night by myself, getting lost in the dunes along the Jordanian border while searching for tracks and finding nothing but geckoes. The story seemed to repeat itself on my second visit when finally, back at the car I found a track and with difficulty followed it to my quarry across long stretches where it disappeared in the coarse sand beween the dune tops...

my first and to date only Varanus griseus – because it's the newest among my favourite finds, hence closer to mind, and because I finally found it after searching in vain on three previous trips. Moreover, I found it quietly moseying about, doing its thing in its habitat, not paying attention to me, rather than fleeing in the distance, crossing a road, or trapped at the bottom of a well. My photograph of this and the following favourite – undoubtedly the two worst we will see in this thread - are testament to my exaltation at seeing them. As I am a lousy photographer and generally a bit high strung, I tend to lose my focus on photography when I get excited about a find causing me to either end up scaring the critter off, shoot all my pics with the wrong settings or just somehow trip myself up in another, more creative fashion...

Yes, it's a crappy pic of a plain old boring common spadefoot except... to me it's the most exciting of anurans, included here because I needed an amphibian, I needed something local, and I spent more time searching for these than any other domestic herp species before finding one, faintly hearing it calling from the bottom of the pond when I finally made it out to proper habitat at the very best time of year, my effort lending them a peculiar, mystical and elusive quality in my mind's eye. To this day they hold a special allure for me, and seeing an ovipositing couple in broad daylight was the domestic highlight of my season this past year.

Well, there it is, ask me again tomorrow, odds are you'll get another answer, perhaps a coral, rattler and chameleon, perhaps a gator, newt and smoothie, perhaps...

:)
Kristian Munkholm

Hometown: Copenhagen

Postby Berislav Horvatic » Sat Dec 26, 2015 4:15 pm

Kristian Munkholm wrote:Well, there it is, ask me again tomorrow, odds are you'll get another answer, perhaps a coral, rattler and chameleon, perhaps a gator, newt and smoothie, perhaps... :)

What a posting!!! Thanks, Kristian, from all my heart, you really did it. The right thing.

Now maybe I'll even have the courage to present some of my rather modest, but very
dear (to me personally) finds/experiences.
Many thanks once again.
Berislav Horvatic

Hometown: Zagreb

Postby Jürgen Gebhart » Sat Dec 26, 2015 6:35 pm

Berislav Horvatic wrote:
Kristian Munkholm wrote:Well, there it is, ask me again tomorrow, odds are you'll get another answer, perhaps a coral, rattler and chameleon, perhaps a gator, newt and smoothie, perhaps... :)

What a posting!!! Thanks, Kristian, from all my heart, you really did it. The right thing.

Now maybe I'll even have the courage to present some of my rather modest, but very
dear (to me personally) finds/experiences.
Many thanks once again.

I think different
I will not change my statement before my next Trip and if I do not find a high end special something I also will not change it.

I didn’t write things like my first Atractaspis in Israel or as we found the first Rhynchocalamus in Oman ever or my first Vipera ursinii or the first Natrix mating observation or or or, because these things don`t have a big relevance to me.

The things I wrote down are very very deep in my heart and in my mind.
Jürgen Gebhart

Hometown: Wiedergeltingen Bavaria

Postby Gabriel Martínez » Sat Dec 26, 2015 7:50 pm

Wow! Amazing post GertJan! Lot of amazing species and histories, anaconda, Lachesis, rare salamanders, frogs and chamaleons... and a lot of ursinii magic moments!!

I have also many amazing herp moments. The Toxycodrias in the last Senegal trip, the Echis omanensis or Pseudocerastes fieldi with Jurgen and many more, but the top 3 is probably this:

3. Naja nivea in SA. After some days in western South Africa searching very hard and without any single snake in the roads or under trash (not any single Bitis cornuta, caudalis, Telescopus, etc...) just 1 Boaedon under trash, my israeli friend and I were a bit desperated. No activity in SA. And one morning we woke up, and I was driving when something with golden colour was in the side of the road, it tried to cross the road but when the car pass the snake return to the habitat very fast. We told "cobra!!!!!" and I stopped the car quickly and Avid run quickly to the snake place but it had dissapeared. He told me "Gabri, you drove so fast!!, Gabri you drove so fast!!!" I was really sad but continue searching in a habitat full of holes and bushes. But suddenly I saw the tail entering in a bush and catch it by the tail with the glove. The snake put in deffensive position and bit the glove many times, Aviad run to me and kissed my head. It was an Amazing moment. That golden cobras are the best of South Africa for me indeed and we had it!
Naja nivea SOUTH AFRICA.jpg
Naja nivea
Naja nivea SOUTH AFRICA.jpg (351.91 KiB) Viewed 9396 times

2. Sierra de Cazorla, Spain. Many years ago. I had never seen vipers and I was really obsessed to see one. With Raul Leon and other friend we drove to the mountain and sleep in the vipers habitat. I had´t sleeping bad, only a sweatshirt. So I slept inside the car. The temperature was very cold in midnight (june, but in mountains). I couldn´t sleep for the cold, so I was desesperately waiting that sun appear to go out of the car. It was about 6:00 when I decided to go out of the car whereas my 2 partners were sleeping. I began to flip stones and just 1 baby Timon. And about 6:20 I found a small water point full of vegetation. In the middle there was a piece of wood. I fliped that thing and I expected to find an Alytes, Natrix or something like that, and suddenly an adult Vipera latastei, the first viper in my life. Very nice animal. It didn´t move because the temperature was very low. I didn´t know how to catch it, so I put out my sweatshirt, put it on the viper and catch it very carefully. I run with tha viper to my friends, Raul was very happy about that snake. It was incredible...
Vipera latastei.jpg
First viper...
Vipera latastei.jpg (178.67 KiB) Viewed 9396 times

1. The top 1 is for my best herpetologic moment in my life. In my first trips to Morocco my partners insist in flip stone to find animals there, so we found Psammophis, Macroprotodon, lizards and just a bit more... and in flickr I knew Guy and Aviad, Israel friends that found MANY interesting snakes searching in water pits and roads. So I insisted to my friends a lot to search in pits and roads, but nobody then though that it would be possible to find a snake "just" crossing when you are passing, or falling in a pit (they think that only is possible for Agama, Stenodactylus, Hemorrhois and common animals). After some "bad" trips, Raul Leon and I visited Morocco in august. We were very young but with many ilusion. We checked all the pits and we found many Hemorrhois, until one day I was in the car waiting and Raul run to a pit to see inside. He saw something important and run to me with a special happy face. I left the car and run to the pit and in the middle of the way he told me: "there is cobra in this area Gabri?????" and I told him: "yesssssss!!!!", when I saw inside and I saw that small cobra there, in a metallic thing close to water. It was so incredible situation. We was crying of ilusion. Amazing. I had in the car some bed sheet that I caught in my mother house to go down to holes. So We could go down and rescue that snake. We were about 8 hours looking that snake. We made hundreds of photos, video and something just seeing the snake moving. In herpetology there are some feeling that are impossible to understand if you are not herpetologist... after that experience, the friends that though that the "Israel" way to find snakes (pits, roads) was stupid, began to make the Israel way, finding many cobras and interesting snakes now! That fu**ing pits kill every year thousands or millions of vertebrates...
Naja haje MOROCCO.jpg
Naja haje
Naja haje MOROCCO.jpg (265.38 KiB) Viewed 9396 times
Gabriel Martínez

Hometown: Madrid

PreviousNext

Return to FIELDHERPERS CAFE´