Snake hitchhike - searching literature

The place to talk about fieldtechnics, the stuff you use in the field and everything else

Snake hitchhike - searching literature

Postby Ilias Strachinis » Wed Jan 27, 2016 3:35 pm

Hello everybody!
Does anyone know if there is any paper about snakes entering a car engine, or a vehicle in general and passively travel around?
I searched a lot but nothing yet...
Ilias Strachinis

Hometown: Thessaloniki

Re: Snake hitchhike - searching literature

Postby Ilian Velikov » Wed Jan 27, 2016 4:24 pm

There are plenty of cases like this but I don't think there's anything published. Not sure if there's enough data (except just reports of such cases) to publish anything. What's you research on that about? Reasons for snakes doing it or...?
Ilian Velikov

Hometown: Pravets

Postby Ilias Strachinis » Wed Jan 27, 2016 5:49 pm

I voluntarily relocate reptiles (actually saving them) from the city I live, since 2009, in cooperation with the police and fire department. I surprisingly get many calls every spring and summer, so I have gathered some data which I now want to publish in a short note. I have also recorded several cases of passive snake transfer by vehicles, some of them in long distances. That's why I'm looking for relative literature ;-)
Ilias Strachinis

Hometown: Thessaloniki

Postby Ilian Velikov » Wed Jan 27, 2016 6:23 pm

I voluntarily relocate reptiles (actually saving them) from the city I live, since 2009, in cooperation with the police and fire department. I surprisingly get many calls every spring and summer

That's good. Such services are just now beginning to appear in the Balkans and I've always wondered how society would react to this. I've always imagined people in Bulgaria wouldn't care much about calling someone for help but rather kill the snakes on sight...but I might be wrong.
Ilian Velikov

Hometown: Pravets

Postby Berislav Horvatic » Sat Jan 30, 2016 2:38 pm

Ilian Velikov wrote: I've always imagined people in Bulgaria wouldn't care much about calling someone
for help but rather kill the snakes on sight...but I might be wrong.

Unfortunately, statistically you're most probably right. Not restricted to the Balkans
or "Balkans" only.
Regarding the question/request by Ilias, I tried to find anything regarding that matter,
but with the same result - nothing.
If you google something like "snake in a car", you get quite an impressive list of news
in the media - mostly from Australia (!) - but no statistics Ilias would like to see.
Australia doesn't surprise me - a country with many snakes, few people, and everyone
drives a car.
Here, in Zagreb, it's exclusively Zamenis longissimus, even in the center. Never heard
of anything venomous found in a car.
Berislav Horvatic

Hometown: Zagreb

Return to FIELDHERPERS CAFE´