Where to go herping...

The place to talk about fieldtechnics, the stuff you use in the field and everything else

Where to go herping...

Postby Guy Harris » Sat Feb 27, 2016 5:38 pm

Hi there, I haven't done any herping in mainland Europe and I'm not sure where to start. Wondering if anyone has an opinion on maybe top three places (countries or areas) to go on a Euro field herping trip. Most species will be new to me so happy to consider anywhere. Had thought about Spain as I wouldn't mind combining a trip with birding too but even then, where to start in a country that big? All thoughts appreciated. Should add that I don't have any particular target species in mind so very open to suggestion. Just looking for species rich areas.

Regards, Guy
Guy Harris

Hometown: Chard

Re: Where to go herping...

Postby Jeroen Speybroeck » Sat Feb 27, 2016 5:51 pm

I am a big fan of the Peloponnese, Montenegro and the (southern) Bulgarian Black Sea coast.

((This will sound like a shameless commercial ad, but our forthcoming book will offer descriptions of all major hotspots.))
Jeroen Speybroeck
Site Admin

Hometown: Merelbeke

Postby Guy Harris » Sat Feb 27, 2016 6:09 pm

Thanks Jeroen! I don't mind shameless ads. When will your book be out?
Guy Harris

Postby Jeroen Speybroeck » Sat Feb 27, 2016 7:22 pm

June-July, if all goes well.
Jeroen Speybroeck
Site Admin

Postby Mike Brown » Sat Feb 27, 2016 8:00 pm

Hi Guy
It all depends on whether you are prepared to drive around a fair bit when you get there or not. I would suggest the quieter parts of the Eastern Algarve if not, which is good for birds also. If you are prepared to drive around a fair bit, I would suggest the Costa Brava combined with the Eastern Pyrenees or Haldiki in North-East Greece, both places with plenty of holiday accomodation and good birds in the surrounding area as well as herptiles. I can PM you some good areas if you like.
Mike Brown

Hometown: Liverpool

Postby Guy Harris » Sat Feb 27, 2016 9:39 pm

Hi Mike,

That's incredibly kind of you! Would love to have your suggestions of good areas to try. I really don't know where to start so that sort of info would be invaluable. Many thanks in advance.

Guy
Guy Harris

Postby Jeroen Speybroeck » Sun Feb 28, 2016 7:54 pm

Thinking some more on the birding, the NE of Greece is also worth considering (raptor heaven Dadia). Imho, herping in Spain and Italy is never as productive as in SE Europe but it highly depends on what you're after. For amphibians, the Iberian Peninsula is better, but seasonality is important, especially in the south. If you like vipers and tortoises, the SE is your ticket. Single-site diversity of herps is imho never as high in Spain as it can be in some places in Greece.
Viperless but lovely, Corsica and Sardinia are also high on my list.
Jeroen Speybroeck
Site Admin

Postby Guy Harris » Sat Mar 05, 2016 7:08 pm

Thanks Jeroen, that's useful information. Vipers are always high on the list so will definitely look at Greece more closely. Appreciate all responses.
Guy Harris

Return to FIELDHERPERS CAFE´