site details revisited...

The place to talk about fieldtechnics, the stuff you use in the field and everything else

site details revisited...

Postby Jeroen Speybroeck » Fri May 27, 2016 9:52 am

This is related to
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=2475

Ilian Velikov wrote:Second, on the "misunderstanding" - Still no explanation to what happened? The last time I had a look Jeroen, expressed his concerns over the disclosure of the place and next thing I know it was all deleted and called "stupid discussion", which I don't think it was. Obviously, I missed something...?

Ilian, I have apologised to Paul for hijacking his post. From what Erich wrote, it was also clear I was misunderstood. For those who are interested in "the stupid discussion", here it is.

There is (of course) nothing wrong with Paul's post, I loved it. Let me explain.

Within the last year or so there have been 3 reports (Paul, Alexandre Roux and the http://www.herpetofauna.at crew) visiting 2 spots (strinatii & italicus caves) that I think I only shared with 3 people. Of course, people can find these spots themselves (as Paul told me he did), but it felt too much of a coincidence to me. That's why I (perhaps irrelevantly) expressed my sadness about trust issues. This has nothing to do with blaming people who visit these spots and I hold the writers of those 3 reports all in high esteem. Of course, those places are not "mine" and I have enjoyed helping countless herpers as well as many have helped me. It does, however, make me wonder how information is passed on and how it may jump from a few good people (like the ones mentioned) to a too large audience that tends to include people who are less concerned about the limited resilience numerous populations of European herps unfortunately have.

That's it. Apologies to all who were (and maybe are still or even more now) offended.
Jeroen Speybroeck
Site Admin

Hometown: Merelbeke

Re: site details revisited...

Postby Ilian Velikov » Fri May 27, 2016 10:21 am

Jeroen, thanks for clearing that up! For what it's worth, I don't think expressing your sadness over sharing information was irrelevant because as I said members of this forum have come to trust each other and my impression is that generally people here are very considered and have good intentions. However, this "trust" could be dangerous because a lot of people ask for locations here (publicly or via PM) and sometimes people would consider one trustworthy by default just because they are member of this forum. So in my view it's good to have this kind of discussions from time to time just to remind ourselves about the risks of sharing information. Having said that, I must add that I don't have anyone particular in mind and I'm just generally talking about awareness on that matter.
Ilian Velikov

Hometown: Pravets

Re: site details revisited...

Postby Alexandre Roux » Sat May 28, 2016 8:47 am

I agree with Ilian. Sharing spots must be under control as you don't know who will go and who will tell to other people.
But for those spots I discovered a few days after my trip that they are already well known all around me (mostly by herpers who aren't in contact with people on this forum). You may think we can keep some spots secret not to disturb too much but that seems really hard to do...
You just have to see how it goes for a rare bird, when one guy tell he saw it to only one trusty person, there's always a way the information comes to others and you have 30 people looking at the bird the day after. And I won't tell you how it goes with Lynx observations are people who are coming aren't always there to see it...

I'm quite worrying for the new Italian vipera as herpers may rush to see it...

Anyway, that's clear to me that sharing informations is important but not with anybody. And thanks for this message ;)
Alexandre Roux
Flickr Gallery
Alexandre Roux

Hometown: Beynost

Return to FIELDHERPERS CAFE´