dangers during herping

The place to talk about fieldtechnics, the stuff you use in the field and everything else

dangers during herping

Postby Michal Szkudlarek » Sat Jul 30, 2016 10:39 pm

What are the dangers that you stumbled upon during herping?
Personally, I am afraid of dangerous dogs and today during a stroll for Testudo hermani i got autostop to avoid walking next to a dog in a property. That dog was not tied and could bite me. I heard his barking so it could be probably aggressive. Usually pepperspray helps to feel confindent but if you are flying abroad from Germany you mustn't own pepperspray in baggage. :roll: Have any of you been bitten by a dog?
Michal Szkudlarek

Hometown: ...

Re: dangers during herping

Postby Alexandre Roux » Sun Jul 31, 2016 11:06 am

For me, the biggest danger is when we stop the car on the side of the road to look at a dead snake or save something. But obviously I'm always affraid of dogs when I go out.
I also fell a few times while climbing to reach a point faster thant with the safe way. No that I think about it, I won't try again next time.
Alexandre Roux
Flickr Gallery
Alexandre Roux

Hometown: Beynost

Postby Guillaume Gomard » Sun Jul 31, 2016 12:33 pm

My worst enemies are ticks , they are everywhere in my surroundings :evil: I recently faced annoying leeches in rain forest, it's not so critical but still does not make any fun. Regarding dogs I only had 1 bad experience last summer in Romania with 10 wild (and aggressive) dogs following me as I was quietly looking for ammos. I know that wild dogs are a big problem in Romania, in particular in Bucarest. So far I don't have any bad human encounter, but I'm sure people on this forum could tell stories that happened in Greece or Turkey ;)
Guillaume Gomard

Hometown: Strasbourg

Postby Michal Szkudlarek » Sun Jul 31, 2016 7:22 pm

Guillaume Gomard wrote:My worst enemies are ticks , they are everywhere in my surroundings :evil: I recently faced annoying leeches in rain forest, it's not so critical but still does not make any fun. Regarding dogs I only had 1 bad experience last summer in Romania with 10 wild (and aggressive) dogs following me as I was quietly looking for ammos. I know that wild dogs are a big problem in Romania, in particular in Bucarest. So far I don't have any bad human encounter, but I'm sure people on this forum could tell stories that happened in Greece or Turkey ;)

how did it go with wild dogs? did you scare them off to make them go away? i would shit my pants in this situation :shock: Are people in Greece or Turkey mean toward herpers? I remember Jeroen's trouble with cops in Greek-Turkish border.

Alexandre Roux wrote:For me, the biggest danger is when we stop the car on the side of the road to look at a dead snake or save something. But obviously I'm always affraid of dogs when I go out.
I also fell a few times while climbing to reach a point faster thant with the safe way. No that I think about it, I won't try again next time.

Several days ago I got lost in a cave and I was sub-panicky but fortunately I found the way to go out.
Michal Szkudlarek

Postby Berislav Horvatic » Sun Jul 31, 2016 8:31 pm

What about lightnings? Unlike dogs, they kill for sure...

IP_1040440_RED.jpg

I know that's a rare event, but if your head is the highest point within many kilometers, and a thunderstorm
is just above your head... I told Ivo to hasten with his camera... gave him some ten seconds, no more. Even
managed to produce something like a smile...

IP_1040443_RED.jpg

BTW, a perfect V. ursinii habitat on the highest peak of the Central Velebit, but nothing...
Berislav Horvatic

Hometown: Zagreb

Postby Guillaume Gomard » Tue Aug 02, 2016 7:43 am

Berislav Horvatic wrote:Even managed to produce something like a smile...

:) Nice pictures, Bero!

Michal Szkudlarek wrote:how did it go with wild dogs? did you scare them off to make them go away? i would shit my pants in this situation :shock: Are people in Greece or Turkey mean toward herpers? I remember Jeroen's trouble with cops in Greek-Turkish border.

Indeed I managed to scare them off by making strong noise with rocks, but this could have turned wrong as well, those guys were unpredictable. Regarding Greece I heard several bad stories about people getting crazy when they saw that herpers were crossing their field/property. I guess it does not happen only in Greece but maybe they are less used to that?
Guillaume Gomard

Hometown: Strasbourg

Postby Ruggero M. » Tue Aug 02, 2016 11:33 am

Short answer with the smartphone: the only danger specifically related to herping is being bitten by a dangerous reptile. The other dangers are common dangers of driving, stopping while driving on trafficked roads, hiking (falling in crevices, ankle distorsions, and so on), walking in the woods (lightning, dogs, wild boars, getting lost, ending drinking reservoir, meeting the Blair Witch... :lol: ) and so on till the end of imagination!
Another possible specific danger, sadly shared only by herping and poaching, is to receive a 200€ fine from the law enforcement! ;)
Ruggero M.

Hometown: Pavia

Postby Michal Szkudlarek » Sun Jan 15, 2017 10:10 pm

im considering buying ultrasound dog replent
will its activity make herptiles run away? its frequency is 25 KHz and its sound pressure is 130 dB
it looks like this
Michal Szkudlarek

Return to FIELDHERPERS CAFE´