herpetological parenting

The place to talk about fieldtechnics, the stuff you use in the field and everything else

Re: herpetological parenting

Postby Berislav Horvatic » Thu Sep 22, 2016 12:20 pm

Kristian Munkholm wrote:Nonetheless, here are a "few", in roughly reverse chronological order

Well, finally a brave man to brave it, notwithstanding some opinions...
Nice photos, and nice looking kids. You have been lucky. Because if one has ugly children,
there is no herp in the world to make that better... Even a black mamba wouldn't do...

(Now, please, don't ask me the "politically correct" question whether there is such a thing
as an "ugly child" in the whole world. Of course there is. Most of them are. That's biology.
Most individuals of any species are not, and can't be, "beautiful", whether juveniles or
adults. Of course, parental emotions are biology as well, which certainly doesn't make them
particularly objective...)
Berislav Horvatic

Hometown: Zagreb

Postby Michal Szkudlarek » Thu Sep 22, 2016 12:32 pm

Berislav Horvatic wrote:
Kristian Munkholm wrote:Nonetheless, here are a "few", in roughly reverse chronological order

Well, finally a brave man to brave it, notwithstanding some opinions...
Nice photos, and nice looking kids. You have been lucky. Because if one has ugly children,
there is no herp in the world to make that better... Even a black mamba wouldn't do...

(Now, please, don't ask me the "politically correct" question whether there is such a thing
as an "ugly child" in the whole world. Of course there is. Most of them are. That's biology.
Most individuals of any species are not, and can't be, "beautiful", whether juveniles or
adults. Of course, parental emotions are biology as well, which certainly doesn't make them
particularly objective...)

imo most children are beautiful

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neoteny_i ... f_children
Physical anthropologist Barry Bogin said that the pattern of children's growth may intentionally increase the duration of their cuteness. Bogin said that the human brain reaches adult size when the body is only 40 percent complete, when "dental maturation is only 58 percent complete" and when "reproductive maturation is only 10 percent complete". Bogin said that this allometry of human growth allows children to have a "superficially infantile" appearance (large skull, small face, small body and sexual underdevelopment) longer than in other "mammalian species". Bogin said that this cute appearance causes a "nurturing" and "care-giving" response in "older individuals".[23]
Michal Szkudlarek

Hometown: ...

Postby Jeroen Speybroeck » Thu Sep 22, 2016 12:43 pm

Great post, Kristian, thanks!
Jeroen Speybroeck
Site Admin

Hometown: Merelbeke

Postby Berislav Horvatic » Thu Sep 22, 2016 12:56 pm

Bogin said that this allometry of human growth allows children to have a "superficially infantile" appearance
(large skull, small face, small body and sexual underdevelopment) longer than in other "mammalian species".
Bogin said that this cute appearance causes a "nurturing" and "care-giving" response in "older individuals".

Yes, of course, that's what I meant by "biology". And I know what "neoteny" means, thanks.

Michal Szkudlarek wrote:imo most children are beautiful

Beautiful, or just "cute"? Not the same thing, and please don't make me elaborate on the difference...

And, yes, once again, great post, Kristian, thanks!
Berislav Horvatic

Hometown: Zagreb

Previous

Return to FIELDHERPERS CAFE´