working as a park ranger

The place to talk about fieldtechnics, the stuff you use in the field and everything else

working as a park ranger

Postby Michal Szkudlarek » Mon Dec 26, 2016 6:13 pm

what do you think about it? is it a good job for INTP loner? i would live in a desolate place in a protected area, conduct field observation and sometimes tell tourists about nature/be a guide
Michal Szkudlarek

Hometown: ...

Re: working as a park ranger

Postby Berislav Horvatic » Mon Dec 26, 2016 7:28 pm

Well, first ask the particular NP (or whatever "protected area") what their ranger should and shouldn't do...
Maybe you wouldn't like it too much after all...
Once I had a sincere conversation with a ranger in the NP "Northern Velebit", and learned quite a few things
about his/their job...
Berislav Horvatic

Hometown: Zagreb

Postby Niklas Ban » Tue Dec 27, 2016 1:58 pm

Michal Szkudlarek wrote:what do you think about it? is it a good job for INTP loner? i would live in a desolate place in a protected area, conduct field observation and sometimes tell tourists about nature/be a guide

Why did you just studied biology when you want to be a better forest worker, which in fact is the biggest part of the qualification for a park ranger in Germany and other european countries. I think you should do more research about your job wishes it seems that you have a very romantic, unrealistic point of view.
Niklas Ban

Hometown: Duesseldorf

Postby Frédéric Seyffarth » Tue Dec 27, 2016 5:43 pm

Niklas Ban wrote
it seems that you have a very romantic, unrealistic point of view.

+1
Frédéric Seyffarth

Hometown: Husseren-Wesserling

Postby Ruggero M. » Fri Dec 30, 2016 10:23 am

Romantic view of the rangers: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=koVsq6HK_Xg

"Macho" view of the rangers: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NIYZVSElmj4

I think the idea of becoming a ranger is not a bad one: this job "could" be somehow nearer to natural environments and/or animals than a job as medical translator... 8-)
Ruggero M.

Hometown: Pavia

Postby Berislav Horvatic » Fri Dec 30, 2016 1:58 pm

Ruggero Morimando wrote:I think the idea of becoming a ranger is not a bad one: this job "could" be somehow
nearer to natural environments and/or animals than a job as medical translator... 8-)

Whatever a "medical translator" might mean...

Regarding the "macho version", the rangers in national parks in Croatia are not allowed to carry any firearms,
not even a puny pistol. If they find some visitors doing something strictly forbidden in a NP (like making a fire),
they can only kindly warn them to stop doing it (e.g., extinguish the fire). If they refuse, the ranger can only
call the police - with his cellphone, IF he has a signal amidst the mountain... If not, then forget about it. If it
does work, then more often than not the police just don't bother to climb the Velebit mountain from their cosy
station somewhere deep down on the coast...
Of course I asked about the bears and having no firearms... Well, the answer was clear: if you happen to surprise
a bear (and yourself!) at close range, and IF the bear decides to attack you (instead of retreating), you'll have no
time to pull a pistol from the holster and cock it... So, no use for that as well.
Berislav Horvatic

Postby Ruggero M. » Fri Dec 30, 2016 6:46 pm

Berislav Horvatic wrote:
Ruggero Morimando wrote:I think the idea of becoming a ranger is not a bad one: this job "could" be somehow
nearer to natural environments and/or animals than a job as medical translator... 8-)

Whatever a "medical translator" might mean...

Regarding the "macho version", the rangers in national parks in Croatia are not allowed to carry any firearms,
not even a puny pistol. If they find some visitors doing something strictly forbidden in a NP (like making a fire),
they can only kindly warn them to stop doing it (e.g., extinguish the fire). If they refuse, the ranger can only
call the police - with his cellphone, IF he has a signal amidst the mountain... If not, then forget about it. If it
does work, then more often than not the police just don't bother to climb the Velebit mountain from their cosy
station somewhere deep down on the coast...
Of course I asked about the bears and having no firearms... Well, the answer was clear: if you happen to surprise
a bear (and yourself!) at close range, and IF the bear decides to attack you (instead of retreating), you'll have no
time to pull a pistol from the holster and cock it...
So, no use for that as well.

Sorry, but the answer they gave to you has no sense... The same answer could then exist also for criminals and killers: if a killer is at close range and armed with a gun, and decides to shoot, you'll have no time to pull out your gun... :lol:
But life is not made only of extreme situations: a bear could be not at close range but in an almost-close range, and you could have enough time (if you don't sleep) to extract your gun... ;)

P.S. Or more easily the bear could attack your mate, and with a gun you could save his/her life... :roll:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timothy_Treadwell
Ruggero M.

Hometown: Pavia

Postby Berislav Horvatic » Fri Dec 30, 2016 9:52 pm

Ruggero Morimando wrote:Sorry, but the answer they gave to you has no sense... The same answer could then exist also for criminals and killers: if a killer is at close range and armed with a gun, and decides to shoot, you'll have no time to pull out your gun... :lol:
But life is not made only of extreme situations: a bear could be not at close range but in an almost-close range, and you could have enough time (if you don't sleep) to extract your gun... ;)
P.S. Or more easily the bear could attack your mate, and with a gun you could save his/her life... :roll:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timothy_Treadwell

Ruggero, have you ever faced a bear? I have, in my pyjamas, as I was thrown from my sleep by my mate's shriek that we
have a bear in the yard...

BH_C_1437_RED.jpg

BH_C_1442_SMALL.jpg

I counted on the fact that the bear was some 20 meters away, while the house door was some 10 meters behind me,
which gave me some confidence... If it decides to attack, I just MIGHT be faster... but there was no guarantee...
Bears are terribly fast, despite their bulk. Fortunately, this one just wanted some food and company...

Sorry, but the answer they gave to you has no sense... The same answer could then exist also for criminals and killers:
if a killer is at close range and armed with a gun, and decides to shoot, you'll have no time to pull out your gun... :lol:

YES, quite so. And the same holds if you surprise a bear female with her young.
Berislav Horvatic

Postby Matthijs Hollanders » Fri Dec 30, 2016 10:05 pm

That bear looks like Jeroen after a night of counting salamanders.
Matthijs Hollanders

Hometown: Wageningen

Postby Berislav Horvatic » Fri Dec 30, 2016 10:11 pm

Matthijs Hollanders wrote:That bear looks like Jeroen after a night of counting salamanders.

... wanting some food and company? Or what? The outstretched tongue? Or perhaps its youth (cca. 4 years old)?
Berislav Horvatic

Next

Return to FIELDHERPERS CAFE´