Turtle Shell Incubator Mistery

The place to talk about fieldtechnics, the stuff you use in the field and everything else

Turtle Shell Incubator Mistery

Postby Ilian Velikov » Thu Feb 16, 2017 2:21 pm

This was posted on Fiel Herp Forum. It's a very interesting find but so far nobody could explain what the eggs are from and how and why were they there. What do you guys think?

http://www.fieldherpforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=24121
Ilian Velikov

Hometown: Pravets

Re: Turtle Shell Incubator Mistery

Postby Mario Schweiger » Thu Feb 16, 2017 5:13 pm

I read all posts, but for me these a Sternotherus eggs. They dont look like snake eggs (calcified, hard shell) and the size and amount would fit also to musk turtles.
For example: S. minor eggs are up to 3 x nearly 2 cm and up to 3 or 4 are laid. The female turtle is just a bit larger than 10 - 11 cm.
Mario (Admin)

Please visit also my personal Herp-site vipersgarden.at
Mario Schweiger
Site Admin

Hometown: Obertrum

Postby Ilian Velikov » Thu Feb 16, 2017 5:22 pm

Mario Schweiger wrote:They dont look like snake eggs (calcified, hard shell) and the size and amount would fit also to musk turtles.
For example: S. minor eggs are up to 3 x nearly 2 cm and up to 3 or 4 are laid. The female turtle is just a bit larger than 10 - 11 cm.

I agree with all of this but how would you explain the level of decomposition of the turtle (literally nothing but the shell is left from it, not even bones)versus the fresh looking eggs. And the guy who found them says there was yellow stuff leaking from one of them?
Ilian Velikov

Hometown: Pravets

Postby Frédéric Seyffarth » Thu Feb 16, 2017 5:36 pm

Stunned discovery...
Perhaps the turtle died and then some ants ate all the "soft" parts and let the harder ones...? I know that they can clean some bones perfectly.
Frédéric Seyffarth

Hometown: Husseren-Wesserling

Return to FIELDHERPERS CAFE´