Missing man found in belly of 7m-long python

The place to talk about fieldtechnics, the stuff you use in the field and everything else

Re: Missing man found in belly of 7m-long python

Postby Ruggero M. » Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:10 pm

Exactly! :lol:

You have fully understood what I meant, and exactly showing a picture of a big fourlined snake in the hands of my mate (who is a rather small woman) I had reactions of this type: "You are crazy, this snake could strangle you..."
And also other people (laymen) said to me about snakes: "Snakes are dangerous, even if not venomous, because they can strangle you..."

Now you know why I corrected the word you used: not for polemical reasons! :lol: :P
Ruggero M.

Hometown: Pavia

Postby Berislav Horvatic » Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:57 pm

Ruggero Morimando wrote:Now you know why I corrected the word you used: not for polemical reasons! :lol: :P

I've already publicly apologized for this slip of mine. Yes, just an INCORRECT technical term, terminus technicus.
But not "bad English", just a WRONG TERM in otherwise good English. There is a difference...
But let me tell you (all) one thing: I do adore good English, good German, good Italian, whichever - can't help it...
And I strongly dislike the so-called "Internet English", or "e-mail English", or call it whatever you like... Of course,
it's just one of my personal "problems", and I'll do my best not to insist on it any more - at least not here. Promise.

BTW, a mild and gentle and polite question: Is it really SOOO terribly difficult to REREAD what one has written,
before clicking on "Submit"? (There is also a "Preview" button, so why not use it?) I've asked the same question
before, and almost got fired from the forum...
Berislav Horvatic

Hometown: Zagreb

Postby Ruggero M. » Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:56 am

Berislav Horvatic wrote:BTW, a mild and gentle and polite question: Is it really SOOO terribly difficult to REREAD what one has written,
before clicking on "Submit"? (There is also a "Preview" button, so why not use it?) I've asked the same question
before, and almost got fired from the forum...

Dear Berislav, I didn't know anything about this question, but, as I'm already in the nitpickers club :lol: , I will try to answer your question from my personal point of view!
I think you start from a false premise.
Who does say to you that errors are present in our english because we do not reread our posts?
If you have a poor knowledge of a language, you can reread your post 10 times, and many errors will still be there.
If you don't believe me, I'll write a simple phrase in chinese, and ask you to reread this phrase 10 times to find errors... ;)
I could reread my posts many times, and they will surely still contain some errors...

Second important point (preventing a possible objection). We could theoretically reread our posts 100 times, maybe also with the help of google translators and/or the help of a mother language friend...
But, at this point, considering the fact that forums should be a pleasure and not a work, why this huge work? If it so... I prefer to give up and simply go walking... :P

With symphaty and, as always, no polemical intentions...

P.S. I've reread my post two times: I understand there is better english, but I'm not able to write better than this...believe me... :roll: :lol:
Ruggero M.

Hometown: Pavia

Postby Berislav Horvatic » Fri Apr 14, 2017 2:27 pm

Ruggero Morimando wrote:If you have a poor knowledge of a language, you can reread your post 10 times, and many errors will still be there.
If you don't believe me, I'll write a simple phrase in chinese, and ask you to reread this phrase 10 times to find errors... ;)

You might be surprised - who told you that my Chinese isn't perfect? (No, it isn't. I don't speak Chinese at all.
So, try with your mother tongue - which I also don't speak actively, but still can recognize obvious errors...
Just for the fun of it... Or rather, don't - then we'll both risk being fired from this forum...)
Berislav Horvatic

Hometown: Zagreb

Previous

Return to FIELDHERPERS CAFE´