Amphibian & Reptile T-shirts and other products

The place to talk about fieldtechnics, the stuff you use in the field and everything else

Re: Amphibian & Reptile T-shirts and other products

Postby Daniel Kane » Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:34 pm

Bobby Bok wrote:Sneak peak in my classroom.

Looks good! Aside from the muletensis I'm interested to hear what else you're keeping...
Daniel Kane

Hometown: London

Postby Bobby Bok » Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:39 pm

Thanks lads! Apart from muletensis I am keeping nothing fancy: Eublepharis macularius, Tarentola mauritanica and Litoria caerulea besides some insects such as Eurycantha, Pachnoda and Eudicella. The animals at school have to fit certain criteria such as being low maintenance and interesting for the students (easy to pick up and such).
Bobby Bok

Hometown: Heemskerk

Postby Michal Szkudlarek » Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:07 pm

Bobby how high is the terrarium for Litoria caerulea?
Michal Szkudlarek

Hometown: ...

Postby Ilian Velikov » Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:18 pm

Bobby, I just came back from Galicia and saw this now. Awesome classroom! :D Thanks for posting this photo.
Ilian Velikov

Hometown: Pravets

Postby Berislav Horvatic » Sat Jul 01, 2017 10:05 am

Kevin Esser wrote:I went to the wrong school...

Me too. Most of us did. I also missed the timing... by quite a few decades.
But Bobby is doing his best to educate kids that will/should provide for our pensions,
so it's not in vain...
Berislav Horvatic

Hometown: Zagreb

Postby Ilian Velikov » Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:00 pm

Hey guys,

There are some new posters available with the lizards of Europe. Obviously I had to separate them in a few posters because they wouldn't all fit on one.

I - All non-lacertid lizards
II - Lacertidae - Lacerta
III - Lacertidae - Podarcis
IV - All other lacertids (to follow)

https://www.redbubble.com/people/ilianvelikov/works/27984629-lizards-of-europe-iii?p=poster&finish=semi_gloss&size=medium

Poster_Misc1.jpg

Poster_Lacerta.jpg

Poster_Podarcis.jpg

I hope you like them.

Thanks,
Ilian
Ilian Velikov

Postby Bobby Bok » Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:59 am

Want! Waiting for the other poster before I order ;)
Bobby Bok

Hometown: Heemskerk

Postby Thomas Reich » Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:01 pm

Hi Ilian

Thanks again for your great work. I don't want to criticize at all, I just want to express my personal opinion:

I would have preferred if you had maintained the high number of animals/species of the first two posters. I like the two amphibian posters that show a lot of animals/species very much. I was hoping to be able to hang up 5 or 6 posters that cover all the herpetofauna of Europe. But it looks like there will be 7 reptile posters alone. These are too many for my walls.

I know that maintaining the high number of species would signify a big compromise. You would not have been able to show male and female lizards for example and it would have been difficult to not split the families.

Urodela: 34 species, 43 animals
Anura: 39 species, 43 animals
Vipers: 10 species, 10 animals
Colubrids: 20 species, 20 animals
Lizards I: 19 species, 20 animals
Lizards II: 6 species, 17 animals
Lizards III: 23 species, 35 animals
Thomas Reich

Hometown: Switzerland

Postby Ilian Velikov » Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:02 pm

Ilian Velikov

Postby Ilian Velikov » Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:50 am

Sorry, Thomas I just now noticed your post. Thank you for your opinion and advice.

However, the composition of the posters was mainly driven by aesthetics, and taxonomy had very little to do with how I decided to divide the species. With the amphibians it worked because salamanders and especially frogs have more compact shapes/silhouettes, so it still looks good if you put many of them next to each other. With the lizards it's a different story, i.e. they have long tail and I didn't want them to overlap (between species) because it doesn't look good and because it creates confusion as to which species is which. I also tried as much as I could to have a correct aspect ratio of the size of each species but I also wanted each drawing to be fairly big. I don't think many tiny drawings on a poster would look very nice. This meant that the smallest species still had to be big enough to see it well, resulting in the biggest species being quite big, hence reducing the space available for the number of drawings, if that makes sense? I also think that for most lacertids it is essential to have both male and female as they have quite well pronounced sexual dimorphism.

And last but not least, it was never my aim with this to cover absolutely all species but rather to make some nice posters showing some of the diversity of the European herpetofauna, e.g. there are no Natrix, Malpolon, Eryx, Xerotyphlops because they are neither colubrids nor vipers but they are also too few of them to be ebough for a poster. Also some species were never drawn for the guide to start with, or have only head or belly drawings, so you would have never had all species on your wall anyway ;)
Ilian Velikov

PreviousNext

Return to FIELDHERPERS CAFE´