Hong Kong

The place to talk about fieldtechnics, the stuff you use in the field and everything else

Hong Kong

Postby Ruggero M. » Wed May 31, 2017 7:19 pm

http://beastsofhongkong.blogspot.it/201 ... nakes.html

From the first comment of the web page above: :shock:

"I have seen many many other snakes though including King Cobra. They once nested close by to us in the bamboo thicket and we had hatchlings chasing keel back hatchlings through our flower beds one summer. Delightful little things that aren't at all shy, they pop up like little periscopes to keep track of their prey, as dogged as a JRT. We also had bamboo viper hatchlings in one of our numerous compost heaps, also banded kraits, these Unfortunately I discovered by finding a little dead one thin as a pencil and about as long as my finger. The biggest snake I' be ever seen was a rat snake in the garden. It was fater and longer than any King Cobra I've ever seen more like a python. Completely black with just feint light red brown stripes on the tail area. It was sooooooo relaxed and slow I reckon it was quite old, it happily allowed me to gather up its fat shiny coils and drop it gently back over the terrace it climbed up, sliding through my hands to the very tip of its tail. Only snake I've ever touched, think it thought the puppies would make a good meal not sure. I was just having a relaxed G&T and it started spilling by the meter onto the terrace right next to my chair it almost took my glass off the wall with it. I prefer to leave them completely alone. Watching them hunt is thrilling, they chase frogs all over the place here. Gardening is a very good way to meet and observe snakes. It seems they are more relaxed if you are busy quietly getting on with something and will go about their business in a natural way."

Having read this, I would be interested in the future (for the moment I cannot travel that far) to make some herping in HK, maybe on the island of Lantau, where one can stay in a good and comfortable Hotel and, at the same time, go herping in the night without problems.
One may think that staying inside a hut in the Borneo jungle is probably better for herping, but reading this and other reports from Hong Kong, and watching the herping videos you can find on youtube about HK, one can change idea very quickly about this fact...
Besides this, in Hong Kong you can arrive with a direct flight and find at once a good accomodation: and you can also make some shopping during the day!
The only (not small) downside I can find in herping in HK is that, when you are in HK after 10 hours flight or so, it is simply a pity not to fly to the Philippines or to Micronesia for a good diving activity in some of the best coral barriers of the world... ;)

My question: is there someone on this Forum who has experience about herping in Hong Kong?
Is it really a sort of paradise for herp lovers, or all is due to the fact that in Hong Kong live so many people that snake encounters are more probable than in the more remote and pristine "jungle" localities of SE Asia?

Thanks for the hints!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RECtzo-E0JE
Ruggero M.

Hometown: Pavia

Re: Hong Kong

Postby Borji Heras » Wed May 31, 2017 7:40 pm

Hey ! what a coincidence
i live in Dubai since one year ago, working as cabin crew for an airline, and i have two Hong Kong flights , one after tomorrow, then i go back to Dubai,and another one just after.
i am going to stay there for 24 hours each time
first trip is going to be Hong Kong ,and then in the second one Lantau.
i will let you know what i see
Borji Heras

Hometown: bilbao

Re: Hong Kong

Postby Ruggero M. » Wed May 31, 2017 7:45 pm

Borji Heras wrote:Hey ! what a coincidence
i live in Dubai since one year ago, working as cabin crew for an airline, and i have two Hong Kong flights , one after tomorrow, then i go back to Dubai,and another one just after.
i am going to stay there for 24 hours each time
first trip is going to be Hong Kong ,and then in the second one Lantau.
i will let you know what i see

Thank you very much, Borji! :D ;)
Ruggero M.

Hometown: Pavia

Return to FIELDHERPERS CAFE´