Catching vipers for photography

The place to talk about fieldtechnics, the stuff you use in the field and everything else

Re: Catching vipers for photography

Postby Jeroen Speybroeck » Thu Aug 31, 2017 12:31 pm

Ilian Velikov wrote:Jeroen, sure everybody has their own views and as I said early in this discussion I'm not judging anybody. There's no contempt. Just talking about stuff...

And about the individual level thing and whether you think is important or not I only asked because in your book you have a big paragraph on how to handle amphibians and reptiles properly ;)

You called someone brave for stepping up as 'in it for the hunt'. While that was obviously well intended, to my mind, that's ruling it as less virtuous.

I wrote down some advice and views in a book. That doesn't mean I'm going to try converting every herper. It's there to use by those who find it of use. If not, so be it. Who reads books these days, anyway...
Jeroen Speybroeck
Site Admin

Hometown: Merelbeke

Postby Ilian Velikov » Thu Aug 31, 2017 2:48 pm

Jeroen Speybroeck wrote:You called someone brave for stepping up as 'in it for the hunt'. While that was obviously well intended, to my mind, that's ruling it as less virtuous.

I didn't call him brave, I just said I respect that he's admitting that he does it for himself instead of pretending it has a higher purpose (like what you mentioned about research and so on, and which I agree with) because at the end of the day we're all doing all this herping, photography and so on for ourselves not for the snakes or salamanders or some sort of other greater good.

I don't know why you thought I'm trying to convert anybody to anything or whatever you thought that prompted your apparent irritation? I don't have a chance to meet face to face with many people with similar interests to mine so I'm just using this forum to talk about herping-related staff like that with like-minded people. You, like me, usually have strong opinion and you're not afraid to share it. That's what I was doing too. Whether you agree with somebody's opinion or not is one thing but to condemn the fact that they are expressing it and labeling it as "less virtuous" is another.

Anyway, peace! Next time I'd probably go and write in the "what music do you like" thread. That's shallow enough not to irritate anybody.
Ilian Velikov

Hometown: Pravets

Postby Jeroen Speybroeck » Thu Aug 31, 2017 3:15 pm

Ilian Velikov wrote:I don't know why you thought I'm trying to convert anybody to anything or whatever you thought that prompted your apparent irritation?

? I wrote that I am not trying to convert anyone. Not the same as saying you are. I am not irritated by you, I am only tired of the topic (and to my mind related emo stuff like 'collecting is superharmful'), as I said from the start. But I appreciate that many others aren't, as is obvious from the above responses. Don't mind me, really.
Jeroen Speybroeck
Site Admin

Postby Jeroen Speybroeck » Thu Aug 31, 2017 3:21 pm

Michal Szkudlarek wrote:
Jeroen Speybroeck wrote:Rare or unsubstantiated cases, in general.

Which cases are rare on unsubstantiated? Those in which capturing wild herptiles has allegedly small impact on health of population?

No, the opposite.
Jeroen Speybroeck
Site Admin

Postby Ilian Velikov » Thu Aug 31, 2017 4:07 pm

Jeroen Speybroeck wrote: I am only tired of the topic (and to my mind related emo stuff like 'collecting is superharmful')

Well, I'm tired of the topic how many species this or that person has on their list but I don't mock people for talking about it. I'm "twitching" too, so before anybody gets offended I don't mind the silly game, I just don't think there's much to talk about it. So if one is so tired of a topic they just don't take part in discussing it and leave that to others who are not tired of it.
Ilian Velikov

Hometown: Pravets

Postby Jeroen Speybroeck » Thu Aug 31, 2017 4:46 pm

Jeroen Speybroeck wrote:But I appreciate that many others aren't, as is obvious from the above responses. Don't mind me, really.
Jeroen Speybroeck
Site Admin

Postby Jeroen Speybroeck » Thu Aug 31, 2017 4:48 pm

Ilian Velikov wrote:I'm tired of the topic how many species this or that person has on their list.

When and how often has this been discussed here? And please, if it happens & it's up to me, feel free to make fun of it.
Jeroen Speybroeck
Site Admin

Previous

Return to FIELDHERPERS CAFE´