vision.herpmapper.org

The place to talk about fieldtechnics, the stuff you use in the field and everything else

Re: vision.herpmapper.org

Postby Michal Szkudlarek » Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:30 pm

In the human brain all data is freely associated and retrieved with an astonishing speed (almost instantaneously). In the computer everything is in a mathematical order and the information is retrieved in a very different way.

What about neural computers?
Michal Szkudlarek

Hometown: ...

Postby Ilian Velikov » Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:59 pm

Michal Szkudlarek wrote:In the human brain all data is freely associated and retrieved with an astonishing speed (almost instantaneously). In the computer everything is in a mathematical order and the information is retrieved in a very different way.

What about neural computers?

I haven't heard about those but a quick Google search showed me that there's only one such computer so far (if I understand correctly), DNC, which so far "have only been demonstrated to handle relatively simple tasks, which could have been easily solved using conventional computer programming decades ago." So not even close to a human brain.

A perfect example to illustrate what I was talking about. No computer, even one with billions of parameters put into it would be able to ID anything from this blurry photo, but my human brain can.
http://fieldherping.eu/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=2798&p=28177#p28177
Ilian Velikov

Hometown: Pravets

Postby Bernard Carrette » Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:13 pm

Ilian, I want to apologize as indeed you did not say that humans would be more accurate than "machines". I felt the need to react because most of the reactions were negative on the possibilities of automatic recognition. I am not advocating the use of so called AI tools for the sake of it, but I try to stay objective on the capabilities of these both worlds (humans/"machines"). They are complementary. You need to know (and aknowdlege) when the "other" is better than you. Especially on the emotional side. A human will sometimes translate his whishes into reality. I trapped myself often, to think on the spot it was THIS particular species because I hooed it would be this one. After "cooling down" I had to admit I was wrong. But that takes discipline....
Bernard Carrette

Hometown: Tubize

Postby Jeroen Speybroeck » Thu Sep 07, 2017 12:18 am

Well, this little toy is not perfect, but it does work surprisingly well. Great fun...
Jeroen Speybroeck
Site Admin

Hometown: Merelbeke

Previous

Return to FIELDHERPERS CAFE´