Hello from Slovakia

The admin would like to ask all our members to give a short introduction of themselves here - also please include a picture of yourself, so we will recognize you in the field.

Hello from Slovakia

Postby Ladislav Vasil » Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:09 pm

Hi, my name is Ladislav, I was born In Košice, Slovakia.

I was interested in reptiles and amphibians since I can remember, I was always observing frogs and lizards that lived in the same area as I was.
I'm 18 years old now and this year I'm finishing high school. I would like to study biology and after that reptile ethology or herpetology if possible.

Since 2010 I'm a member of an organisation for reptile protection in my country called "Plazy u nás" which can be translate to "Peptiles with us" :). http://plazyunas.com/
I keep reptiles at home, and I'm working for an importer as a part time job, so I'm working with animals there too. I'm also one of the curators in Aqua-Terra class we created in our town. We teach children about different animals and the importance of nature, we also keep a lot of reptiles, fishes and rodents there.
My main intrests are boas from the genus Corallus, but I'm also interested in much more animals, not only reptiles an amphibians.

When I will have the time I will place some pictures of local herps.

I'm looking forward to get to know you.
Ladislav Vasil

Hometown: Kosice

Re: Hello from Slovakia

Postby Jeroen Speybroeck » Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:45 pm

Vitajte!
Jeroen Speybroeck
Site Admin

Hometown: Merelbeke

Re: Hello from Slovakia

Postby Michal Szkudlarek » Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:16 pm

Hi
It is quite interesting that "plazy" in Slovak language translates into "reptiles" while "płazy" in Polish means "amphibians". The reason is, that this word orginates from West Slavic Language and in old Polish language "płazy" is closely related to "płożyć" (ang. to crawl). :mrgreen:
Michal Szkudlarek

Hometown: ...

Return to Introduce yourself