Hello from South Tyneside UK

The admin would like to ask all our members to give a short introduction of themselves here - also please include a picture of yourself, so we will recognize you in the field.

Hello from South Tyneside UK

Postby Daryn Cairns » Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:02 pm

Hi My name is Daryn, my hobbies are travelling to Mallorca my favourite holiday destination and which I own a travel site for this place , amateur radio/cb radio and tortoises.

Every time I go to Mallorca Calvia area I look out for tortes so I can take photos of them in the wild but never been successful but look forward to seeing photos that others on here have posted.

I rehomed a Spur thighed Ibera this year and plan on rehoming another next year. Im very active on a tortoise forum not sure of the rules for naming them so wont on this occasion.

Im a taxi driver in my home town.

So thats a bit about me, I look forward to reading all your posts and photos.
:D
Daryn Cairns

Hometown: South Tyneside

Re: Hello from South Tyneside UK

Postby Jeroen Speybroeck » Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:03 am

Jeroen Speybroeck
Site Admin

Hometown: Merelbeke

Postby Alexander Pieh » Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:07 am

Dear Daryn,
welcome to the forum.
The greacas from Mallorca are introduced according to my few the "striped Algerians".
I´m very critical about "rehoming".
Are you in contact with J. Mayol?
Sincerely
Alex
Alexander Pieh

Hometown: Stuttgart

Postby Daryn Cairns » Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:26 am

Hi Alex thanks for the welcome, no Ive never heard of J. Mayol at all TBH can you give me more information.

You say your very critical about "rehoming". Not sure what you mean by this, do you not approve of people rehoming tortoises. I have to say there is alot of tortoises that need rehoming in the UK, people buy them only to find they dont know how to look after them and the poor things suffer, keeping them is a life long commitment

I had one as a child I'm 45 now and have always wanted another one but refused to buy them from pets shops as I think you are just helping the trade and the trade does not seem to know how to look after them either, I came across a certain forum that has an expert whom has dedicated his life to them, everything is scientifically studied in the wild. Then I found the rehoming section and decided to give myself a year of study first and have everything in place, believe it or not that plan didn't work, 6 months in I had a discussion with a lady in my taxi about torts and she had one that she wanted to rehome, this is how I came about my first one, the poor things shell is deformed really bad but she gets the proper care and diet now, everything I do for her is replicating as much as I can what she would have in the wild, no treats etc, I dont understand why anyone would give a torte treats.

The site I'm on will not rehome a tortoise to anyone that has not got the correct facilities, they also have to prove that they know how to look after one of these creatures, diet etc, all questions must be answered and photos of where they will be kept.

I find it a shame that these reptiles that are not wanted cannot be taken back to there natural place and released after quarantine obviously.
Daryn Cairns

Postby Alexander Pieh » Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:57 pm

Dear Daryn, I have got you wrong.
I thought you rehomed an ibera in Mallorca.
Sorry
Alex
Alexander Pieh

Hometown: Stuttgart

Postby Daryn Cairns » Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:11 pm

No problem at all, wow I thought I was doing wrong by helping out :) Now I understand what you meant as well.

No believe me I would much rather see them living in the wild than home with me in artificial conditions . :D
Daryn Cairns

Postby Daryn Cairns » Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:13 pm

Jeroen Speybroeck wrote:Welcome and =>
http://www.hylawerkgroep.be/jeroen/index.php?id=14

Hi Jeroen thanks for the welcome, sorry I missed your post, Ive now had a look, thanks very much, thats really interesting with great photos. Im real glad I came across this site, it was by accident but wow its amazing. Expect me to be around alot. :D
Daryn Cairns

Return to Introduce yourself