A confused fish biologist writes

The admin would like to ask all our members to give a short introduction of themselves here - also please include a picture of yourself, so we will recognize you in the field.

A confused fish biologist writes

Postby Matt Ford » Wed Jul 22, 2015 9:05 pm

Hi everyone,

My name is Matt, born in 1978 in Lancashire, UK. In 2008 I had an epiphany (a blonde, female one) and since then have been resident in Spain, initially in Barcelona but more recently in Málaga, Andalucía.

Must confess that I'm not 100% a field herper. Freshwater fishes are my first love, so much so that I decided to study them, but nature in general has always been my passion. Amphibians are perhaps my second-favourite group, although reptiles, birds, mammals, and pretty much all other life forms that are not highly invasive simians follow close behind.

Found this forum some time ago via Jeroen Speybroeck's website, and since then have spent many enjoyable hours improving my knowledge here and reading trip reports on certain members' home pages. Having amassed enough herp photos to avoid embarrassing myself completely decided to join up and hope to give a little back. :) Would also love to learn more about photography (pretty much all my shots until now are in situ) and field techniques, specifically relating to snakes and lizards, and will undoubtedly need plenty of help with species ids.

As appears to be traditional I'll now post a couple of pics. Hope it's ok to post non-European species here so as not to eat into my horribly finite photo bank.

Anolis homolechis, Pinar del Río, Cuba
Anolis homolechis.jpg

Python reticulatus, Tioman Island, Malaysia
Python reticulatus.jpg
Matt Ford

Hometown: Torremolinos

Re: A confused fish biologist writes

Postby Rémon ter Harmsel » Thu Jul 23, 2015 8:47 am

Welcome Matt! Sounds like you had on of the best types of epiphany :D
Rémon ter Harmsel

Hometown: Wageningen

Return to Introduce yourself