Looking for others: Croatia in March/April

Looking for others: Croatia in March/April

Postby Mario Riedling » Wed Jan 06, 2016 10:46 am

Hey there,

I'm planning to fly to Croatia in March or April.
Maybe some of you are down there at the same time.

I'll be there alone but maybe you need somebody to keep you company :P
Well, I'd like to be there with others too if I could decide!
So just shoot me a message if you're intersted!

Regards,
Mario
Mario Riedling

Hometown: Pfinztal

Re: Looking for others: Croatia in March/April

Postby Alexandre Roux » Wed Jan 06, 2016 12:33 pm

If only I had some day off...
Alexandre Roux
Flickr Gallery
Alexandre Roux

Hometown: Beynost

Postby Mario Riedling » Sat Jan 16, 2016 11:43 am

Hey all,

@Alexandre: I hope that some are in a better position ;)

I booked my flight in the meantime so I'll be there definitely in the beginning of April ;)

Feel free to contact me!

Greetings,
Mario
Mario Riedling

Hometown: Pfinztal

Postby Alexandre Roux » Sat Jan 16, 2016 12:32 pm

Mario Riedling wrote:Hey all,

@Alexandre: I hope that some are in a better position ;)

I booked my flight in the meantime so I'll be there definitely in the beginning of April ;)

Feel free to contact me!

Greetings,
Mario

Too bad you go so early as my friends and I decided to change our plans to visit Croatia / Montenegro in the beginning of may instead of Israel (as we only have 10 days, it's not enough).
Alexandre Roux
Flickr Gallery
Alexandre Roux

Postby Berislav Horvatic » Sat Jan 16, 2016 2:12 pm

Mario Riedling wrote:I booked my flight in the meantime so I'll be there definitely in the beginning of April ;)

I had a discussion with Mario via "private messages" here and e-mail afterwards, and I'm sorry to
hear that he had already booked his flight for the beginning of April. Unless he gets extremely
lucky, the trip could be a great disappointment.
As I told him, normally, at the end of March and the beginning of April the first V. berus bosniensis
males emerge from hibernation AROUND ZAGREB, that is, at some 100 m a.s.l.
The spawning of Rana arvalis around Zagreb, the BLUE FRENZY, usually takes place mid March.
Regarding the V. ursinii habitats, at and above 1000 m a.s.l., one might expect a lot of snow and
not much else. Sorry.
So, those choosing the beginning of May (Alexandre & al.) might have been wiser/better informed...
They did pick the right time, even for ursinii, if all goes well.
Berislav Horvatic

Hometown: Zagreb

Postby Kristian Munkholm » Sat Jan 16, 2016 2:45 pm

Alexandre Roux wrote:...my friends and I decided to change our plans to visit Croatia / Montenegro in the beginning of may instead of Israel (as we only have 10 days, it's not enough).

I don't want to discourage you from going to the Balkans as I'm sure you'll have a nice trip. However, as a reason not to go to Israel that is just silly.

Israel is a small country and, at least with a minimum of advance info, easy to herp. Unless you have some crazy and unrealistic ambition to find every species on your first trip or you think that going to Israel for the first time there are a lot of other things you must do besides herping, 10 days is plenty of time:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=774&p=5577
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1914&p=18459
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2224&p=21585

...and if that is too hectic for you, check out Jürgen and Gert Jan's reports, all, I believe, trips shorter than 10 days ;)
Kristian Munkholm

Hometown: Copenhagen

Postby Alexandre Roux » Sat Jan 16, 2016 11:12 pm

Kristian Munkholm wrote:Israel is a small country and, at least with a minimum of advance info, easy to herp. Unless you have some crazy and unrealistic ambition to find every species on your first trip or you think that going to Israel for the first time there are a lot of other things you must do besides herping, 10 days is plenty of time:

You're right but there were some other reasons justifying our choice.
The best one to me is that, we weren't going only for the herps but also for birds and mammals. And if we want to cover all of these groups with enough time, we must take more than 10 days.

Moreover, come back to Croatia after my summer trip in 2011 was one of my plans for the years to come and I'm really happy to do it next year.

Israelian trip is not over, just for the next time ! ;)
Alexandre Roux
Flickr Gallery
Alexandre Roux

Postby Niklas Ban » Mon Jan 18, 2016 11:31 am

Berislav Horvatic wrote:
Mario Riedling wrote:I booked my flight in the meantime so I'll be there definitely in the beginning of April ;)

I had a discussion with Mario via "private messages" here and e-mail afterwards, and I'm sorry to
hear that he had already booked his flight for the beginning of April. Unless he gets extremely
lucky, the trip could be a great disappointment.

Marc and I did this last year, even we had very nice weather conditions it was hard to find some snakes and we had a lot of work finding them, even at the hotspots. Hope that the weather is nice and you will find some herps, but as Bero said, a few weeks later it should be much easier and more productive.
Niklas Ban

Hometown: Duesseldorf

Postby Berislav Horvatic » Mon Jan 18, 2016 3:01 pm

Niklas Ban wrote:
Berislav Horvatic wrote:Marc and I did this last year, even we had very nice weather conditions it was hard to find some snakes and we had
a lot of work finding them, even at the hotspots. Hope that the weather is nice and you will find some herps, but as
Bero said, a few weeks later it should be much easier and more productive.

14 - 17 April 2006 I joined the Austrian team going fieldherping in Central Dalmatia. Here we are, in Trogir (nine years
younger than now, all of us, of course):

Th1275_RED.jpg

Four days of fieldherping, eight quite able people, and not a single Vipera ammodytes. Well, yes, we found quite a
lot of other species, not in abundance, but still... It was like going on a safari in Africa, and finding a lot of zebras,
giraffes, antelopes,... but not a single lion... When you come home, and show your photos, everyone will ask you
"Well, all this is very nice, but where's the lion...?! You went all the way to Kenya and haven't seen a single lion?!"
And it was Central Dalmatia, the middle of April... As you can see in the above picture, it wasn't cold at all...
Still, and quite inexplicably, the first V. ammodytes (to my knowledge) emerged a week after our trip... So, April
can surprise you, in either direction...
Berislav Horvatic

Postby Berislav Horvatic » Mon Jan 18, 2016 3:40 pm

Alexandre Roux wrote:Moreover, come back to Croatia after my summer trip in 2011 was one of my plans for the years to
come and I'm really happy to do it next year. Israelian trip is not over, just for the next time ! ;)

Feel free to contact me some time in advance, if you wish.
Berislav Horvatic

Return to field trips