Last two weekends

Especially for your bird observations

Last two weekends

Postby Vlad Cioflec » Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:20 am

Greetings and salutations my fellow herpers and birders, here`s what i`ve been up to latley:

Two weeks ago, i was told that i could go out with the guys to some distant reserves in Dobroudja, but in exchange for that i would have to babysit this last weekend. It was a sweet deal, so i packed my bags and hit the road.

Well, the weather sucked and there was no herp in sight, just some mammals and nice birds, but nothing special.

The border.JPG
After the white pole you cross into Bulgaria. Don`t!

Roe deer.jpg
Capreolus capreolus

Black-throated Loon.jpg
Gavia arctica

Ruddy Shelducks.jpg
Tadorna ferruginea

500 kilometeres and nothing to show for it... Well no birding trip to look for in the near future so might as well forget about the great outdoors for a while and concentrate on the housework, i guess. :roll:

Now for the interesting part.
So i was playing with my daughter Sunday morning while my wife was away. Suddenly the phone rings but the reception was poor. Therefore i got closer to the kitchen window, and finally opened it. And i had quite a shock! :shock:
Right there before my eyes stood the bird i was searching for since i started birding , the beautiful male Bullfinch:

Bullfinch.jpg
Pyrrhula pyrrhula

That`s birding for you, part skill, part luck. Mostly luck it seems. ;)

Thanks for reading and good birding!
Vlad
Vlad Cioflec

Hometown: Bucharest

Re: Last two weekends

Postby Ray Hamilton » Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:18 am

Bullfinches are always great to see - so colourful against the Winter foliage. I take it they are fairly rare around Romania?
Ray Hamilton

Hometown: Bournemouth

Postby Vlad Cioflec » Thu Nov 29, 2012 6:18 am

Well Ray,

Maybe they` re not so rare as breeding birds in the Carpthian forests, but on the winterig grounds along the Danube where i do most of my birding the sightings are rarer than those of a sasquatch, i`ll tell you that! ;) If i had some spare cash lying around i would go out and get a tatoo of this epic sighting right now! :mrgreen:

Cheers,
Vlad
Vlad Cioflec

Hometown: Bucharest

Postby Ray Hamilton » Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:34 am

If i had some spare cash lying around i would go out and get a tatoo of this epic sighting right now!

I usually jot my sightings down in a notebook?
Ray Hamilton

Hometown: Bournemouth

Return to Birds section