Fun in the park

Especially for your bird observations

Fun in the park

Postby Vlad Cioflec » Sun Aug 01, 2010 5:44 pm

Hi there,

I`m just gonna quickly tell you how by birding day went.

Well, being summer and very very hot, i had to get out at the crack of dawn, and since my local patch is open wasteland, i had to go somewhere with shade, so i chose a forested park close to home.

Habitat.JPG
Park

Bird wise, i had two surprises. First i saw the vulnerable Levant Sparrowhawks for the first time in Bucharest. Not only that, they breed right here in my neighbourhood. :D

The other surprise was even bigger! I just couldn`t believe my eyes when i saw six Ring-necked Parakeets making a racket in the foliage.
Last year there was only a pair there, and i was pretty sure they wouldn`t make it through the tough winter. Well, not only that, but they sucesfully brought up chicks! :mrgreen:

Papagali.JPG
Psittacula krameri

I tried some herping as well. Flipping din`t help one bit. Most of the times i found nothing, sometimes ants.
Glad i found this guy though. Not much, i know, but hey, it was bigger than an ant. :P
He was`t as thrilled to see me, as he sprayed me with his foul smelling alien musk. Phew!

Creatura.JPG
Cool bug

Well, one herp did turn up, and i never recall being so happy to see a Marsh Frog. :lol:

Broasca mare de lac.JPG
Pelophylax ridibundus

Cheers!
Vlad
Vlad Cioflec

Hometown: Bucharest

Re: Fun in the park

Postby Peter Oefinger » Sun Aug 01, 2010 6:14 pm

Cool - the Psittaculas seem to be a successful pan-European neozoic: from Bucharest to Amsterdam...
Peter Oefinger

Hometown: Duesseldorf

Postby Mario Schweiger » Sun Aug 01, 2010 8:50 pm

Yes, even in Tyrol there is a successfull breeding colony!

Mario
Mario (Admin)

Please visit also my personal Herp-site vipersgarden.at
Mario Schweiger
Site Admin

Hometown: Obertrum

Postby Ilian Velikov » Mon Aug 02, 2010 1:42 pm

I first saw the parrots here in London and I was well surprised, but I didn't know we had them in the Balkans! :) If they have got as far as Bucharest I'm pretty sure they'll get to Bulgaria, as well !
Ilian Velikov

Hometown: Pravets

Return to Birds section