Queensland 2014/2015

For your reports/images, made outside Europe and the "Mediterranean" countries. Not to be too narrow minded and limited to our European/Mediterranean herps.

Re: Queensland 2014/2015

Postby Alexandre Roux » Fri Mar 14, 2014 5:11 am

In the night of wednesday, I received a text message saying "Hey Alex, one of my friend have a snake to remove in her house, will you come?". Of course I can't say "No I prefer stay in my room and do nothing".
I went with Eliott, a local herper, in his friend house. She have some rats and that's why the snake was really interested in this room.

Arriving there, we found a medium sized Carped python slowly enterring the room.
Not really affraid by us.

Morelia spilota

Morelia spilota

We released it next to a cemetery, in a wild bush area.

Morelia spilota
Alexandre Roux
Flickr Gallery
Alexandre Roux

Hometown: Beynost

Postby Sandra Panienka » Sun Mar 16, 2014 9:43 am

Very cool pics already!
Sandra Panienka

Hometown: Heidelberg

Postby Alexandre Roux » Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:15 am

First picture, a Tawny frogmouth in the Brisbane city botanical garden a few days ago:

Podargus strigoides

Then, I just spent 2 days with herpers, but the weather was not very nice.
Anyway, we've seen wonderful reptiles and frogs, that was a very nice time with very nice guys !

We went to Mt Glorious road, to d'Aguilar NP, and we found 2 snakes on the road.
The first was a Stephen's Banded Snake (Hoplocephalus stephensii), my first venomous of Australia (elapid of course) !!!
The second was an Eastern small-eyed snake (Cryptophis nigrescens), another venomous, a wonderful snake to my mind.
We've been to a nice place with nice toilets, and very nice visitors in the toilets (I found a big Green tree frog in the toilet !!!). But there were another frog in a better place, better for pictures.

Mixophyes fasciolatus

Litoria caerulea

Hoplocephalus stephensii

Cryptophis nigrescens

Yesterday, we've been to Broadwater lake, near Dalby, looking for Black snakes and Red-bellied black, but we just found some skinks and geckos, an Eastern Robust Slider and kangaroos...
I saw a big monitor crossing the road, but too far from me to identify the species.

Lerista punctatovittata

We spent the end of the day with a small walk in a place where Red-bellied black snakes occurs but we just found a Green tree snake. It was probably too hot.

Dendrelaphis punctulatus
Alexandre Roux
Flickr Gallery
Alexandre Roux

Postby Aleksandar Simovic » Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:18 am

Nice photos!
Aleksandar Simovic

Hometown: Belgrade

Postby Gabriel Martínez » Wed Mar 19, 2014 1:01 pm

Interesting animals Aleksandar. The Hoplocephalus looks really cool (a pity to don´t see a close-up of the head ;) ) and the Lerista remember me some Ophiomorus-Chalcides mediterranean species. Thanks for sharing!
Gabriel Martínez

Hometown: Madrid

Postby Guillaume Gomard » Wed Mar 19, 2014 3:57 pm

Great shots, Alex. Could you also post pictures of the habitat? I find it almost as interesting as the animals themselves. Thx!
Guillaume Gomard

Hometown: Strasbourg

Postby Alexandre Roux » Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:54 pm

Oh I just didn't take the time to do pictures of the habitat (first pictures, it was at night so I can't, but I have no excuses for the Lake Broadwater...).
I won't forget next time.

Gabriel Martínez wrote:Interesting animals Aleksandar. The Hoplocephalus looks really cool (a pity to don´t see a close-up of the head ;) )

My name sounds more like Alexandre :lol:

I didn't took close-up pictures like I did in France or with the Green tree snake and Python because of the venom of these snakes, I have to be very close to the head for that kind of pictures...
Anyway, if you want the head:
Cryptophis nigrescens

Hoplocephalus stephensii
Alexandre Roux
Flickr Gallery
Alexandre Roux

Postby Gabriel Martínez » Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:05 pm

Alexandre Roux wrote:My name sounds more like Alexandre

:oops: sorry!!

The Cryptophis nigrescens is very strange and new for me.

Hoplocephalus stephensii head is amazing, many colours, like in the vipers. Australia is the paradise of the rare elapids...

Thanks for the close-ups, hope to see in future more photos of your Australian adventures ;)
Gabriel Martínez

Hometown: Madrid

Postby Pierre-Yves Vaucher » Wed Mar 26, 2014 2:40 am

wow !! Alexandre, Thanks for sharing ! joli et bien négocié que tout ceci ! Its really pleasant to travel with you
Pierre-Yves Vaucher

Postby Alexandre Roux » Wed Mar 26, 2014 4:53 am

Thanks everybody for your comments.

These times are pretty quiet so I have a few pictures to share but not a lot. And the weather is not good since 2 days, and it seems like it will not be better before some time...

I spent 1 day next to Moreton island with a company and I had a lot of fun but I was there for dolphins and the fact is that I only saw 2 dolphins during the traject from the coast to the island and they didn't stop as they were supposed to...
I was happy to snorkel the Tangalooma wrecks with a big Wobbegong (I would have liked to film it but my camera was full of fog (first time I used it in the water)).
Some raptors, big sea turtles and 3 Dugongs in the end of the tour during their famous "eco cruise" I've paid so much for, which was only 35 minutes long...

Haliastur sphenurus

Dugong dugon

After that cruise, I was a little bit deceived but marine life is not previsible and that seems like we were not lucky, even if we expected something else from this tour, Dugong were just awesome so we'll keep it in mind better than the fact that we didn't see dolphins as we used to hope.
We came back home crossing the Brisbane city's botanical garden, just a good way to take pictures of a friendly bird and hear the great sound of the Kookaburras.

Gallirallus philippensis

The day after, the weather was great, not too hot and we decided to come back to the city's botanical garden at night. As we found a python the first time and a beautiful frogmouth during the second time we were ready for new surprises !
More than a surprise, we were just looking at a sleeping duck in a pound when I walked next to a big tree and saw something climbing on... That was a young Carpet python !

Morelia spilota

Now I'm looking for a campervan to move across Australia looking for some farm job. I need money to pay my "winter" travel to Cairns and my "summer" venue to New Zealand looking for dolphins ! I also plan a dive with the Great white shark (my biggest dream ever but without a cage would be better, but impossible for me).
Alexandre Roux
Flickr Gallery
Alexandre Roux

PreviousNext

Return to Herping in the rest of the world