Asia travels - Central & South China and Japan

For your reports/images, made outside Europe and the "Mediterranean" countries. Not to be too narrow minded and limited to our European/Mediterranean herps.

Asia travels - Central & South China and Japan

Postby Tim Leerschool » Wed Aug 27, 2014 6:13 pm

Hi all,

I haven't posted a lot since a while but I am currently doing a big (2.5 month) trip through China and Japan. Meanwhile, of course I am keeping my eyes open for any herps to be seen. Those I wanted to share with you in this post. I'll try to upload some pictures when the internet is allowing me to but here is a summary of the first week.

Week 1: Surrounding of Chengdu
We flew from Amsterdam to Chengdu with a transfer in Hong Kong. A long flight (13 hours) was pretty exhausting so the first days were spent adjusting and coping with the weather (around 30 degrees Celsius and a very high humidity) and the spicy food. The parks in Chengdu revealed some herps but they were all a big ''iffy''.
Bull frog Lithobates catesbeianus, probably introduced from the local restaurants as they were quite easy to get for consumption.

Red-eared sliders that were introduced. The park had a ''release pond''. Unfortunately, someone also released a land turtle that had made its way in the water and did not come out of it...

The pond was full of Trachemys species and several others that I could not identify. The big floating thing in the water was the land turtle.

I also saw sea turtles and an actual Chinese Giant Salamander being sold in the local fish market. This is the one that really got to me. Highly endangered and protected and still being offered here to eat. Pretty much everything that moves, slithers, crawls, flies, swims or jumps, you can be certain there are Chinese people who eat them.

However, we made some small trips to Leshan and the Qingcheng mountains which revealed the very first herps.

Leshan, for any who have been to Chengdu should be familiar. A very touristy place, the tallest buddha can be found here. Luckily, it seems that the Chinese prefer to only go to the main tourist spot and don't wander about that much. Some secluded temples where disturbance was not that high revealed the first skink!

Sphenomorphus indicus (corrected, thanks to Kevin Messenger)

The habitat of Sphenomorphus indicus

There was a renovation of a nearby temple which they showed ,had snake sheds in the wood of some of the pillars. No snake unfortunately for me that day so what species it was remains a mystery.

Anyhow, the following day we went to the Qingcheng mountains. A truly breathtaking place. For me this was the first time in a ''somewhat'' jungle environment but very rewarding. A large climb up the mountain with nice views again revealed some E. chinensis. On the way there I told my girlfriend that we might have a chance of seeing snakes. Not even 5 min. later she says, ''Tim, is that a snake?!'' I turn around and right next to the path she points to a large curled-up snake. It turned out to be a big pitviper: Protobothrops mucrosquamatus. Surprisingly the snake was right next to the path where maybe more than 100 people already passed that day. The animal did not bother it that much and the pictures were taken without handling.

Protobothrops mucrosquamatus
As seen by my girlfriend

Close-up

This is how close it was to the path

At the end of the day we passed some small creeks with pools. There were large tadpoles in the water so we took a closer look. Four big frogs jumped from the shore into the water. With some doubts I started feeling around in the murky water (I wasn't sure what else might be there). Luckily I felt one of the frogs and got it to pose. A Paa species (yet to be determined). Sturdy and big frogs.

Habitat where the frog was found. Muddy shallow pools in mountain streams

Other amphibians sighted on the slopes of the mountains was, what I presume to be Asiatic toad: Bufo gargarizans (please correct me if I am wrong). Also some brownish Rana-like frog escaped in between the bamboo.

Bufo gargarizans

That was it for the Chengdu adventures. We then left for Chongqing, Lijiang and currently Dali. I will try to upload some pictures of the herps that were found there.

Hope you enjoyed reading and with the best regards,

Tim
Tim Leerschool

Hometown: Limburg

Re: Asia travels - Central & South China and Japan

Postby Jeroen Speybroeck » Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:26 pm

Great, keep it coming!
Jeroen Speybroeck
Site Admin

Hometown: Merelbeke

Postby Bobby Bok » Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:55 am

Very nice to catch a glimpse from a place in the world where we so rarely see pictures from. Love the Protobothrops and how it was found!
Bobby Bok

Hometown: Heemskerk

Postby Tim Leerschool » Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:44 am

Hi all!

I've found a spot in the hostel that provides some better internet and am happy to share some more pictures with you. These are made in the vicinity of Chongqing (Chongqing province) and Dali (Yunnan Province). We visited Lijiang (Yunnan Province) between the city but found nothing interesting there. The city was incredibly touristy and a day trip to the outskirts of the city resulted in nothing, probably due to bad weather.

Chongqing
We only had a few days here but spent one day up in the mountains. The city was massive (never seen so many buildings and skyscrapers crammed into one valley). The view over the Yangtze river was very nice though!

A hike up the nearby mountains revealed only some skinks. In the village on top of the mountain we found a peculiar sight. My girlfriend already knows it is good to look at water holes etc. that can act as a pitfall trap. Near the entrance of one of the parks there we found just over 10 B. gargarizans, a rana like frog, Paa species and a small little Pelophylax like frog. Do excuse me for not knowing the species names yet. The fieldguides arrived just a few days after we left. I will update the names on return.

B. gargarizans couple locked in.

The Pelophylax like frog

Paa species

The Rana individual

The habitat of the park (only 20m. away) looked great for amphibians, so they were released there.

Dali was more interesting! From our hotel we had a fantastic view over the, very mystic looking, mountains.

Due to the weather (rainy most of the times) no reptiles were spotted up in the mountains but a big pit in the middle of the forest revealed some stunning Odorrana species. These frogs are big and beautiful! And to top it of they are accurate jumpers as one of them jumped straight in my girlfriends t-shirt, after which she screamed my ears off :D .

Well, I'll save the rest for later. We spend some more days around Dali and a trip to Lake Erhai revealed some nice snakes! That will follow soon. Tomorrow we leave from Kunming to Guiyang.

With the best regards and I hope you'll enjoy reading,

Tim
Tim Leerschool

Postby Ruggero M. » Wed Sep 03, 2014 11:03 am

Wow! I would like so much an herp-travel to China!
Is it difficult to organize?
Incredible the picture of the Protobothrobs along a busy road... :o

Thanks for sharing!
Ruggero M.

Hometown: Pavia

Postby Tim Leerschool » Wed Sep 03, 2014 2:03 pm

Hi Ruggero,

the trip is just a backpacking trip through China and Japan but with a very forgiving girlfriend (who is by now getting the hang of finding herps) it is very much possible to find some herps.

The trip itself was not too much of planning. One BIG advantage though is that my girlfriend can speak, understand and read Chinese. I believe without this many people would be stuck in the main tourist attractions that yield little herps (although the Protobothrops was found in a very touristy place). Mainly comes down to sheer luck, a good eye for suitable habitat and putting in some hours of looking.

I do want to do a full blown herping trip in the future though to find some special herps like Azemiops, and several Trimerusurus species, in case I miss those species in this trip.

Glad you liked the photos!

With all the best,

Tim
Tim Leerschool

Postby Ruggero M. » Wed Sep 03, 2014 3:04 pm

Thanks Tim! :P
Ruggero M.

Hometown: Pavia

Postby Jeroen Speybroeck » Wed Sep 03, 2014 3:18 pm

Tim Leerschool wrote:Azemiops (...) in case I miss those species in this trip.

That's the spirit! Go get 'em! :mrgreen:
Jeroen Speybroeck
Site Admin

Hometown: Merelbeke

Postby Tim Leerschool » Thu Sep 04, 2014 3:10 pm

Jeroen Speybroeck wrote:
Tim Leerschool wrote:Azemiops (...) in case I miss those species in this trip.

That's the spirit! Go get 'em! :mrgreen:

Haha yep ;) , I'm indeed setting a challenge but that gets me places! Fingers crossed still and else it's back again for another trip.
Tim Leerschool

Postby Matthijs Hollanders » Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:26 am

Good stuff man!
Matthijs Hollanders

Hometown: Wageningen

Next

Return to Herping in the rest of the world