Family visit, Texas style

For your reports/images, made outside Europe and the "Mediterranean" countries. Not to be too narrow minded and limited to our European/Mediterranean herps.

Re: Family visit, Texas style

Postby Guillaume Gomard » Fri Oct 24, 2014 6:19 pm

Really nice area. I love the gators and I would buy flight tickets only to see this Micrurus in the wild :mrgreen: Thanks for sharing!
Guillaume Gomard

Hometown: Strasbourg

Re: Family visit

Postby Jürgen Gebhart » Fri Oct 24, 2014 6:33 pm

Kristian Munkholm wrote:
Jürgen Gebhart wrote:I love the Big Bend area!

I fell in love with it as well - landscapes, wildlife, atmosphere, eclectic mix of displaced people - I could live there :)

I totaly agree!!

Jürgen Gebhart wrote:congrats on the Micrurus! (I never had the luck to find one :( )

You got Walter, I got Mike ;)

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Jürgen Gebhart

Hometown: Wiedergeltingen Bavaria

Postby Matthijs Hollanders » Sun Oct 26, 2014 6:18 pm

"spiloides" = obsoletus FWIW. I believe that split is highly unjustified, so I'd just keep it at that!

You got to see quite a nice selection for that time of year, so consider yourself well treated. :D

Next time you'll see your trash ( :o ) snake copperhead, no worries.
Matthijs Hollanders

Hometown: Wageningen

Postby Jeroen Speybroeck » Sun Oct 26, 2014 7:19 pm

Matthijs Hollanders wrote:I believe that split is highly unjustified, so I'd just keep it at that!

Evidence please (although I seem to pick up that the debate is quite ample in this case).
Jeroen Speybroeck
Site Admin

Hometown: Merelbeke

Postby Kristian Munkholm » Sun Oct 26, 2014 7:24 pm

& thanks to you all as well :)

Bobby Bok wrote:Finding that Micrurus must have been massively exciting, nice trip you had!

Of course it was great but it was one of those situations where it was almost too easy, too soon. I sound like an ungrateful cretin but I would undoubtedly have appreciated it more if I had found it on the last day rather than the first :roll:

Matthijs Hollanders wrote:You got to see quite a nice selection for that time of year, so consider yourself well treated. :D

I do :)

Though over the last week I've started to lament what I didn't find the time to search for :roll:

Matthijs Hollanders wrote:Next time you'll see your trash ( :o ) snake copperhead, no worries.

If they stay long enough for us to afford another trip I know I will :)

If not, you win some, you lose some (and before the trip it wasn't near the top of my wish list anyway)
Kristian Munkholm

Hometown: Copenhagen

Postby Bobby Bok » Mon Oct 27, 2014 3:39 pm

Kristian Munkholm wrote:& thanks to you all as well :)

Bobby Bok wrote:Finding that Micrurus must have been massively exciting, nice trip you had!

Of course it was great but it was one of those situations where it was almost too easy, too soon.

I never mind those situations :lol:
Bobby Bok

Hometown: Heemskerk

Postby Matthijs Hollanders » Mon Oct 27, 2014 6:28 pm

Jeroen Speybroeck wrote:
Matthijs Hollanders wrote:I believe that split is highly unjustified, so I'd just keep it at that!

Evidence please (although I seem to pick up that the debate is quite ample in this case).

Ha, I don't have any evidence per se and my input is anecdotal at best. I just don't see any geographic barriers between the different "species", which form intergrades throughout the (continuous) range. Furthermore, one thing that amused me is that each new species has their own black "morph" (aka black rat snake). It's been a while since I read the paper so I can't comment on their analysis... But common sense doesn't really allow them to be species to me
Matthijs Hollanders

Hometown: Wageningen

Postby Kristian Munkholm » Mon Oct 27, 2014 7:13 pm

Kristian Munkholm wrote:
Jeroen Speybroeck wrote:...I have some doubt about your whiptail IDs, but you'll hopefully get more input at FHF)...

...In regards to whiptail ID's, marmoratus I feel comfortable about, the other two were provided - from more people - on FHF. I actually thought both were tessellatus.

At first, getting an unexpected new species for the list, ID'ed by two guys I trusted, I was just happy and didn't ask any more questions.

The septemvittata ID never sat quite right with me, though, so eventually I went back and asked again. Turned out the second guy had just copied what the first guy had said and the first guy acknowledged his mistake. A third guy offered confirmation as well. Your doubts were well founded and my initial tentative ID was correct. It is just another tessellata.

I have corrected my report accordingly.

Bobby Bok wrote:
Kristian Munkholm wrote:

Of course it was great but it was one of those situations where it was almost too easy, too soon

I never mind those situations :lol:

I have a dubious the talent for sounding as if I complain about everything, even my good luck.

I don't :D
Kristian Munkholm

Hometown: Copenhagen

Previous

Return to Herping in the rest of the world