Southern Africa (part 2 is up)

For your reports/images, made outside Europe and the "Mediterranean" countries. Not to be too narrow minded and limited to our European/Mediterranean herps.

Re: Southern Africa (part 2 is up)

Postby Martti Niskanen » Sat Dec 27, 2014 3:35 pm

Andre Schmid wrote:Great ! Thanks for sharing !

Cheers. You better enjoy it. Just paid my Visa bill and the discussions with the insurance company will probs start after new year. That'll be fun.

(In all seriousness, meh and gained a decent anecdote).

Glad you enjoyed.
Martti Niskanen

Hometown: Jyvaskyla

Postby Bastien Comment » Sat Dec 27, 2014 9:02 pm

Nice report indeed, thanks for sharing Martti. And meeting Johan Marais must have been quite great. As you can imagine, he has been my trip companion when I was in Namibia as I've obviously travelled with his great book "A complete guide to the snakes of Southern Africa" ;)
Bastien Comment

Hometown: Lausanne

Postby Martti Niskanen » Mon Dec 29, 2014 5:35 pm

Robin Duborget wrote:A lot of stunning species, especially the geckos ! Thanks for the sharing !
IsTomopterna cryptotis related to european spadefoots ?

Cheers. Glad you like the posts. I have no great knowledge of species relatedness, but considering how far the species' distribution is from Europe, I'm calling simple convergence. The distribution of the species recognised as of now is wide and patchy and the systematics of the species seems to be a big mess and it probably consists of several cryptic species.

Bastien Comment wrote:Nice report indeed, thanks for sharing Martti. And meeting Johan Marais must have been quite great. As you can imagine, he has been my trip companion when I was in Namibia as I've obviously travelled with his great book "A complete guide to the snakes of Southern Africa" ;)

Cheers, and glad you liked the post. Johan is a nice guy with extensive knowledge, but when given a choice between him and Bill Branch, Aaron Bauer, Harry W Greene, Graham Alexander etc., I know which way I'm going. Not meaning that in a negative way at all, but the herp gods work on a completely different level.
Johan gave an interesting talk on snake bite in SA and has a new book out on the subject. Unfortunately he didn't have any copies with him. Wouldn't have minded a signed copy.
Martti Niskanen

Postby Pierre-Yves Vaucher » Thu Jan 01, 2015 3:45 am

very very great report, thanks a lot !
Pierre-Yves Vaucher

Postby GertJan Verspui » Fri Jan 02, 2015 8:39 am

Thanks Martti! What a cool trip you did and what a nightmare to get your gear stolen...loved all the animals!

Africa, will visit it in future again!!!
Amphibian & Reptile Adventures http://www.gertjanverspui.com
Instagram: @gj.verspui_wildlife
Facebook: Gerrit Jan Verspui
GertJan Verspui

Hometown: Giessenburg

Postby Martti Niskanen » Fri Jan 02, 2015 6:15 pm

GertJan Verspui wrote:Thanks Martti! What a cool trip you did and what a nightmare to get your gear stolen...loved all the animals!
Africa, will visit it in future again!!!

Cheers. Glad you like the post. After visiting Tanzania, SA and Namibia; I've certainly got the Africa-bug. I've been more of an Asia guy, but that has certainly changed.
One can get robbed and gear can get nicked anywhere. I've travelled well and extensively and the worst thing before this was very, very nearly having my stuff stolen from my hut in Thailand (got there just as they were breaking the window) and having my mobile stolen (in KL, Malaysia of all places), so if was bound to happen sooner or later. My South African colleagues were sorry and ashamed as SA obviously has a reputation with this sort of thing, but hey, win some and lose some, and I won't hold it against SA and will definitely visit again. For some incredible stroke of luck they didn't get my passport. If it would have been taken, that would have been my 17 day trip done on the second day, followed by some lovely African bureaucracy.

Already a bit of grief with the insurance company as they're completely ignoring me. Still kind of holiday season, so hopefully it's just that. The thing is that my glasses went with the rest of it. I can function perfectly well without them, but kinda need them for reading, so wouldn't mind them replaced. I've listed and sent them a list of the stuff stolen with prices for equivalent gear. Haven't calculated the total, but probably looking at around 3500-4000€.
Martti Niskanen

Postby GertJan Verspui » Fri Jan 02, 2015 6:35 pm

Good luck on the insurance company, hope you get a big part back, now I even more try to keep my shit with me at all times, even in stripclubs :lol:
Amphibian & Reptile Adventures http://www.gertjanverspui.com
Instagram: @gj.verspui_wildlife
Facebook: Gerrit Jan Verspui
GertJan Verspui

Hometown: Giessenburg

Previous

Return to Herping in the rest of the world