More Mambas from KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa

For your reports/images, made outside Europe and the "Mediterranean" countries. Not to be too narrow minded and limited to our European/Mediterranean herps.

More Mambas from KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa

Postby Nick Evans » Thu Apr 02, 2015 4:29 pm

The month of March was fairly busy for me in terms of call outs for Mambas. I have already posted about the one Black Mamba in a storeroom, here are a few more.

At the beginning of March, I was called by some people who saw a large green snake go into their car. I thought t was too inland for Green Mambas as they are a very coastal species. I was wrong!

When I arrived, I opened the bonnet of the car, and saw the head of a Green Mamba near the bottom. It reversed further under the car.

I climbed underneath. As I peeped around one of the parts of the car, I saw a blue gaping mouth! It was not very welcoming.
He was happily sitting on the gearbox.

After about 45 minutes of trying to coax the snake out, I finally got him out!

Green Mamba (Dendroaspis angusticeps). A beautiful animal!

I was then called out to a township about 40 minutes from Durban. I was told that there was a snake inside of a car! The owner of the old unused car said the snake was about 50-60cm, with a yellow belly. I thought that it was just a harmless Brown Water Snake. As soon as I opened the drivers door, I got a strong curry/peppery smell! The unmistakeable smell of a Black Mamba! I then heard it moving, after poking my hook stick under the seats. I could hear that it was big! Certainly not 50-60cm! The noise then stopped, and I couldn't see anything.

This is the car

I opened the passengers door, still couldn't find anything. I started slapping the dashboard, and I then saw the gaping mouth of a Black Mamba through a gap by the aircon vent! It was in the dashboard! I saw it's tail hanging down and got hold of it. It moved around and went further in. Then it's head popped out by the cutch pedal. After pushing and pulling, I discovered it was stuck! I started taking apart the dashboard and saw where it had gotten stuck. It was also in the process of shedding.

There's the head sticking out by where the gauges are.

I tried getting it out for about an hour, then it eventually broke free! I was sitting in the passengers seat at the time, I jumped out very quickly! I managed to pull it out safely and secure it. The locals helped me measure it. They were very interested, after seeing that it's not as vicious as made out to be, which was so great to see! It was a female of 2,3 meters.

Black Mamba (Dendroaspis polylepis). Took these when releasing her into a safe place. I had kept her over a few days until she shed properly, drank and fully recovered. What a gorgeous animal!

Here's a link to a video of the capture:
https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=1404665869848820

I was then called out to a home close to Durban a few days after. A women had called her neighbours young boys to remove a 'harmless Spotted Bush Snake'. Luckily, these were intelligent kids, and identified the snake as a young Black Mamba! When I arrived it was hiding behind a closed door. I couldn't believe how small it was! Baby Black Mambas are still quite big as far as baby snakes go, but it's unusual to come across them. Cute little guy!

Juvenile Black Mamba (Dendroaspis polylepis)

Black Mambas are my absolute favourite! They are so big, strong and intelligent! Awe-inspiring creatures!
Nick Evans

Hometown: Durban

Re: More Mambas from KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa

Postby Kevin Esser » Thu Apr 02, 2015 6:29 pm

My deepest respect for your extraordinary work!
That's just awesome.

By the way: Really great shot of the released Green Mamba in the bush!
Kevin Esser

Hometown: Wiesbaden

Re: More Mambas from KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa

Postby Bastien Comment » Thu Apr 09, 2015 9:22 pm

Fantastic pictures of beautiful animals! Big congrats and don't hesitate to keep on posting more pictures ;)
Bastien Comment

Hometown: Lausanne

Return to Herping in the rest of the world