Some snakes from KwaZulu-Natal, SOUTH AFRICA

For your reports/images, made outside Europe and the "Mediterranean" countries. Not to be too narrow minded and limited to our European/Mediterranean herps.

Re: Some snakes from KwaZulu-Natal, SOUTH AFRICA

Postby Nick Evans » Thu Jul 02, 2015 10:57 am

Ruggero, of course! Come visit! There are quite a few big shopping malls, she can go there while we catch snakes!

Berislav, na, mamba venom doesn't kill you that quickly. I know of two cases where the patients lasted hours. One guy was far in the bush, got bitten, walked all the way back to his car, and had a longish drive to help. One man was doing a canoe race here in Durban. Stepped off on the river bank and got bitten in the reeds. I believe he also lasted quite a while and lost consciousness eventually, and was touch and go, but he pulled through.

I personally haven't heard of anyone dying in minutes. It all depends how much venom is injected obviously. But no matter what, if you're bitten within an hours drive of a decent hospital, I reckon you should definitely survive.
Nick Evans

Hometown: Durban

Re: Some snakes from KwaZulu-Natal, SOUTH AFRICA

Postby Berislav Horvatic » Thu Jul 02, 2015 9:33 pm

Nick Evans wrote:I personally haven't heard of anyone dying in minutes. It all depends how much venom is injected obviously. But
no matter what, if you're bitten within an hours drive of a decent hospital, I reckon you should definitely survive.

That's actually good news - not quite widespread in the literature... And that's the reason why I asked you about
your personal opinion, based on local experiences, not the relata refero literature data. Thanks. So far, no more
questions from the "nitpicking Bero", just send us new reports, as you go on and survive. Fingers crossed!
Berislav Horvatic

Hometown: Zagreb

Previous

Return to Herping in the rest of the world