Tripreport Malawi & Zambia 2015

For your reports/images, made outside Europe and the "Mediterranean" countries. Not to be too narrow minded and limited to our European/Mediterranean herps.

Re: Did I mention I love chameleons?

Postby Bobby Bok » Thu Aug 20, 2015 6:38 pm

Cheers guys!

Peter Oefinger wrote:Pairs of Chameleons...interesting. Do they live in pairs? I think the European Chameleons do not?

They don't really live in pairs even tough that is known from some Brookesia and other Rhampholeon species. The couples we found were probably males mate guarding females and that was why we found them close together. In European chameleons this also occurs, I believe Benny has some great pictures of that.

Ronald Zimmerman wrote:As long as you don't ask for specific species I don't know who you mean by expert ;)

I actually meant Jorg...
Bobby Bok

Hometown: Heemskerk

Re: Did I mention I love chameleons?

Postby Niklas Ban » Sun Aug 23, 2015 2:32 pm

NIce nice nice ! Seems that you had a great time ;)
Niklas Ban

Hometown: Duesseldorf

Re: Tripreport Malawi & Zambia 2015

Postby Bobby Bok » Sun Aug 30, 2015 6:51 pm

The report is online under: http://www.herpsafari.nl/tripreports-ou ... wi-zambia/
Also many excellent mammal and bird pictures from my amigos Jasper and Ronald!

Enjoy!
Bobby Bok

Postby Ronald Zimmerman » Sun Aug 30, 2015 7:06 pm

My first part of my trip to Malawi and Zambia is also online. It is about the very interesting herping location Mount Mulanje. It was the dry season and very hard to herp. The chameleons were there, so that was great! :D As you might notice, Bobby and I were there together. ;)
My next episodes will be about Zomba Plateau, Liwonde NP, Cape McClear, Ntchisi, and South Luangwa (Zambia). I will add those reports later to this topic. :)

You can read the full report about Mulanje here:
http://ronaldzimmerman.nl/malawi-2015-mount-mulanje/

Herald Snake (Crotaphopeltis hotamboeia)

Meller's Chameleon (Trioceros melleri)

Flap-necked Chameleon (Chamaeleo dilepis)

Common Reed Frog (Hyperolius viridiflavus)

Angola Green Snake (Philothamnus angolensis)

Mitchell's flat lizard (Platysaurus mitchelli)

Spotted Reed Frog (Hyperolius substriatus)

Yellow-spotted Tree Frog (Leptopelis flavomaculatus)

Mulanje Pygmy Chameleon (Rhampholeon platyceps)

Mulanje Chameleon (Nadzikambia mlanjensis)

I hope you like it! :D
Feel free to follow/Like my Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/ronaldzimmerman.nl/
Ronald Zimmerman

Hometown: Haarlem

Postby Jeroen Speybroeck » Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:43 am

Nice one, boys! Some of those frogs are as nice as the chameleons...
Jeroen Speybroeck
Site Admin

Hometown: Merelbeke

Postby Gabriel Martínez » Tue Sep 01, 2015 1:37 pm

What a trip!!! Congrats Bobby and Ronald. The Hemirhagerrhis is my favourite reptile in your trip, also the always impressive Philotamnus and the chamaleons. Ronald mammal photos are great! Leopards are not easy to be photographed I guess (at least in South Africa).

Why you consider that the house snake is Boadon fuliginosus and not Boaedon capensis?
Gabriel Martínez

Hometown: Madrid

Postby Frédéric Seyffarth » Tue Sep 01, 2015 5:42 pm

Great report, nice pics!
Just to say, the spider isn't a Lycosa sp, but a Theraphosidae species. Something like Pterinochilus sp. or Harpactira sp.
Regards :D
Fred
Frédéric Seyffarth

Hometown: Husseren-Wesserling

Postby Bobby Bok » Wed Sep 02, 2015 9:04 am

Thanks guys!

Jeroen Speybroeck wrote:Nice one, boys! Some of those frogs are as nice as the chameleons...

They are! These Hyperolius look like someone just painted them...

Gabriel Martínez wrote:What a trip!!! Congrats Bobby and Ronald. The Hemirhagerrhis is my favourite reptile in your trip, also the always impressive Philotamnus and the chamaleons. Ronald mammal photos are great! Leopards are not easy to be photographed I guess (at least in South Africa).

Why you consider that the house snake is Boadon fuliginosus and not Boaedon capensis?

That was also my favourite snake but the title to favourite reptile goes of course to Trioceros melleri ;) Hemirhagerrhis is closely related to Malpolon, something which you wouldn't think at first glance!

B. capensis is more a southern African fauna element and B. fuliginosus is widely ranging throughout the rest of Africa. Werner Conradie (SA species expert) confirmed that the snake I photographed is the latter species.

Leopards are ususally hard but if you ever find yourself in Zambia - go to South Luangwa. We had on three occasions leopard sightings and on one of those occasions we saw three at a time! So a total of five leopards in four days, really amazing!
Bobby Bok

Postby Ronald Zimmerman » Wed Sep 02, 2015 9:05 pm

Jeroen Speybroeck wrote:Nice one, boys! Some of those frogs are as nice as the chameleons...

Thanks! I did not expect to see many frogs, but the frogs we did see were very nice!

Gabriel Martínez wrote:What a trip!!! Congrats Bobby and Ronald. The Hemirhagerrhis is my favourite reptile in your trip, also the always impressive Philotamnus and the chamaleons. Ronald mammal photos are great! Leopards are not easy to be photographed I guess (at least in South Africa).

Thanks! :D As Bobby mentioned, the density of Leopards in South Luangwa is very high. I mean four of them where during daytime! Even then, a photo is not easy. There are a lot of shrubs and bushes, tall grass, and sometimes they are too close to the vehicle (I have a 300mm prime lens) or in the shadow. :)
I think my Liwonde NP report will be done next week. And then I have to work on the South Luangwa report. There are more mammals to come. :D

Frédéric Seyffarth wrote:Great report, nice pics!
Just to say, the spider isn't a Lycosa sp, but a Theraphosidae species. Something like Pterinochilus sp. or Harpactira sp.
Regards :D
Fred

I have to look into it. Thanks! :D
Feel free to follow/Like my Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/ronaldzimmerman.nl/
Ronald Zimmerman

Hometown: Haarlem

Postby Pablo Deschepper » Thu Sep 03, 2015 3:11 pm

Stunning pictures and lovely species. I love the blue tongue of Philothamnus, makes me think of Gonyosoma oxycephalum :)
Pablo Deschepper

Hometown: Erps

PreviousNext

Return to Herping in the rest of the world