Trip report Costa Rica

For your reports/images, made outside Europe and the "Mediterranean" countries. Not to be too narrow minded and limited to our European/Mediterranean herps.

Re: Trip report Costa Rica

Postby Matthijs Hollanders » Sun Sep 13, 2015 7:13 pm

Do you have 72hrs in a day? Ridiculous trip, especially considering there's family... They say 2 snakes per night is good in the jungle.

By the way, up until about 15 years ago it was normal to find 20 frog species per night in Monteverde. I went on a guided tour and found one frog.
Matthijs Hollanders

Hometown: Wageningen

Postby Gabriel Martínez » Mon Sep 14, 2015 11:37 am

Wow GertJan, very nice trip. Costa Rica is a wished place for almost all herpetologist, specially now that we know that is possible to make a good herp trip single, with wife and even with kids!

If I would make the same trip than you, I would only expend more time in Everglades for Agkistrodon! But being the circunstances of your visit of the Everglades, I am surprised that you found so many things! Pythons are a strong trouble there...

Cheers and congrats!!
Gabriel Martínez

Hometown: Madrid

Postby Berislav Horvatic » Mon Sep 14, 2015 1:01 pm

Joining in with some others, my sincere congrats regarding the family that "allowed" (?) you all that. Lucky you indeed...
Berislav Horvatic

Hometown: Zagreb

Postby Jeroen Speybroeck » Mon Sep 14, 2015 3:45 pm

Gabriel Martínez wrote:But being the circunstances of your visit of the Everglades, I am surprised that you found so many things!

I found it interesting to compare with what I found with also only a single night.
http://www.hylawerkgroep.be/jeroen/index.php?id=79 (scroll to the end and then back up until July 30th)
What moon phase did you have, GJ?

Gabriel Martínez wrote:I would only expend more time in Everglades for Agkistrodon!

It's kind of a mystery how GJ did not get one; very common.

But who needs the Everglades if you can have all that followed for GJ? ;)
Jeroen Speybroeck
Site Admin

Hometown: Merelbeke

Postby GertJan Verspui » Mon Sep 14, 2015 4:43 pm

Thanks guys, Gabri, yes I was really hoping for Agkistrodon and there were people who saw 2 that night, but I did not unfortunately, I wish I had some more time there, it was sort of a race to flamingo and back while I was constantly almost falling asleep.

Mathijs, I really had high hopes for amphibians in Monteverde and I met the herpetologist there who is there for more then 20 years, he also told a story like that, Boa constrictors were already found in this place, so in a couple of years you will also find eyelash vipers there.

Robin, I had no locations at all, everything except CRARC was a wild guess, I have no idea where Atelopus could be found.

Jeroen, moon state was close to 'new moon', but can't remember which way it was going. Some rain might help also.. And your eastern family trip looks great and gave me some future ideas ;)
Amphibian & Reptile Adventures http://www.gertjanverspui.com
Instagram: @gj.verspui_wildlife
Facebook: Gerrit Jan Verspui
GertJan Verspui

Hometown: Giessenburg

Postby Bobby Bok » Mon Sep 14, 2015 7:14 pm

Simply amazing amigo! Finally took the time to read your report and check out your pictures into more detail (and not on an Iphone) and have little more to add than what everybody else already stated ;)
Bobby Bok

Hometown: Heemskerk

Postby Gabriel Martínez » Mon Sep 14, 2015 10:03 pm

Jeroen Speybroeck wrote:I found it interesting to compare with what I found with also only a single night.
http://www.hylawerkgroep.be/jeroen/index.php?id=79 (scroll to the end and then back up until July 30th)
What moon phase did you have, GJ?

Yes, same place, aprox same part of the year and different activity. New world is not so different to the old world :)
Gabriel Martínez

Hometown: Madrid

Postby Paul Lambourne » Tue Sep 15, 2015 8:54 am

Gert Jan

An outstanding report, I doubt will be bettered this year.. Fantastic pictures.. Obviously love the vipers, but the dartfrogs and glass frogs are amazing.

You have no doubt inspired many of us to go to Costa Rica ..
Paul Lambourne

Hometown: London

Postby Jeroen Speybroeck » Tue Sep 15, 2015 9:27 am

GertJan Verspui wrote:Boa constrictors were already found in this place, so in a couple of years you will also find eyelash vipers there.

Don't get it, can you explain?
Jeroen Speybroeck
Site Admin

Hometown: Merelbeke

Postby Pablo Deschepper » Tue Sep 15, 2015 10:21 am

O man, this is getting my hopes up for my trip to Costa rica in the end of this year. What a nice list, considering this was a family trip, maybe I should ask my family to join me! Great pictures!
Pablo Deschepper

Hometown: Erps

PreviousNext

Return to Herping in the rest of the world