Back to Madagascar (February 2015)

For your reports/images, made outside Europe and the "Mediterranean" countries. Not to be too narrow minded and limited to our European/Mediterranean herps.

Re: Back to Madagascar (February 2015)

Postby Yannick Francioli » Tue Sep 29, 2015 9:29 pm

Hi ! thanks for all your comments :)

So our trip last two weeks, I went there with four of my friends that are not as crazy as me, so it wasn't a herping-only trip, we also went sightseeing, snorkling in Nosy Be... so I would say that we did only 7 days of full herping.
I can only confirm what Bastien said, this island is crowded with reptiles, it's ridiculously easy to see that many species. It's very easy to herp, the best thing is to go in parcs and reserve, and there you can freely go around, even leave the paths if you want.
I organised this trip with a driver-guide, it's the best thing to do I think, as for safety issue, going with a good local guide who knows where are the danger is the best (even if Madagascar is pretty safe once out of the big cities). He also help to communicate with the locals in the villages, with the parcs guide etc... He rented a big 4x4 and took us anywhere we wanted.
The struggle with epidemics is located in the big cities, once you're out in the parcs there's no problem. Crime is present, but with a good guide who knows where not to go there's absolutely no risk.

So I highly recommend you to go there ! if you want more advice or the contact for my guide (He mainly speaks french, also english but not very well) I'll happily help you ;)
Yannick Francioli

Hometown: 1095 Lutry

Postby Bobby Bok » Wed Sep 30, 2015 7:52 am

Wow, that sounds very interesting. I wouldn't want to do one of these organized tours... May I ask how much you paid for the entire trip (everything together)?
Bobby Bok

Hometown: Heemskerk

Postby Yannick Francioli » Wed Sep 30, 2015 10:00 am

The ticket was around 1200 USD, then in Mada each of us spent approximately 950 USD for two weeks. We were five so some cost were divided of course, but still traveling in mada is very cheap.
Yannick Francioli

Hometown: 1095 Lutry

Postby Jürgen Gebhart » Wed Sep 30, 2015 5:49 pm

I love the Uroplatus!
The coolest gecko`s in the World!

Thanks for sharing!
Jürgen Gebhart

Hometown: Wiedergeltingen Bavaria

Postby Laura Bok » Wed Sep 30, 2015 9:12 pm

Stunning pictures from animals which are not so often seen (on this forum). I love the camouflage-pics!
Thanks for sharing your report as well as the additional information about traveling and herping on Madagascar.
Cheers!
Laura Bok

Hometown: Munich

Postby Bobby Bok » Thu Oct 01, 2015 10:35 am

Yannick Francioli wrote:The ticket was around 1200 USD, then in Mada each of us spent approximately 950 USD for two weeks. We were five so some cost were divided of course, but still traveling in mada is very cheap.

!!! Thanks for the info Yannick, I will get back to you on this one day (hopefully soon!) ;)
Bobby Bok

Hometown: Heemskerk

Postby Tim Leerschool » Thu Oct 01, 2015 7:18 pm

Bobby Bok wrote:
Yannick Francioli wrote:The ticket was around 1200 USD, then in Mada each of us spent approximately 950 USD for two weeks. We were five so some cost were divided of course, but still traveling in mada is very cheap.

!!! Thanks for the info Yannick, I will get back to you on this one day (hopefully soon!) ;)

Same here Yannick ;) Thanks for the info!
Tim Leerschool

Hometown: Limburg

Postby Aleksandar Simovic » Mon Oct 05, 2015 4:27 pm

All that colours :shock: amazing finds!
Aleksandar Simovic

Hometown: Belgrade

Previous

Return to Herping in the rest of the world