In search of New Zealand's endemic frogs

For your reports/images, made outside Europe and the "Mediterranean" countries. Not to be too narrow minded and limited to our European/Mediterranean herps.

Re: In search of New Zealand's endemic frogs

Postby GertJan Verspui » Sat Nov 21, 2015 10:14 am

Very cool to see that pretty rainforest again, for sure one of the most beautiful places I know.

Thanks!
Amphibian & Reptile Adventures http://www.gertjanverspui.com
Instagram: @gj.verspui_wildlife
Facebook: Gerrit Jan Verspui
GertJan Verspui

Hometown: Giessenburg

Postby Thor Hakonsen » Sun Nov 22, 2015 9:54 am

Great report!

But it hits me, you have to very much in to frogs when you go to NZ to look for small brown frogs, and not Naultinus-geckos :)
Thor Hakonsen

Hometown: Neskollen

Postby Maarten Gilbert » Sun Nov 22, 2015 8:38 pm

Thanks for your comments!
Thor Hakonsen wrote:But it hits me, you have to very much in to frogs when you go to NZ to look for small brown frogs, and not Naultinus-geckos

These frogs may lack the spectacular appearance of the Naultinus species, but I think their evolutionary distinctiveness and fascinating biology definitely make up for that. Surely I kept my eyes open for these geckos, but due to their camouflage, cryptic lifestyle and low densities these animals are very hard to find in the extensive kanuka/manuka shrublands. During all my visits to NZ I've only seen them in captivity, such as this Naultinus punctatus from the Karori sanctuary.

P1080645.JPG
Maarten Gilbert

Hometown: Driebergen

Previous

Return to Herping in the rest of the world