Kazakhstan/Kyrgyzstan ID Questions

For your reports/images, made outside Europe and the "Mediterranean" countries. Not to be too narrow minded and limited to our European/Mediterranean herps.

Kazakhstan/Kyrgyzstan ID Questions

Postby Gerald Ochsenhofer » Thu Dec 03, 2015 9:05 pm

This spring in march/april I had the chance to join an excursion to Kazakhstan and Kyrgyzstan for three weeks. Unfortunately for herpetology-related stuff we had an onset of winter par excellance. But -- it was absolutely amazing to experience a trip and weatherconditions like this:
DSCN3853.jpg

Besides herpetology wasn't the main goal, more to get an overall impression of nature, country and people, and share it with lots of cool participants.

Full "report" can be found there (which is i think more interesting than the animals only; click on "me" should do it):
https://thxalot.net/v2/index.php/de/toc ... tan-2015-1
https://thxalot.net/v2/index.php/de/toc ... tan-2015-2
https://thxalot.net/v2/index.php/de/toc ... tan-2015-3

And now for the questions/asked confirmations; unfortunately there was usually only a small amount of time for photgraphing, so the pictures were mostly clicked for quick documentary reason:
Eremias_velox_cf_AK.JPG
Eremias velox, vicinity of the "singing dunes", Altyn Emel NP SE Kaz.

DSC_7380.jpg
E. velox juvenile, Altyn Emel NP SE Kaz., close to the "singing dunes".

Phrynocephalus_helioscopus_cf_AK.JPG
Phrynocephalus helioscopus, vicinity of the "singing dunes", Altyn Emel NP SE Kaz.

Phrynocephalus_sp_AK.JPG
Phrynocephalus sp. ?, vicinity of Aktau, Altyn Emel NP, SE Kaz.

DSC_7505.jpg
Phrynocephalus sp.? Vicinity of Aktau, Altyn Emel NP, SE Kaz.

Phrynocephalus_helioscopus_cf_AK (2).JPG
Phrynocephalus helioscopus, vicinity of the "singing dunes", Altyn Emel NP SE Kaz.

And the hightlights (except for the grammica all pics in Kyrgyzstan, was warmer then again) :-)
DSC_8086.jpg
Elaphe dione
DSC_8086.jpg (110.08 KiB) Viewed 6381 times

DSC_7420.jpg
Eremias grammica
DSC_7420.jpg (126.75 KiB) Viewed 6381 times

DSC_8306.jpg
Vipera renardi
DSC_8306.jpg (198.29 KiB) Viewed 6381 times

DSC_8172.jpg
Eremias arguta
DSC_8172.jpg (116.36 KiB) Viewed 6381 times

Pics partially (c) A. Klamm

Can anyone plz confirm or determine the upper 6 animals (and correct everything else if neccessary); or provide me with contacts?
thx
Gerald

PS: That is something you really don't expect somewhere in the nowhere of middle-asia (..never saw it before... and never again afterwards)
DSCN3790.jpg
sporadic news -> http://thxalot.net/v2/
Gerald Ochsenhofer

Hometown: Vienna

Re: Kazakhstan/Kyrgyzstan ID Questions

Postby Martti Niskanen » Thu Dec 03, 2015 9:57 pm

No input on your IDs, but looks like a great trip. Some beautiful countries and the "-stans" are certainly a future destination. Just need to learn a bit of Russian first.

Cheers for posting.
Martti Niskanen

Hometown: Jyvaskyla

Postby Jeroen Speybroeck » Thu Dec 03, 2015 10:56 pm

Martti Niskanen wrote:No input on your IDs, but looks like a great trip.

Agreed!
Jeroen Speybroeck
Site Admin

Hometown: Merelbeke

Postby Gerald Ochsenhofer » Tue Dec 08, 2015 7:37 pm

Just to complete the list -- the questionmarks are most likely Phrynocephalus guttatus (thanks to Thomas Bader)

Martti Niskanen wrote:Just need to learn a bit of Russian first.

..indeed, either a guide or russian are i think required; our group was well equipped with both (including scientists) speaking all the languages :-)
Gerald Ochsenhofer

Postby Bobby Bok » Tue Dec 08, 2015 9:19 pm

That looks like a very special trip in a region rarely visited by herpers. The Elaphe dione is by far my favourite, what a stunningly beautiful snake!
Bobby Bok

Hometown: Heemskerk

Postby Peter Oefinger » Wed Dec 09, 2015 9:51 am

Great Destination & cool herps, despite the cold weather. Would be interesting to go there later in the year.
Thanks for posting!
Peter Oefinger

Hometown: Duesseldorf

Postby Gerald Ochsenhofer » Thu Dec 10, 2015 8:32 pm

Actually the time of the year wouldn't be that bad (i think last year they had at the same time Pseudotrapelus in mating colors), at the first day temperature was about +20°C. The late onset of winter was what i learned something really unusual. Even more amazing to see, what the animals of those continental steppes are capable of, in terms of quick reaction to warming. It's really something surprising, after quite some minus degrees in the night and hard frost the days before, to see more than one Phrynocephalus outside, at 6°C, capable of running maybe 20 cm a the most.

... regarding the first statement -- for sure, one month later would be much better ;-)
Gerald Ochsenhofer

Postby Jeroen Speybroeck » Thu Dec 10, 2015 8:38 pm

Gerald Ochsenhofer wrote:The late onset of winter was what i learned something really unusual. Even more amazing to see, what the animals of those continental steppes are capable of, in terms of quick reaction to warming. It's really something surprising, after quite some minus degrees in the night and hard frost the days before, to see more than one Phrynocephalus outside, at 6°C, capable of running maybe 20 cm a the most.

Great stuff!
Jeroen Speybroeck
Site Admin

Hometown: Merelbeke

Return to Herping in the rest of the world