Another week in Sarawak, Borneo

For your reports/images, made outside Europe and the "Mediterranean" countries. Not to be too narrow minded and limited to our European/Mediterranean herps.

Another week in Sarawak, Borneo

Postby Neil Rowntree » Sat Dec 05, 2015 6:40 pm

Hi folks,
I decided to return to Sarawak for a week at the end of November - managed to get a few interesting creatures plus I escaped at least some of the UK winter.
DSCF4036a - Rhacophorus pardalis.JPG
Rhacophorous pardalis

DSCF4067a - Boiga jaspidea.JPG
Boiga jaspidea

DSCF4250a - Rhacophorus nigropalmatus.JPG
Rhacophorous nigropalmatus

DSCF4225a.JPG
Aplopeltura boa

Full report is here - http://northumberlandexplorer.weebly.co ... -2015.html

Neil
http://northumberlandexplorer.weebly.com/
Neil Rowntree

Hometown: Newcastle

Re: Another week in Sarawak, Borneo

Postby Jeroen Speybroeck » Sat Dec 05, 2015 8:52 pm

Aha, Kurt and his nigropalmatus spot, terrific! And then Aplopeltura, such a weird snake...
Jeroen Speybroeck
Site Admin

Hometown: Merelbeke

Postby Frédéric Seyffarth » Sat Dec 05, 2015 9:40 pm

The Boiga jaspidea is a real jewel!..and that Ptyas looks like ...a Ptyas ;-) Good defensive behaviour as i love...
Thanks a lot for sharing, Kubah is a great place, easy to access and often rewarding site.
Frédéric Seyffarth

Hometown: Husseren-Wesserling

Postby Neil Rowntree » Sat Dec 05, 2015 9:45 pm

Jeroen Speybroeck wrote:Aha, Kurt and his nigropalmatus spot, terrific! And then Aplopeltura, such a weird snake...

I checked one of your posts the other day - I thought your nigropalmatus stuff looked familiar!
Don't suppose you managed a B.dendrophila at that place? Kurt told me they were about but as I'm on an ice cold streak when it comes to dendros I had no luck.

Was staring right at the Aplopeltura for a good 30 seconds wondering how a bit of tree could look so much like a snake...

Frédéric Seyffarth wrote:The Boiga jaspidea is a real jewel!

Yeah an absolute stunner. So many different colours and shades when you get a good close-up.
Neil Rowntree

Postby Frédéric Seyffarth » Sat Dec 05, 2015 10:01 pm

Kurt told me they were about but as I'm on an ice cold streak when it comes to dendros I had no luck.

Be patient, i am crazy about Boiga dendrophila, and made three travels in South-Asia before get one.
Even if people told me they were really abundants, i had hard times to find some...

Good luck ;)
Frédéric Seyffarth

Hometown: Husseren-Wesserling

Postby Jeroen Speybroeck » Sat Dec 05, 2015 11:50 pm

Neil Rowntree wrote:Don't suppose you managed a B.dendrophila at that place?

No, we found one near Tasik Chini. I've got this thing for species that are supposedly common or even "boring", but in fact are quite attractive.

(but then again, it's black and yellow so maybe not that surprising ;) )
Jeroen Speybroeck
Site Admin

Postby Peter Engelen » Sun Dec 06, 2015 1:04 pm

Be patient, i am crazy about Boiga dendrophila, and made three travels in South-Asia before get one.
Even if people told me they were really abundants, i had hard times to find some...

I saw 3 alive on 4 trips in Malaysia. In 3 different places ( Jungle, Pedi field and Palmoil). It was my first snake I saw in Malaysia. But really abundant...? Maybe I search on the wrong places.
Peter Engelen

Hometown: Dilsen-Stokkem

Postby Ruggero M. » Sun Dec 06, 2015 4:48 pm

Peter Engelen wrote:Be patient, i am crazy about Boiga dendrophila, and made three travels in South-Asia before get one.

I saw 3 alive on 4 trips in Malaysia. In 3 different places ( Jungle, Pedi field and Palmoil). It was my first snake I saw in Malaysia. But really abundant...? Maybe I search on the wrong places.

The best way to find dendrophila is to have a small boat, and to travel along the jungle in the water, looking at bushes and tree branches suspended over water.
We found many specimens of this species in Taman Negara, both along the main river, and along a wonderful secondary smaller river which ended not far from our lodge. The snakes we found were almost exclusively the dendrophila (we spotted also a huge specimen, which unfortunately fell down in the water) and the baby retics.

Here an about 250 cm long specimen from Tioman Island.
250.jpg
Pulau Tioman
250.jpg (220.17 KiB) Viewed 6233 times
Ruggero M.

Hometown: Pavia

Postby Jeroen Speybroeck » Sun Dec 06, 2015 6:24 pm

Peter Engelen wrote:I saw 3 alive on 4 trips in Malaysia. In 3 different places ( Jungle, Pedi field and Palmoil). It was my first snake I saw in Malaysia. But really abundant...? Maybe I search on the wrong places.

Most likely not, Peter, although you said yourself that before 2015 your finds of so-called trash species were surprisingly limited (e.g. Ptyas catches). Because you spend more time in untrashy habitat?
Jeroen Speybroeck
Site Admin

Postby Neil Rowntree » Sun Dec 06, 2015 8:08 pm

I'm sure my time will come...Maybe if I'd had longer I would have focused on a particular area/species, but there's so many other great herps around I had to explore places where anything could turn up.

Jeroen Speybroeck wrote: I've got this thing for species that are supposedly common or even "boring", but in fact are quite attractive.

Must be the black and yellow - something in those colours can never be 'boring' surely!

Peter Engelen wrote:I saw 3 alive on 4 trips in Malaysia. In 3 different places ( Jungle, Pedi field and Palmoil). It was my first snake I saw in Malaysia. But really abundant...? Maybe I search on the wrong places.

I've been around some different habitats in my last few visits, but I think too many of my previous trips were balanced between 'holiday' and herping...

Ruggero Morimando wrote:The best way to find dendrophila is to have a small boat, and to travel along the jungle in the water, looking at bushes and tree branches suspended over water.
We found many specimens of this species in Taman Negara, both along the main river, and along a wonderful secondary smaller river which ended not far from our lodge. The snakes we found were almost exclusively the dendrophila (we spotted also a huge specimen, which unfortunately fell down in the water) and the baby retics.

Sadly last year's trip to Taman Nagara fell more into the 'holiday' category - didn't manage any river time but had a couple of fruitless night searches.
I did have some promising kayak searching in Cambodia last week around a known spot - will post that holiday report later on.
ps - think a dendro that size would have capsized me.
Neil Rowntree

Return to Herping in the rest of the world