Seychelles, May 2016

For your reports/images, made outside Europe and the "Mediterranean" countries. Not to be too narrow minded and limited to our European/Mediterranean herps.

Seychelles, May 2016

Postby Sean Cole » Sun May 22, 2016 1:11 pm

My lovely fiancée, Trudy, and I, visited the Seychelles for two weeks at the start of May 2016. This was a "romantic holiday", as Trudy is not a Herper or a birder, and while I would claim to be the latter, I would never be so bold as to claim I was any good at Herping!

However, I am always on the lookout, and knew there were some key species.

I failed to find any Caecilians, Oosioglossus or Chameleon, but did see the king of all - Ailuronyx trachygaster seen feeding on a male Coco de Mer flower in the Praslin National Park. An absolute monster!!

The pics of this came out badly because I was hand held, on 65x zoom, in half-light of the forest canopy under a dark and cloudy sky. Here is a link to a short video clip of the beast.

I will upload some pics of the other species seen when I have trimmed the file sizes, as they are all too big for this forum.

http://youtu.be/C26stYOQkO0
Sean Cole

Hometown: Kidderminster

Re: Seychelles, May 2016

Postby Bobby Bok » Sun May 22, 2016 8:52 pm

What a stunning gecko, can't wait to see these with my own eyes this summer! Looking forward of seeing more pictures of especially herps but also birds, insects and habitats.
Bobby Bok

Hometown: Heemskerk

Postby Sean Cole » Mon May 23, 2016 9:56 am

I didn't see many other species, Bobby, but will post pics when I have shrunk them to forum-accepted sizes.

As a beginner, I was having trouble with the Day Geckos and the Bronze Gecko/Skinks. I need experts to put me right as usual and point out the differences - I couldn't find a field guide that covers the Seychelles prior to my visit.

But I will send you details of the spot I saw the trachygaster, and give you some other sites and contacts for your visit.
Sean Cole

Postby Sean Cole » Mon May 23, 2016 7:49 pm

Now then, here are some photo's. Perhaps people could help me with the Day Geckos and the big one from Cousin?

giant-b-gecko-vdm-10may16.jpg
day-gecko-vdm-11may16.jpg
day-gecko-st-anne-7may16.jpg
day-gecko-praslin-8may16.jpg
day-gecko2-st-anne-7may16.jpg
Sean Cole

Return to Herping in the rest of the world