Oman 5.0

For your reports/images, made outside Europe and the "Mediterranean" countries. Not to be too narrow minded and limited to our European/Mediterranean herps.

Oman 5.0

Postby Jürgen Gebhart » Wed Nov 16, 2016 4:01 pm

Spend one more time in beautiful Oman. One Week, as a season end Trip (20.10. – 27.10.16). Don`t look for something special, made it just for relaxing and getting my mind free.
All in all I found 22 Herp Species, one of them I found the first time. Also five Chamaeleo`s (two during the night and three crossing roads) and a “few” Geckos.
Four Snakes species:
Myriopholis 5
Echis 4
Platyceps 3
Psammophis 2 (too fast to get)

Hemidactylus lemurinus
lem.jpg

Hemidactylus paucituberculatus
pa.jpg

Echis khosatzkii
echi (1).jpg

echi (2).jpg

Acanthocercus adramitanus (first time)
ac.jpg

More pics
https://www.flickr.com/photos/56611613@ ... 4404488051
Jürgen Gebhart

Hometown: Wiedergeltingen Bavaria

Re: Oman 5.0

Postby Matthijs Hollanders » Wed Nov 16, 2016 4:15 pm

Good stuff! I would love to be in Dhofar in October. Are H. lemurinus on white rocks at Mughsayl?
Matthijs Hollanders

Hometown: Wageningen

Postby Bobby Bok » Wed Nov 16, 2016 6:57 pm

Very interesting observations on those Chamaeleo arabicus! Well done on finding such a good number of them also, seems to be not the easiest cham to find...
Bobby Bok

Hometown: Heemskerk

Postby Gabriel Martínez » Thu Nov 17, 2016 4:44 pm

Again Jurgen??? I remember when I conviced you to visit Oman in ¿2013? and now you have visited that country many many times (more than Carranza! :lol: )

Nice photos. I hope to return there one day in rainy season. Atractaspis was rare species when we visited that place for first time, but I think that many individuals have been found from these times.

If I visited that place again my top 3 would be Naja, Eryx and Pseudocerastes, although I would also wish a baby Varanus than in your trip before this

Cheers Giggs!!
Gabriel Martínez

Hometown: Madrid

Postby Jürgen Gebhart » Fri Nov 18, 2016 3:24 pm

Matthijs Hollanders wrote:Good stuff! I would love to be in Dhofar in October. Are H. lemurinus on white rocks at Mughsayl?

Matthijs, in 2014 we searched one Morning and and one Evening at the white walls a long the road north of Mughsayl and found nothing.
The Place for the H. lemurinus is the Marneef Cave and Wadi Ashwaq.
Jürgen Gebhart

Postby Jürgen Gebhart » Fri Nov 18, 2016 3:25 pm

Bobby Bok wrote:Very interesting observations on those Chamaeleo arabicus! seems to be not the easiest cham to find...

Bobby, I think so too, usually you search for them in bushes and trees, but it looks like that arabicus prefer to live more at the ground.
Jürgen Gebhart

Postby Jürgen Gebhart » Fri Nov 18, 2016 3:27 pm

Gabriel Martínez wrote:Again Jurgen??? I remember when I conviced you to visit Oman in ¿2013? and now you have visited that country many many times (more than Carranza! :lol: )

Nice photos. I hope to return there one day in rainy season. Atractaspis was rare species when we visited that place for first time, but I think that many individuals have been found from these times.

If I visited that place again my top 3 would be Naja, Eryx and Pseudocerastes, although I would also wish a baby Varanus than in your trip before this

Cheers Giggs!!

Gabri, last weekend I had a PPP about Oman and I told them the story how hard it was for you to bring me into this country. :lol: :lol: :lol:

In the moment Salvi is in Oman and UAE, I expect at least two new Gecko Species! ;)

For Pseudocerastes and Eryx it is more easy if you visit the UAE.
Jürgen Gebhart

Postby Matthijs Hollanders » Fri Nov 18, 2016 3:56 pm

I doubt Pseudocerastes is easier in UAE.... So much more habitat in Oman.
Matthijs Hollanders

Hometown: Wageningen

Postby Gabriel Martínez » Fri Nov 18, 2016 6:55 pm

Yes! you have a hard head and I was a bit scary about the Oman trip because I was not 100% sure that we will find many things. When I saw you smile after finding the Bitis, I was sure that the trip was a success and you will return to that country :D

More Hemidactylus species!!??! Crazy country. That place has more Echis species than other country in the earth, but it´s indeed a gecko country. The diversity of coast-dunes-mountain-tropical areas, the price of the gasoil and the safety make Oman one of the top places for herping indeed

Yes, UAE is better for Pseudocerastes if you keep with you GertJan :lol: or you really think that the mountains of UAE are better for Pseudocerastes than the highest places of Jebel Akhdar in Oman?
Gabriel Martínez

Hometown: Madrid

Postby Peter Oefinger » Sun Nov 20, 2016 10:35 am

Uups, the Acanthocercus: I remember an angry Jürgen in 2015 :oops:
Very nice findings - and quite different from those in our joint trip...
Peter Oefinger

Hometown: Duesseldorf

Next

Return to Herping in the rest of the world