Uganda 2017

For your reports/images, made outside Europe and the "Mediterranean" countries. Not to be too narrow minded and limited to our European/Mediterranean herps.

Re: Uganda 2017

Postby Matthieu Berroneau » Tue May 09, 2017 9:13 am

Thanks everybody. Yes, herping in Uganga is a very hard work, but when you find something, it is always amazing! :lol:
Matthieu Berroneau

Hometown: Bordeaux

Postby Gabriel Martínez » Tue May 09, 2017 1:36 pm

Absolutely great Matthieu!! This is the fauna that I expected to find in Kakamega when I was thinking in a trip to Kenya. I though in Uganda the top (hispida, nasicornis and gabonica) were everywhere, so I am sad to listen that they only occur in isolated places. Toxycodrias, Dasypeltis and Philotamnus are also nice, and of course the melanoleuca. Great trip indeed, I only miss the gorillas, that are supposed to be the best experience in Uganda (maybe too expensive and touristic?!)

Congrats!! It´s normal to imagine Atheris in trees but I can´t understand how the fat nasicornis love to reach high parts of the trees (somebody already upload a photo of a nasicornis 3 meters of the ground or something like that, crazy! maybe to feed in birds)
Gabriel Martínez

Hometown: Madrid

Postby Matthieu Berroneau » Tue May 09, 2017 2:12 pm

Thanks Gabriel,
Probably gabonica are more common, but nasicornis and atheris seem to be only in natural forest, and this habitat is now really rare and decrease each day :? ... I'm not optimist for the futur really...

Gorillas is probably a good experience for sure, but it is absolutly too expensive for us. It is about 600 dollars for a day / per persons :shock: .
And in effet we are not fans or touristics places and trips... But a guy said to us that, sometimes, gorillas get down out the park, and sometimes cross in the village ! This must be a strange experience!

And yes we was surprise to find the nasicornis above the ground, but finally it move easely. Slowly, but easely!
Matthieu Berroneau

Postby Rémon ter Harmsel » Tue May 09, 2017 2:55 pm

Matthieu Berroneau wrote:Thanks Gabriel,
Gorillas is probably a good experience for sure, but it is absolutly too expensive for us. It is about 600 dollars for a day / per persons :shock: .
And in effet we are not fans or touristics places and trips... But a guy said to us that, sometimes, gorillas get down out the park, and sometimes cross in the village ! This must be a strange experience!

And yes we was surprise to find the nasicornis above the ground, but finally it move easely. Slowly, but easely!

I agree the 600 dollars is a sh*tload of money. I was in Uganda in 2012 and did do the gorilla trekking (was 'only' 500 by then). Expensive yes, but definitely worth it!!

I also found nasicornis there, also at about 1.5m up in a tree
8-)
Rémon ter Harmsel

Hometown: Wageningen

Postby Matthieu Berroneau » Tue May 09, 2017 3:47 pm

Thanks, good experience !
Matthieu Berroneau

Postby Noah Meier » Tue May 09, 2017 7:28 pm

Amazing trip Matthieu! I really enjoyed your fantastic pictures and the phenomenal video. Must have a great experience... ;) A.hispida is such a cool species!
Noah Meier

Hometown: Boebikon

Postby Tomas Klacek » Wed May 10, 2017 8:31 am

Great pictures and species. Love the video! Thanks for charing.
Tomas Klacek

Hometown: Jicin

Previous

Return to Herping in the rest of the world