UAE October 2017

For your reports/images, made outside Europe and the "Mediterranean" countries. Not to be too narrow minded and limited to our European/Mediterranean herps.

Re: UAE October 2017

Postby Ruggero M. » Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:08 am

Berislav Horvatic wrote:
Bobby Bok wrote:Oh no hard feelings or so, just weird that you ask a fellow herper for money.
It wouldn't even occur to me.

As I said, "Bad luck. Bad people. Try to forget it." Never had an experience like that. My guests
in the field usually insist to treat me to a dinner after herping together, which I don't refuse, but
it can also be the other way round, if we stay together for a few days... Normal people, normal
behaviour. Sapienti sat.

I never found myself in the situation of asking money for an herping trip, because I do another job and because where I live you are lucky enough, today, if you'll find a green lizard.
But I would not define people who ask money for herping tours as "bad people".
Let's suppose I live in a reptile paradise (maybe Borneo?) and I have years of experience in herping and herping places.
Someone ask me to bring a group of people in the right places, and to reach those places I have to spend time, fuel, attention, patience and experience.
And maybe also risk my life with dangerous species. I could do this just for "friendship" or "common love for herping" or "pure fun", but I don't see any bad thing either if I'll ask money for my time and experience, without the fear of being judged a "bad guy". At least the money to compensate, maybe, my 300 kms roads with my jeep... (just as an example).
Ruggero M.

Hometown: Pavia

Postby Jeroen Speybroeck » Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:26 am

But can you really draw a line between fellow herper and guide? If the former wants to act as the latter, he / she better be worth it, obviously.

Loved the report, btw!
Jeroen Speybroeck
Site Admin

Hometown: Merelbeke

Postby Daniel Kane » Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:05 am

Yeah I can't really explain that one, Bobby. Like has been suggested perhaps it's to do with the distinction between catching up with friends and taking people you've never met on a safari.

We did get the bill for a meal one evening but the food out there was so inexpensive it was more just a gesture of appreciation. Seems we had quite different experiences.
Daniel Kane

Hometown: London

Postby Berislav Horvatic » Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:25 pm

Ruggero Morimando wrote:But I would not define people who ask money for herping tours as "bad people". Let's suppose...

Ruggero, I understand your argumentation, but we, around here, are mostly not in a position like that you described.
I treat (welcome) guests as guests, not as "clients". I don't spend a lot of gasoline and/or money to lead them to the
best places I know. I enjoy the common fieldtrip together, in good company, as much as they do, it's an opportunity
for me to "go out" as much as it is for them, so, ... I suppose, no need to explain myself further.

Jeroen Speybroeck wrote:But can you really draw a line between fellow herper and guide? If the former wants to act as the latter,
he/she better be worth it, obviously.

I meant just guiding (welcome) people to the best places I know, not serving as an "official guide" in any sense.
And yes, if I promise my visitors that, I know what I'm doing. And I always warn my guests in advance that there
are at least two things I'm simply NOT able to produce: favourable weather and herps.
Being "worth it", what should that imply?
Berislav Horvatic

Hometown: Zagreb

Postby GertJan Verspui » Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:42 am

Which species did you mean with: 'you know what species'?

Great report and a good place to herp, the money thing happened to us (Jürgen & me) also..
And that is their choice, I found more interesting stuff myself than at their patch of sand.

Guess who almost offered a BJ for info about our found Pseudocerastes there..
Amphibian & Reptile Adventures http://www.gertjanverspui.com
Instagram: @gj.verspui_wildlife
Facebook: Gerrit Jan Verspui
GertJan Verspui

Hometown: Giessenburg

Postby Daniel Kane » Sat Oct 21, 2017 9:57 pm

The main target at that location was persicus. I have a sneaking suspicion that this species may be a lot more widespread in mountains of UAE, especially considering the abundance of Musandam records and similar habitat heading south from there. Factor in the ruggedness of habitat and the number of people actually out looking and, at least to me, it's not surprising that so few seem to turn up.

Strange (again) about the money thing but I guess you showed that you get what you give!
Daniel Kane

Hometown: London

Postby Berislav Horvatic » Sun Oct 22, 2017 5:29 pm

Daniel Kane wrote:Strange (again) about the money thing but I guess you showed that you get what you give!

I'm not sure whether this is a response to what I wrote, but yes, I do get what I give, give or take a bit,
we're not (ac)counting precisely, but always in a friendly way. After all, life is short, and good company
is scarce...
Berislav Horvatic

Hometown: Zagreb

Previous

Return to Herping in the rest of the world